IHOP muskegon Michigan / current management

Muskegon, MI, United States Review updated:

I am a current employee and I am extremely offended by the way management is caring for this location. I have personally worked my butt off to try and move up in the company from my current position. Instead I have been overlooked twice with almost 6 years management experience. It is becoming a family that is running the location. You have a mom as a manager, her son as a cook, and her daughter is now the other manager. I am not looking to lose my job but I don't believe it is very ethical. Not one person was interviewed for the position from inside the location. Many employees are upset about this but fear losing their jobs so they won't say anything. I just want a fair chance at moving up in the company and now I feel like I have no chance of moving up. It's definitely lowered my morale about even going to work. I love my job and have gone in everytime I am called. I want my job respect me and my qualifications that I can bring in.

Sh
Apr 28, 2018

Comments

•   Apr 28, 2018

Did you speak to your boss?

Apr 28, 2018

@SubSquirrel The new manager is literally just starting. When my boss told me about the person he said it was to get outside people and experience. I'm already half way through all of dineplate. I'm working on cook videos. This person now's nothing about anything we are doing.

I honestly don't think my boss cares about my opinion or my feelings. I see a whole family having an income while the other families struggle to just get recognized. I'm not the only person who would have deserved that position. I work hard and learn everything I can. I'm even assigned added tasks. I complete these tasks because I believe it is training me for moving up. I don't feel like that at all anymore. I truly hate that I feel this way.

I have very open communication with my boss. It's hard to keep that when everything is happening the way it is. Everyone deserves to be given a chance.

I appreciate you getting back with me.

•   Apr 28, 2018

It doesn't sound fair at all. Is there another iHop you can transfer to for a chance to be manager? If they keep it in the family, they'll lose valuable employees. Is the boss a franchise owner, or are they hired at will? If the latter, his boss may be able to help. Or, take that experience and find a manager position. Seems no chance for advancement there.

Apr 28, 2018

@SubSquirrel There isn't a closer location available. I wish there was. My boss is not the owner. We have already lost a couple valuable employees.

Apr 29, 2018

@SubSquirrel Thank you for speaking with me about my concerns. I really want to make this last so I believe I'm going to go with the flow and see how things turn out. I truly appreciate your time.