IKEA / malm base and sulton fjordgard mattress - the worst

Do not make the same mistake that I made by purchasing this junk from IKEA (which I think is Swedish for uncomfortable), cost about a grand with delivery. The slatted base with that beam down the middle flexes in such a way that it puts pressure on the mid section of the body causing you to wake up with sore hips. The mattress is extremely hard and I have been unable to completely relax and get a decent night’s sleep on it. This combination feels like a worn out spring mattress, which is what this bed just replaced. The staff at IKEA seemed to know little or nothing about the product they are selling and were not helpful at all (I think I get it now, the sales person just stared at me as if to communicate “you’re stupid for buying this”). I bought this combination after seeing it displayed at the store. I did lay on it but the real test is sleeping on it. I spent more money purchasing a memory foam topper, now I’m into this fiasco for about $1100 and still sleep better on my couch. It’s a little better but the flexing issue still causes pain on the hips, by the way I’m a 5’10”, 155lb. male, pretty average. After trial and error I found a couple of books from my book case that limit the flex of the base to the point that it feels like cheap motel mattress. It suffices to say that next week I’ll be testing out the return policy at IKEA. I’m not sure if their delivery service picks up, so I may have to rent a truck take it all back.

Va

Comments

• Me
      5th of Feb, 2009

Mistake? I recently purchased this exact combination (Malm & Fjordgard) and find it extremely comfortable. Additionally, my chronic back pain was alleviated after just one night on this mattress.
    Why this angry, bitter wanker of a poster (TC) has posted this complaint on multiple boards is beyond me. Choosing a mattress is purely subjective and requires a bit of research and testing before buying. Ikea has a 90 trial period for all mattresses. That's 3 months, TC. Blame the "fiasco" on yourself, TC. Stop wasting time complaining and get a life.

• Bc
      8th of Aug, 2010

I just moved into a condo and wanted to buy a new bed + mattress as part of the move. A little background, I definitely prefer firm mattresses and I'm a stomach sleeper. I went to Ikea to try out all the mattresses over a 2 week period (in the store) I kept coming back to the Fjordgard. I also wanted a sexy platform bed so I purchased the Malm.

Long story short I love my bed. Mattresses are definitely subjective so my preferences may not match someone else but for me this was a perfect combo. The Malm is rock solid and the mattress provides the support I needed. The mattress does not move around and I've had no problems with the slats.

If you have different sleep patterns or are super picky this might not be the best combo for you. As for me I could sleep on a wooden floor if I have to, it's actually plush mattresses that cause me the most back pain.