Inspurrations Cattery / Sick Cat Died Young

My 6-year-old cat, purchased from Inspurrations Cattery when he was a baby, died this month from Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD), a genetic and fatal disease found predominantly in Persian cats. When I contacted the owner of Inspurrations, Jackie Margulies, to tell her, last year, about my cat's diagnosis, she said she had never heard of PKD, which I found horrifying given that she's been a breeder for many years. She offered me another kitten at half price. I declined as that was not the point of my contacting her. I urged her to test my cat's mother and father and then contact owners of those kittens. PKD is genetic. PKD is fatal. I contacted her this month to tell her my cat had died and to ask her if she had done her due diligence in testing the breeding pair and contacting owners -- especially if any of those kittens was sold to another breeder. I never heard back, so I have no idea if she did or did not contact them. Or if she ever bothered testing the queen and sire. But I would not recommend buying a kitten from Inspurrations without insisting the breeder test the kitten for PKD first or offer proof that the breeding pair was PKD negative, which requires a now widely available and non-invasive genetic test.

Si
Jul 25, 2016

Comments

31st of May, 2017

Hi, I have a kitten from Jackie, born November 2013. Would you mind disclosing the patent names of your kitten? I'm so sorry for your loss.

• Cu
      26th of Jun, 2017

@Jag1882 My kitten was born in January of 2012 from Inspurrations. I would also like to know the parent's names of your beloved cat. My cat is now 5 yrs old. I am also very sorry for your loss🙏🏽
    . It is imperative that all breeders test for both PKD and HCM. Thanks.

22nd of Aug, 2018

Dear person issuing a complaint against me,
    I’m very sorry for your loss. Can you please contact me with proof of purchase from my cattery and necropsy report. I’m of course aware of Pkd since I started breeding 10 plus years ago. It runs in lines and my lines have largely remained the same. I have no known correlation of an issue with any of my breeding moms and dads. I would appreciate the info. Thank you. -Jackie Margulies

• Mb
      19th of Feb, 2019

@SibCatLover: I'm skeptical of your claim of negligence and misrepresentation without you stating the parent names. I'm not a shill, just a dude who bought two siberians from Inspurrations in early 2015. We have a golden/brown tabby and a seal point born in October 2014. The cat with the closet genetic relation a Persian, the seal point, father is Vitaly and mother is Marina. I can say that _at this point_, neither has had any major health issues (or minor in fact).

I can't say whether or not Marina or my cat(s) will develop or have had PKD (obviously Marina's health status is unknown to me). I expect that being a breeder is extremely competitive, and I can say that putting an inflammatory remark on the internet without citing critical information for others makes the legitimacy of your claim questionable.