IKEA / terrible experience

1 7171 Ikea DriveFrisco, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 972-712-4532

First of all, I live 45 minutes away from the Ikea store in Frisco. I shopped there on Saturday with my daughter and we chose a dining room set with 6 chairs, a bedroom set and a computer desk and chair. I intended to have the furniture delivered to our home. We stood in the long cashier line only to be told we should have gone to the other line to have the furniture delivered. So we stood in that line only to be told we should have paid the cashier first??? My daughter had to be at a wedding that evening so we left and I was to come back the next day to decipher how we were supposed to pay for the furniture and have it delivered.

Next day I came back and also chose a double bed and dresser for my son's room. So, I had two beds, two bureau's, a very large and heavy dining table, six dining chairs and a computer desk and chair picked out to be delivered. Once again, I stood in the long cashier line, just like they told me. The cashier told me I needed to order the merchandise from the home delivery line. I went to the home delivery line only to be told that this is a 'self-service' store and I am supposed to go get the furniture myself and bring it through the cashier line and then they would deliver it for a price. WHAT??? Sorry, but I am a female that weighs in at 120 lbs. Can you just picture me bringing two beds, two bureaus, a computer desk and chair and very heavy dining table w/six chairs through the cashier line? What a JOKE!! When I mentioned this to the manager in the delivery window, he told me if I couldn't bring the furniture there myself, I was out of luck. So basically, if I'm a single female, I can't shop at Ikea for my furniture. Isn't this discrimination??? Or am I missing something??? There is NOTHING in the store to let anyone know this ahead of time. No signs stating you have to be able to lift and cart your furniture yourself or you cant' shop here. AND I had previously asked one of the several people standing around the computer chatting on the showroom floor if I was filling out the form right. So any of you people that are going to say I; should have checked it out first and it's my fault, well, forget it because I DID. The girl said 'Yes, just take your order to a cashier when you're finished.'

I called customer service when I got home to express my concerns and the rude little jerk told me there are people in the warehouse to assist people in getting the merchandise on their carts to wheel through the cashier. This was after he verbally abused me for being so stupid as to think this store had customer service included. And I wasn't told this by any of the three disconcerned idiots chatting with each other around the computer in the showroom. And can you imagine wheeling all this furniture though an already busy cashier line? if you're going to pay for it to be delivered, wouldn't you think they could pull it off the shelves themselves? This place is a JOKE!! I hope their tenure is Dallas/Frisco is short lived. I don't think the city is desperate enough to have to put up with this kind of customer dis-service. And the manager that was supposed to call me back within 24 hours, hasn't yet. Wonder why???

Va

Comments

• Va
      17th of Oct, 2008

Just wanted to let everyone know that after posting a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and Pissed Consumers, I received a complete refund from IKEA in the mail. I am not required to return any of the items either. So I not only got a complete refund, I got the items too! Unfortunately, it is a gift card for IKEA but I am more than pleased with this resolution.

A company that wants to stay in business today must please the consumer or they stand to lose their business completely. I guess IKEA was at lease a little concerned!

Melissa, maybe you should try harder next time. Persistence pays off!!!

20th of Oct, 2008

I am afraid you are not in touch with reality. Where do you think you are shopping, Neiman Marcus?? If you want a personal shopper then you can pay (a lot) for that service, just go to Ethan Allen or another very expensive furniture store! The whole point about IKEA is that it's INEXPENSIVE which means you are not getting waited on like you're at Neiman-Marcus. Besides, the employees at IKEA will actually be glad to help if you just ask in their warehouse, I have done this several times with no problem.

• Va
      21st of Oct, 2008

I wanted to make a purchase at Ikea in the Canton store. I called to see if they would be able to help with my purchase as I can't walk through the acres of store looking for the item I wanted. I knew the item numbers I wanted, so called the store to see if they had a system in place so I could go to a service desk, make my purchase and have the items brought up. The answer was no. They only have wheel chairs - no carts. Huh? I asked what I was supposed to do, put the item on the arms of the wheel chair and wheel it through the store? The answer was "I don't know - we don't have anyone there who can help you." Oh, and shipping on the $250 item was $300.

31st of Oct, 2008

I get really pissed when you buy a product and when you are after parts or accesories for them the are out of stock or a dicontinued without you being advised.Good onya IKEA last time
    I buy anything from you guys!Buy Australian and play safe.

30th of Nov, 2008

"Sorry, but I am a female that weighs in at 120 lbs. "

"So basically, if I'm a single female, I can't shop at Ikea for my furniture. Isn't this discrimination??? Or am I missing something???"

Life seems so hard for you. You think you're the only 120 lbs woman to ever shop alone at IKEA? I realize IKEA procedure may seem weird, but it is what it is. That's life. You want your furniture. Pick it up. Ask for assistance in the self serve warehouse. You're going to have to put a lot of effort into it - pushing one cart to cash lanes, run back get another cart and fill it up, push that to cash lanes, pay for everything and push each cart over to delivery one at a time...it can suck. But just do it and ask for some help.

"I hope their tenure is Dallas/Frisco is short lived.'

It won't be. :)

• Ro
      14th of Mar, 2009

I have had a similar experience. Price should not mandate rude service at any location...

RG