Industry Models and TalentPhotoshoot Scam

B Review updated:

I am forwarding this message on behalf of my daughter Joanne Imbert. We signed a photo shoot contract with Industry Model and Talent Studios. The cost of the photo shoot was $950.00. That night we only paid half of the amount charged, and promised to pay the rest the following week. They stated that in order for us to get a refund, we would have to cancel the deal within 3 business days. We signed the contract on Friday night at 8:00 pm on February 15, 2007. Saturday, and Sunday should not have been counted as business days. We cancelled the contract on Tuesday, the 19th of February by faxing the company a cancellation letter followed by a phone call to the person in charge. She claimed that the company would not refund the deposit since that Saturday and the Sunday were considered two business days; following that statement, they hung up the phone. Those days were not legal business days, and that is what everyone goes by. Some acquaintances of ours who have been trying to get into the modeling industry have expressed similar disapointments with Industry Model and Talent Studios. We would like to get our money back because we have cancelled within three business days. The reason for deciding to opt out of the contract was after careful reading of their policies we had realized that they could market the pictures without our approval, and we would have to pay extra to obtain the pictures.

• C
      Dec 01, 2009

[[[[[[[[[ This company is a HUGE SCAM ]]]]]]]]]

I recently posted my resume on Yahoo! hotjobs and they called me (a day after I posted my resume) asking me to come in for a "managerial" position with Industry Studios. The girl I spoke with, "Pamela", sounded very young and very inexperienced when speaking on the phone. She kept going "umm" as if she was uncomfortable. I asked a few questions about the position and all she told me was, "I don't have specific details about the position but you can find out all that information if you come in for an interview. We are looking to hire as soon as possible, so we need you to come in within the next few days." After I told her that was too short a notice, she was a little bit more lenient saying, "Well, how about the beginning of next week? As I said, we are looking to hire right away." She was rather pushy, right? I got sort of a weird vibe from the phone call but agreed to an interview nonetheless. "Pamela" said she'd send me a confirmation email (which I have yet to receive) and then told me I'd be meeting with someone named "Dana".

To prepare myself for this upcoming interview with "Dana" I do what I always do when I prepare for an interview, I try to find out as much about the company as possible. Someone once told me, "You should always research the company because it makes you look like you have thoroughly prepared for the interview and, if by chance, they ask you a question about their company, you will blow them away by knowing the answer."

So, I Googled "Industry Studios." I automatically clicked on the first link without even taking a second glance at the links below it. The website itself looks normal enough, nothing too fancy or too high-tech. I glanced at the website quickly and Xed out of the page, figuring I'd go back to it later to research more thoroughly.

So today, I did just that. And what I found out BAFFLED me. I went to Google's home page and typed in "Industry Studios" just as I had done the previous day. As I clicked on the first link, I quickly glanced down the page and saw the word "scam." I went back to Google's main page and re-read what I thought I had seen. The link read, "industry studios Complaints - scam company." I clicked on the link and it lead me to a website similar to this one, complaining about how they had been scammed. I clicked on a few more links from Google, and sure enough, what I had suspected was confirmed. Industry Model and Talent Studios IS a SCAM. I read an article from CBS 2, talking about how these people pretending to be "talent scouts" go to Malls and talk to every mother and child, trying to get them to come in. And once they do get them in they make them believe that they canget their child an acting or modeling job, push them to sign a contract (which states that they DO NOT have an obligation to find employment for the clients or to refund any money) AND then make them spend an absurd amount of money on photos.

The article is below.

I obviously will NOT be going in for an interview and am actually looking forward to "Pamela" emailing me so I can give her a piece of my mind. The sad part is, most employees are in the dark about all this. Apparently they target college grads or recent grads (trying to make money quick with little questions asked) knowing very well that college students/grads are more likely to work for a company they know little to nothing about. I am a recent college grad. So I fit the profile perfectly. I was just lucky enough to catch a glimpse of a word (scam) and find out the truth.

Good luck trying to get your money back! Having signed contracts, I don't know how likely that will be but do not give up the fight!

Below are more websites revealing Industry Studios for what it truly is. Even some former employees have written about it.

/URL removed/

/URL removed/

http://www.americanbadbusinesslist.com/theroundup2.htm (scroll all the way to the bottom)

• B
      Dec 28, 2009

I am forwarding this message on behalf of my daughter Joanne Imbert. We signed a photo shoot contract with Industry Model and Talent Studios. The cost of the photo shoot was $950.00. That night we only paid half of the amount charged, and promised to pay the rest the following week. That Monday as business days. They stated that in order for us to get a refund, we would have to cancel the deal within 3 business days. We signed the contract on Friday night at 8:00 pm on February 15, 2007. Saturday, and Sunday should not have been counted as business days. We cancelled the contract on Tuesday, the 19th of February by faxing the company a cancellation letter followed by a phone call to the person in charge. She claimed that the company would not refund the deposit since that Saturday and the Sunday were considered two business days; following that statement, they hung up the phone. Those days were not legal business days, and that is what everyone goes by. Some acquaintances of ours who have been trying to get into the modeling industry have expressed similar disapointments with Industry Model and Talent Studios. We would like to get our money back because we have cancelled within three business days. The reason for deciding to opt out of the contract was that after careful reading of their policies, we had realize that they could market the pictures without our approval and we would have to pay extra to obtain the pictures.

• K
      Jan 01, 2010

I'm a victim to this scam... Industry is full of sh*&. All they want is your money. I dont understand how they are still in business. I notified BBB, fox5 shame shame and I hired a lawyer. I give them $1000 for a photo shoot that I didnt even go too.Also they keep asking for more money. they are very unprofessional over the phone. they call about 3 times a day to see if you coming for the interview or photo shoot. I too was approach in the mall. They really had my hopes up. We need to put a stop to this...