Illinois Heating and Cooling in Elgin, ILFurnace repair

Owner was out house for less than five minutes and recommended a new blower motor on my Trane XE-90 furnace.

Told me before leaving that he didn't know which replacement blower motor was needed, but would look it up and follow-up on purchase options to ensure reasonableness. I specifically asked owner to check on unit price of purchasing replacement on internet, as the only "Trane" blowers I found in researching on internet were Fasco brand, which were priced beginning at only $100. Owner said he was certain I needed a Trane branded blower and NOT a Fasco, as he would not be able to guarantee the later.

Owner said he'd investigate and call me next day. I paid $82 for hour service call, which he said he would cover the subsequent installation when part came in since he was barely at my home.

After several calls to owner and not hearing back for several days, I finally reached owner and he informed me that I indeed needed a Trane brand motor, which would cost me $450, if purchased locally buying through internet would only save me about $100, but I'd have to wait a few days. So I consented to the local $450 purchase option.

In coming days, after installing the unit he tried to intimidate me and DEMANDED payment of $610 - $160 higher than quoted AND he refused to credit me the promised $82 service call I already paid. I begrudgingly wrote a check for inflated full amount to get him out of my house.

After he left, I dug out the old blower, which he buried deep under the garbage. It was clearly marked that it was a Fasco brand blower. I then determined that the newly installed unit was also the same Fasco branded blower. I checked the internet, as I had requested several times of the owner (and told him I would wait for), and found that it only cost only $129 on internet - not the unsubstantiated and made up $450 he quoted me for "Trane".

I cancelled check and told him that I did not appreciate the bait and switch, being lied to about the part, the missing promised credit and the inflated bill. I immediately sent him a check for the "new" labor charges and the true part cost (including overly generous 50% mark-up). He returned it and demanded full payment plus outrageous penalties and put a mechanics lien on my home. What a piece of work!

Do not do business with this business.

He returned, installed new blower motor and charged me

Ke