Integrated Marketing Systems / Poor employee treatment

1 Pacific Beach, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 858-490-8800

IMS - Pacific Beach, CA - public project information for A/E/C: O.k., I am not exaggerating when I say this is the most backwards and negative environment I have EVER been in, and I've been in RETAIL! Let's paint a picture: No training, then you're written up for not getting training but they say something like 'You should know this' how?! Without training? But that doesn't matter. If you make your goals you are harassed to make higher numbers (then repeat this step), the CEO is so beyond himself he likes to remind everyone how replaceable everyone is, how they're are no jobs available...it's all about gimmie more and you're worthless...no respect, no encouragement, they make up (no validity) reviews to paint this other you you never met to give a poor review as a way to say you do not deserve a raise, so no one gets a raise, so basically: if you do what they want, they want more and you are trash. It's crazy how blatant they are about it too. It reminds me of movies I've seen of under paid slaves: They make Master what he is (successful) and slave is beaten. They try every 9 months to harass employees until they leave (avoid paying unemployment) to bring in lower paid employees and the cycle begins again. They absolutely see employees as trash. Crap bene's, very little time off and you are encouraged not to use them, no sick pay and they looooove to remind everyone of this at meetings too. There is no logic. There is no leadership. There is no consistency of how things should be done. They have stayed in business in spite of themselves. And all it is is a research job! Just research posted public sector projects looking for consultants! Wow, rocket science...everyone laughs at the CEO, President and VP behind the backs. On the same token though we are all upset to be treated so poorly 40 hrs a week. Bullies with a stick, that's all. Then they act like "What? Why would anyone be upset here...it's the employee, not the employer." Delusional. It's maddening to be there. I know there is no such thing as job security but to be an absolute nightmare to another human being is sickening. Oh, and that open door policy? Forget it, they own the company and are related. If you have a valid complaint it just makes your bullseye bigger. AND lastly, they make the worst business decisions...ugh. Runaway! They do not believe in employee benefits, care or health.

Comments

30th of Jul, 2008

Soliciting on a support group site. WTF???

• 53
      19th of May, 2009

I've been in environments like this before. Keep a journal of all these problems and consult a lawyer. You could have a Hostile Environment claim. Report them to the EEOC and Dept. of Labor. If they make you work through lunches or work late without paying you, contact the Wage and Hour Division of the Dept. of Labor.

12th of Apr, 2011

I also had a horrible experience working for the company I've come to call "I'm a Mess" because of its callous disregard for their employees. President Mom-in-Law asked people to write down their ambition, and when I put mine down they told all of us they were going to help us achieve that goal. Then they asked me when I wanted to leave. I told them I didn't but gave them a tentative date which they said I could later change. Then they told me they'd already filled my position. Then they told me that they'd give me a reference. Then they made me sign a waiver saying that "My departure was totally voluntary, " otherwise they would not give me a check. Then when I had a friend call for a reference, they claimed I "did not manage my region well." These people are not only poor employers, but pathological liars as well. Only apply for work at "I'm a Mess" if you are a practicing masochist.

12th of Apr, 2011

I also had a horrible experience working for the company Ive come to call Im a Mess because of its callous disregard for their employees. President Mom-in-Law asked people to write down their ambition, and when I put mine down they told all of us they were going to help us achieve that goal. Then they asked me when I wanted to leave. I told them I didnt but gave them a tentative date which they said I could later change. Then they told me theyd already filled my position. Then they told me that theyd give me a reference. Then they made me sign a waiver saying that My departure was totally voluntary; otherwise they would not give me a check. Then when I had a friend call for a reference, they claimed I did not manage my region well. These people are not only poor employers, but pathological liars as well. Only apply for work at Im a Mess if you are a practicing masochist.

27th of Aug, 2011

I'm trying to understand what happened to a similar post I put here recently (within 90 days of this one). I had a similar experience with this company, in which the president (who is the CEO's mother-in-law) advised people that if they wanted to pursue a career beyond IMS, they should approach them with this and IMS would "help them to achieve their goals." I took them up on their offer, and their offer of assistance was to ask me to give them "a tentative date" for which I would be leaving. I informed them that I did not wish to leave but to pursue another career path. They told me their procedure was to have the employee pick "a tentative date" which, they assured me, could be moved up if I found nothing in the interim. A co-worker approached me and told me he would be moving into my office when I left. I approached the CEO with this and he told me that my replacement had already been selected and that since I had told them I would be leaving they couldn't hold my position any longer. I asked them if they would give me a reference and they assured me (both CEO and President Mother in Law) that they would. I went to get my check and they had me sign a form saying that my departure "was totally voluntary, " therefore, the tightwad company that does not give pay raises, has no benefits, and does not pay sick time would then no longer be forced to pay unemployment. Later, when I asked for a reference, they told me that I had "not managemed my region well." I intend to sue this company for wrongful termination as well, but need other people who are familiar with their reckless treatment to help form a case against them.

• 91
      19th of Jun, 2014

Thank you for your comment it helped me decided not to interview there! I seen it on another site as well and on that site the person who was for the company had no valid points.