The most trusted and popular consumer complaints website
Explore your opportunities! Create an account or Sign In

Indian Railway Employee / Misbehavior and excess charges!

1 India Review updated:

I want to keep Senior Officials of Indian Railways aware of a serious issue Which happened on 8th August 2007 when I went to Old Ghaziabad Railway Station to depart my mother to Meerut.

She was standing in Senior Citizen's queue to get her ticket. She provided the person on the other side of counter (Railway Employee) with Rs. 20 currency note. He provided her Ticket from Ghaziabad to Meerut worth Rs 10 and denied to provide the change of Rs. 10.

When I insisted to return the change amount he misbehaved with me and my mother. It was very embarrassing to stand there and listen to abuses and his shouts. As the train was ready on platform, we have to leave the ticket counter without pursuing with any complaint of that person to the station master.

The employee was also not wearing a Name Badge.

This experience with Indian Railway was life time bad experience.

My passenger Ticket Details are as under:
Ticket From Ghaziabad to Meerut City.
Ticket Number: G [protected]
Train No.: 4225.
Date and Time: 8th Aug, 2007, at 18:26pm,
Other Details:
Number Printed on the Top Left of Ticket: R10505
UTS: 05688A7702

Sort by: UpDate | Rating


  • Ra
      1st of Dec, 2007
    0 Votes

    This has now become a tendency in railway employees to abuse and misbehave with the pessangers , I think that they have no fear of anybody, you can easily find TTEs abusing and misbehaving with innocent passengers on railway stations , I suggest you to complaint to DRM office ( Senior divisional commercial manager ) of your area , you can get the address of the DRM office from your nearby rly station , there is a complaint cell for such type of activities by rly employees. Request for the answer from them in your request . If you don't get an answer within a month , send an application to get the answer as per the right to infomation act . You can easily find information about how you can get the info about your complaint as per RTI act on internet by making a search of RTI .
    so don' let the culprit go scot free .

  • Ga
      8th of Jul, 2008
    0 Votes

    On july 6 i was travelling from Mumbai to vadodara .I was having Confirmed reservation ticket of Vadodara express.
    But thogh i missed the train i cought the running train Dehradun express which was just leaving the station.
    But when ientered in it TTE came and asked me for ticket
    i showed him the Vadodara exp ticket and then he asked me to pay penalty .I even paid the panalty of 470 rupees i asked him for less than that though i hd ticket he started disputing and quarreling with me and used bad language and asked me to leave the train as well as compartment even after penalty. then i asked him for seat for the amonut i paid he bacame uncontrolled and physically heart me.
    Then i asked him for his id card no .he refused me to show .
    then i called up to railway police guards .Infromt of them as well
    he used bad language but showed me the PAN card instead of ID card.
    finally i took his Id card no for to register a complaint against him.But even after paying 670(Penalty)+214(reservation ticket amount) whole night i was near toilet.
    Please some body tell me how shall i take the action so that
    he will be punished so that he will nt do this again with anybody.
    I need your help

    I have the follo details of him(TTE)

    Name v.k.Panchal
    Train name Dehradun Express.

  • Du
      2nd of Oct, 2011
    0 Votes

    I am airforce employee and went for reservation at Delhi Cantt Rly Station on 01 Oct 11 on concession form IAF(T) 1720 Sl. No. 37BB-126030 & 031. I asked onward journey from New Delhi to Amethi on 24 Oct 11 by Prayagraj Exp (Ticket from New Delhi to Amethi and Reservation from New Delhi to Kanpur Central). Reservation clk Mr Suresh Kumar at counter No. 251 had misbehaved with me. He said "I am not here to give you tour package and Concession Voucher is for shortest route not for diversion route. New Delhi to Amethi via Kanpur is not on shortest route. He forced me to take reservation by Padmawat Exp with Long waiting 277. Due to his miss behaved some times I may be sufferer and I may not get seat with this long waiting.

  • Pa
      28th of Sep, 2012
    0 Votes

    we claimed travelling allowance for the month of november december 2011 & january 2012 but DFM/KIR not pass the bill. We given many complain against him but nothing found. I want to know that when we found our allowances. We the staff of operating dept. KNE RLY STATION, N F RAILWAY. Div- KIR.

  • Ya
      31st of Mar, 2013
    0 Votes

    I Mr Yasin Shaikh want to make a complaint against Mr fazrul Shaikh who is railway employee in Matunga work shop. He is my Uncle and his crime is that he pull the railway pass on my mother name and shown her false document there.his add is Mariyam bai chawl near bail bazar chowki kurla andheri road.He should be punish soon.

  • Su
      5th of Apr, 2013
    0 Votes

    tte issued me a eft form gwl to jammu i have doubt the this eft is fake..what should i do my cell no 9301056756

  • Su
      5th of Apr, 2013
    0 Votes

    hi this is sonu goyal... right now i m journey by malwa express gwalior to jammu..i have a current ticket, TTE issued me a EFTs with palenty charges..but i have doubt that this EFT receipt is fake what should i do... my cell no 9301056756..

Post your comment