IKEA / awful company

We purchased plates, cups, bowls and other assorted glassware from Ikea. The products were described as lilac hand blown glass. When we began to wash the plates and remove the stickers, we noticed that the clear spots were showing up on some of the plates. We were shocked to learn that the glassware is not really lilac, but instead it is made of clear glass and has some sort of plastic film covering. We checked the bowls and cups and found them all to be the same. Since the products are made in China we were a bit concerned that flakes of this plastic coating could get into our food and we have no idea what types of chemicals might be in the product. Not to mention, that after a few months, the dishes were going to blotchy messes of clear and lilac as the film continued to scratch or wear off. We called Ikea and told them we had traveled from a long distance to pick up the dishes, we told them that we were very unhappy that the plates were not advertised as

coated and we told them we wanted to be compensated. They expressed shock and said they had no idea that the glassware was not solid glass. We were told we would be refunded our money and compensated with coupons or store credit for our time and mileage. We returned to the store and our money was refunded, but they refused to give us any other type of compensation. They changed their story from what they had said on the phone and claimed they new the dishes were coated, but they were safe for use. We told them to post a sign so other consumers were aware, but they refused and told us they did not want to deal with our concerns. We want others to know that this film could flake and it could get into food products and beverages.

Va

Comments

• Va
      2nd of Oct, 2008

Ordered a bed a month ago, and still sleeping on the floor. My last e-mail to IKEA is below, and I'm on hold waiting for a supervisor right now.

"I ordered my furniture almost a month ago now, and after quite a bit of trouble with Purolator I finally got it at the start of September. However, when I went to put my Dalselv bed together, I noticed that some of the holes that were to be drilled in the frame were missing. I immediately called Ikea (on September 4th), spoke to a representative, and was told that someone would contact me in three to five days. My phone does not have voicemail and so an e-mail was sent to me on the 10th with contact times -- which were wrong. When I called on Friday September 12 at seven pm, as the e-mail said I could, customer service was closed. I called again last Monday, the 15th, and was put on hold for twenty minutes before speaking to a representative. She told me that I'd have to wait another thirty minutes before talking to someone else, and I wasn't able to do that because I was on my way to class. I asked if someone would be able to call on the Tuesday, and she said that wouldn't be a problem - but I didn't get a call until yesterday (September 20th) at noon, when I was in class. I bought an Ikea bed frame (among other things) a month ago, and am sleeping on a mattress on the floor. This problem could be rectified easily by sending a tech with a power drill to my apartment, and that's what I expect to happen as soon as possible. If it's not possible, I'd like to return my bed frame and the slats that go with it - I will buy another bed frame from someone else. Please have a supervisor call or e-mail me."

I called back on my own, October 1st, two weeks later. After missing Ikea's call once and then sending an e-mail, in which they PROMISED they'd call and never did.

DO NOT SHOP AT IKEA.

• Va
      11th of Nov, 2008

So I took the advice of my friends and family to give Ikea a try (a lot of them are from California and they swear by the place) so I figured I would brave the big blue and yellow monstrosity with bravery in mind and an appetite for a good deal when I was in the market for a new desk. I'll let the uber-hip sheik interior pass without reprimand as the real problem was when I bought my desk and finally carted it back home, it was missing half the screws. So I carted the darned thing back to the store and the customer service simply shrugged their shoulders. Literally, it was nothing more than that. So I've written to corporate. This is truly unacceptable.

What am I going to do with a half allotment of wonky screws, a few pieces of polished wood and an Allen wrench? Good riddance. If you do shop there make sure you check that everything is in the package as promised.

• Ka
      15th of Apr, 2009

what is it with people that complain about nobody calling them back when they are never home and have no machine? this is the 20th century you know.

19th of May, 2009

In my experience, even if you DO get all the parts, the item will fall apart within a few years. Great store for decorative items, crappy for furniture - just pitty those poor people who bought their KITCHENS & appliances there!!

• Zo
      8th of Aug, 2010

Today i bought two wardrobes from ikea wembley given to believe that they where the correct size height 229cms for the doors this was ok but i later checked that the frame was 236cms to tall paid for delivery that i tried to phone the company to council so i could return to ikea to rectify the mistake the following day the delivery company are called allways express sorry should be called never express delivery cause you can never get hold of them im actually wondering if they exist im so upset with ikea ive kitted out most of my flat with ikea products and still need to furnish my bedroom and living room ikes lose