ILX resorts

possible fraud?

4.5
ILX Resorts
Sedona, Arizona
We bought into the ILX group, during one of the famous 'the deals only good right now' episodes. Then, less than a year later, we got a call from ILX. They wanted us to upgrade our bi-annual to an annual. After listening to their speil, and being told at least 3 times during the conversation that our payments would go down, we told them to send the paper work. We filled out the paper work, but should have reacted to the red flag of no lender info.
We had assumed that the same outfit that financed our first purchase would also be the one for this. At a much lower interest rate too. 3 times I was told over the phone that our payments would be $155/mo. for 7 years, and if we kept paying our current payment of $208/mo, we could pay this off in 5 years. We signed.
Then, we waited for something from ILX pertaining to payments, like to who, where, simple stuff like that. All the time, we were getting unsolicited stuff from Bank of America, who we were not doing business with(or so we thought, read on), and were throwing it in the junk mail bin.
One day we get a call f rom Bank of America, stating we were behind 3-4 months payments! Seems that somehow, and I know neither one of us approved it, we had a BoA line of credit for our loan! Suprise!
After numerous calls to BoA, and ILX, we found out that BoA certainly did hold the paper on the upgrade. Also, the $155/mo payment we were told was for 7 years turns out to be a promo, only good for 6 months.
Now, our payments are over double what we were quoted.
Again, neither of us approved a line of credit from BoA. I've talked to ILX, was told our payments would go down to the promised $155/mo, but I just opened my latest bill, and it's still over double what we agreed upon.
I'm now waiting for someone from ILX to call back after they once again talk to BoA.
If they can't/won't put the payments back to what they promised, with the interest rate they promised, the next question I'll ask them is the phone number for the local law enforcement office so I can file a fraud charge.
The resort is beautiful, but certainly not worth the hassle.
I, at this time, cannot recommend anyone to buy from ILX.
Complaint comments Comments (5)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Timeshares / Vacation Rentals

Comments

N  3rd of Jan, 2009 by    0 Votes
Update on this complaint.
After contacting the top management at ILX, we got the problem corrected, and are happy with the details of our new deal. Couldn't be any better actually.
ILX does seem to care about it's members. It just takes getting the right person, in this case the founder, involved. After that, they were more than happy to make us happy.
N  5th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
ILX has been nothing a nightmare. You can't get in touch with anybody in Sedona, and they always transfer your call. I have yet to be able to stay in Los Abrigados even when it is my week. ILX SUCKS AND WILL BE HEARING MY LAWYER.
N  18th of Aug, 2009 by    0 Votes

ILX resorts - Ripped off
ILX resorts
Sedona
Arizona

I hate to admit it, but I was taken BIG TIME by this bunch. When we went thru the dog and pony show that got us involved with them, we were told we would be buying our time at Los Abrigados. What they didn't say, was we really were just buying time at 'any one of our premier resorts'. I've been scammed when we upgraded, which I detailed earlier here, and now realize I was scammed as to being able to ever stay at Abrigados. I tried to reserve my time 4 months in advance, only to be told that all the rooms were taken a year in advance. Not the 'you can reserve your time at very short notice' I was promised. If I want to rent a room there, for $229/ night, they have plenty to choose from. Just not any for an owner to use his time on. It's a scam where owners(more like investors just making a buck) who never intend on staying there lock up all the rooms in advance, and ILX re-rents them. I really doubt I'll ever get to stay there.
Now, since the rest of the vacation was already planned, thinking we had a lock on Los Abrigados, we have to settle for a glorified best western, six miles away!
If your looking for a timeshare, don't bother here. There are better deals to be had, with more honest people than what you'll find here.
A  2nd of Jun, 2010 by    0 Votes
Two weeks after my father died in 2004 my sister and I went to Las Vegas. (We already had the trip planned.) We met a "timeshare rep" that promised us a gift (I have even forgot what the gift was.) My sister told me to go, I was a widow at that time with a 14 year old daughter. The place is the Carriage House, which is very nice. The talk was smooth and inviting. For $8K I could have a bi-annual week in Las Vegas. Having not traveled much, I thought it would be fun for my daughter and I. So I signed on the dotted line. Then I up-graded to a 2 bedroom for 14K @ 17% plus 14 additional weeks.

