[Resolved] Intelius / they're a rip off

United States Review updated:
3.35

I signed up with Intelius to do a reverse phone lookup. It said the number was listed in their service, and for $4.95 I could read the information.

Once I put in my card information, I was automatically charged $9.90 and could not back out of the deal. When I tried, it automatically went into another service of theirs for identity theft protection. It took a lot of tries to back out of this page.

Then I got an email saying it would take 48 hours to get the phone # information. I called my bank, and they said I could file a claim against the company, but would have little chance of getting my money back.

Don't use Intelius! They're a rip off!

Resolution statement

Intelius Customer Care's Response, Oct 16, 2009

Please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.
Va

Comments

Mo
  10th of Jul, 2008
I wanted a reverse lookup of a Verizon landline # in NJ. They sent me name and address of some shmoe in Ohio. Went to 411.com and they had the right information (no info no charge). Fact is they will just make up garbage and charge you for it if they don't have the info. And they rarely if ever have any info. They refused to refund. They are 100% rip-off. Dispute ongoing.
Gl
  18th of Nov, 2008
I agreed to pay $2.95 to find an address, never got it and later found out I had been paying $19.95 a month for an Identity Protection (that I could have gotten for $7.95) for 4 months! I don't even remember agreeing to this service. When I called them (from the number off my credit card statement) they removed one month and cancelled my service, but they still "robbed me" for 60 bucks! That's stealing without a gun! Avoid Intelius at all costs.
Jo
  7th of Jul, 2009
Whenever you purchase ANYTHING from Intelius, they automatically enroll you in their "identity protection" service for $19.95 a month, and they never even tell you that you have agreed to it. This service consists of-literally-nothing and is just meant to rob you of $20 a month until you notice it. Do not use Intelius!
As
  13th of Dec, 2011
THEY ARE TOTALLY A RIP OFF! DON'T U EVER GO THERE LOOK FOR PEOPLE'S INFORMATION. THEY JUST WANT TO MAKE MONEY RIPPING OFF AND PROVIDE ANY INFORMATION THAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR.
THEIR WEBSITE IS A SHAM!! THEY DON'T DO ANYTHING AND STEAL MONEY FROM YOUR CREDIT CARD BECAUSE THEY NEVER GIVE YOU A REFUND EVENTHOUGHT U R NOT COMPLETYLE SATISFY WITH THE SERVICE THEY PROVIDE.
CUSTOMER SERVICE PPL TRAINED WELL TALKING VERY SMOOTHLY AND CLEVER NOT TO GIVE YOUR MONEY BACK.
THEY KEPT SAYING NO REFUND WHAT SO EVER AND OFFER ANOTHER FREE SEARCH FOR NOT GIVING MONEY BACK. HE SAID THAT'S THE ONLY THING THEY COULD OFFER EXCEPT MONEY BACK. BUT
WHY SHOULD i WASTING MY PRECIOUS TIME TO SEARCH FOR OTHER PPL'S INFO FROM THEM WHICH i DON'T EVEN SATISFY WITH THEIR SERVICE? i CAN IMAGINE THERE SHOULD BE MANY PPL GOT RIPPED OFF FROM INTELIUSL.COM AND GOT MAD AND WALK AWAY WITH 0% SATISFACTION.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM EVEN IF IT IS CHEAP $0.95 SERVICE! IT JUST GONNA MAKE YOU TO PURCHASE ANOTHER ONE FOR NO USE.
Da
  4th of Apr, 2012
Yes they have ripped me off. I went there payed $.95 then was charged $4.46 got nothing and found out I was charged $19.95 on 2/5 another $19.95 on 2/8 then another 0n 3/5, 3/8, and now 4/2, 4/3. I called several times even got a confirmation number still charged. Now I have a refund for 2 $19.95 charges but it seems I will have to fight for the rest of my money. I called and canceled in February, March and now twice in April.
I have had to cancel my card so no more charges can be debited from my account.

Intelius Logo Intelius