Independent Options Inc. / I was let go while on maternity leave

United States, California Review updated:
Independent Options Inc.
Three days after I gave Birth My work let me go. Origanally telling me that they had an at will policy that after being gone three months that they had the right to let you go. I finished up my disability and once cleared to go back to work I tried to file unemployment untilI could find a job. I was denyed by unemployment because Independent options told unemployment that I had quit. I called the company hoping the would rectify their mistakes but refused saying I quit. They lied. This company when I had worked for it broke so many rules from running out of gloves while on the job to not having proper supplies in the trasportaion vehicles. This company is so unorganized that I sent cobra money for my health insurance and 6 months later found out independent options hadn't paid my insurance. cobra sent the money to Independent options. When I called to find out why their response was that they had no way of knowing who's money it was. I did not have the funds to fight this company in court so I am doing the only other thing I can do and that is to warn people of this company so they don't keep getting away with all the stuff they get away with.

N  26th of Feb, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I also worked for this called company, I was LVN. They expose there patient's to danger, for example having the caregivers give them medication and guessing on the dose. I caught one of them doing this, this person lashed out towards me. I had let him know I was going to call the police on him. So the following two days I was called by admins, they did nothing about the incident. So I gave notice and left. I feel bad for these patients, what kind of treatment they are getting. Please read do not put your loved one's in this PLACE. DANGER DANGER. Concern LVN, soon to be RN!!!
A  7th of May, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I also worked for this Company and it is the worst place I have ever worked for. I worked for their day program, Advanced Options on Chicago Ave., in riverside, Ca. They do not give you breaks as required by law, and just recently I quit because the Supervisor there brought me into her office one day, and told me that- "It was illegal to talk about God in the work place." I could not believe what I was hearing!!! How ridiculous was that, when her mere existence is because of GOD!!! What truly is illegal is to not give breaks to your employees! That I am sure is against the law! We couldn't even heat up our own meals if we wanted to eat, she applied a rule about "Her doing that for us because we took too long to warm up our food" I am reporting this place to the Labor Board, and to the EEOC. Hope you do the same!
N  5th of Jul, 2010 by

Independent Options Inc. - Employee relationships

Also their administrators do nothing about complaints being brought to their attention. Instead of looking into the problem or taking action, he just ignores it. There are two employees that are in a so-called relationship and during work hours spend time together. Staying after their shift is over or comeing over when their not working. They stay in one of the houses alone and even lock the doors! This is unacceptable! Mr.Potter why is it that your staff can't confide in you and tell you? Trust? confidentiallity?
N  26th of Jan, 2012 by
I worked for independent options.after I quit I called corporate to see if they could help me out to get a copy of my certifications, I never got them and an attitude was given to me.I loved the consumers I worked and administrator was great.i wouldn't mint working for him again. Corporate should appreciate employees and former employees
N  10th of Feb, 2012 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
advance options allows 2 10 min breaks and your lunch has to be eaten with the consumers, you do not have to clock out for your breaks, your paid 8 hours, the schedule is mon-fri 8a-4p. you are allowed to heat up your food, you just have to communicate to your fellow co workers where your going and what your doing and theyll help you out, that hasnt been an issue with me.
the day program at this point in time is runned smoothly, its organized and the staff all get along great, there are no black sheep, everyone respects each other and has everyones back.
As far as talking about god, i honestly doubt the supervisor said that unless you were cramming your ideology down someones throat and slamming it. when you go to a work place your there to work, leave your politics, religon, drama at the door. i cant speak for the whole company, but as far as the day program? its runned about as good as any program should, i challenge anyone to come in and critique otherwise
N  11th of Apr, 2012 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
this company is a joke, i worked there for almost 2 years and never had any right ups or anything. theyll hire ANYONE! my so called house leader was so non educated. they expect people to bend over backwards for them for pennys on the dollar and expect good care and happy people. i had my regular two days off and i requested another 2 days off and went on vacation. the day i came back i was fired and they told me they didnt have to tell me why, that it was at will. so i got fired for no reason. and let me tell you they let me go when i as the hardest worker there, i sacraficed time with my family to be there to help and they let me go for no reason. there is people who steal that work there, people on drugs, and people doing sexual acts at the facilities! they need to realy clean up that place its pathetic
N  9th of Feb, 2013 by
I worked there years ago... what hell it was. My supervisor was a whack job who disciplined me for asking if he needed help putting a computer together saying I was crossing the line and being nosy. The evening shift would have their friends over and would smoke weed and drink in the facility while the patients were asleep. The guy who was the manager had 4 DUIs to the supervisor's knowledge and yet drove his car onto the facility grounds. The night shift would sleep and do drugs because the boss didn't show up at night. Medication was stolen and blamed on me because I was the new guy. Main reason I got fired was because the supervisor and I disagreed on a patient's behavior AFTER he asked for my opinion. Me who spent countless hours with her and he who occasionally checked in because most days he was out with his daughter spending company money. I even knew the owner of the company. He is greedy and lives in a gigantic mansion in Riverside County. It claims to be non profit while the company collects the client's checks like a foster parent. Don't work here because you will get attached to the patients and watch them get taken advantage of because while they are under this company's care they are screwed
N  8th of Sep, 2013 by
Beware! After working for this Company for more than 15 years, I was told that it was time to part ways. I had been injured seriously by another employee, and had to have surgery and PT. When I had finally been released to return to work they told me I was a liability due to my slow healing injury. The employee who caused my injury and who was also never reprimanded, they still had their job and I didn't! I could go on for hours about all of the cover-ups, clients rights issues, Employees not getting their proper breaks. Having to come to work very ill because there are no substitutes to cover your group. Administrators not being at facilties, off doing personal business leaving Program Staff in charge. If you find yourself in a position like I did. Fight for your rights! I Did! There are many good attorneys out there to help, who do not require money upfront.
N  8th of Sep, 2013 by
@RTB87 YOUR FULL OF IT! Staff do not get two 10 min breaks, as stated by law. Your lucky if you get a restroom break. So much for 1 to 3 ratio. (Staff/ clients.) If a coworker is absent, you could have up to 4/5 client's per staff. Talk about disregard for the law and safty of the clients and employees !
N  11th of Jul, 2014 by
I also worked for this company back in 2003 till Oct-Nov, it's not that the company is a joke it's that they have the wrong people working for them; and NO the others don't have anyone's back not in my case anyways!!! I worked in a group home in Riverside and I repeatedly watched one if the house leaders as they called them back then abuse and disrespect the consumers and it pissed me off, I also witnessed them stealing food from them as well taking Gallons of milk, cheese and all sorts of stuff, they would make shopping lists for the clients and add stuff for their homes, I watched them steal the clients money their parents would send them!! I was disgusted and told Sue Cole and she did nothing, I also had issues because the owners son and I Jason would flirt and wanted to date and I had the house leader get in my face and physically assault me and then lie about it! Needless to say I quit that day went to leave and my cell phone was stolen and I know for a fact the house leader stole it!! A lot of unprofessional people working here and the place should be investigated...