I used it that spring, and have used it twice since. The maintenance fees were affordable because they were broken in half. Now they have doubled in price.

I re-married in 2005 and have kept the timeshare in my name so not to involve my husband because he was trying to get out of the one he and his ex had.

My husband asked me to sell it so I listed it on e-Bay. No takers even just to pay off the balance. I have listed it on e-Bay, I offer, Craigslist and the only inquiries are by the timeshare reselling sharks.

In 2008 I was medically retired due to a severe back injury and stress/depression. My salary was cut in 1/2; (I was a teacher) so half of not much is very little.
(Impulse buying is very characteristic of someone with depression after a major life event. My husband died in 2000, my brother died in 2003, and my father died 8 months later in 2004.)

I talked to my attorney about what to do and he said stop payment to ILX and Concord Financial/Textron Financial
. Which I did and also stopped paying Interval International for their fees. I have begun to get the nasty letters. I have written to ILX, about my disability retirement and being on a pension. They cared less about my situation.

I found this information in the CHTA (Carriage House Timeshare Association) newsletter:(they are not associated with ILX)

"General Manager Amy Lowell spoke about the recent Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection filing by ILX Resorts. She began by reviewing the relationship with ILX Resorts. In 2001 the CHTA sold 600 weeks to ILX Resorts, a vacation club based in Phoenix, Arizona. Their primary resort is located in Sedona, Arizona but they also have timeshare weeks at a number of other resorts in Arizona, Indiana, Colorado, Nevada and Mexico. They paid the Carriage House $870, 000 for the weeks purchased. Since that time, ILX has purchased additional Carriage House weeks for their vacation club members. They were purchased from various sources including the CHTA foreclosure sales, from timeshare developer Diamond Resorts and directly from those Carriage House owners that wanted to sell their week. They now own approximately 2200 weeks. The relationship has been financially beneficial for the association and for many of the former members. Had ILX not bought these weeks many of them would have been left unsold in the inventory and the Annual Maintenance Assessments would not have been collected.

Unfortunately, due to the current economic situation, ILX Resorts has made a decision to file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection. This means they have requested protection from their creditors while they reorganize their company. A significant contributing factor for this filing is the exiting of their major lender, Textron Financial, from the financing business. Alternative financing is scarce in today’s environment. The majority of the weeks are not actually owned by ILX but by one of their subsidiary companies Premiere Vacation Club. At this time, Premiere Vacation Club is not directly affected by the bankruptcy filing. In speaking with ILX President Nancy Stone recently she advised that it is still “business as usual” for their vacation club. They intend to continue paying for, and utilizing their Carriage House weeks for their vacation club members. In the past, ILX has always paid their Annual Maintenance Assessments on time. This year, they paid for ½ of their weeks by the due date but were unable to pay the balance. A payment plan is in place and it is expected that by the end of the summer, they will have paid for all of the weeks owned. In the meantime, they will be limited to only using those weeks for which the assessment has been paid.

It is anticipated that ILX will make the payments for their weeks as it is clearly their intention for their Premiere Vacation Club to be a success. However, as a contingency plan, efforts will be made in researching other vacation clubs that might be interested in buying some of their weeks and or developing additional programs to rent the ILX weeks."

I have watched my credit score lose points from 720 now down to 680 and for a person with severe depression; it puts me deeper in stress and upping the medications.

A rep called me on May 15. 2010 and requested a payment of $9, 826, to which I replied "call my lawyer."

I was glad to see this web site and do hope ILX reads it.

Keep every communications in a folder and write down every time someone calls you about a delinquent payment.

Mvaught
N  10th of May, 2017 by    0 Votes
Does anyone have any recent information regarding ILX/Diamond Int? I stopped paying my maintenance fees a couple of years ago because they were prohibitive and the "vacation club" has become worthless. I could not sell my timeshare. I could not even give it away to a charity! Nobody wants it. I have now received a demand letter for all overdue fees, plus late charges, interest, etc, or there is a threat of legal action. Any similar stories out there? Advice?

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree