Idearc Media / Unconscionable billing practice

I signed up for advertising with Yellow pages (IDEARC MEDIA) in 2007. Dissatisfied with the results, I decided not to renew my contract for 2008. Then, I received bills for 2008 advertising. I attempted to contact IDEARC several times to no avail. I finally talked to a costumer relations person who said that he would have a supervisor return my call. I never received a return phone call. Then, I emailed IDEARC, and received a reply email indicating that this was the first time I contacted them regarding this issue! I sent letters and have received no response. Finally, I talked to another representative who informed me that I signed a contract in 2007 stating that IDEARC can renew my contract any year at their discretion without confirming with me! I was outraged. Then, to top matters off... IDEARC sent me to collections for not paying!

This is a total rip-off. They do not care about consumer satisfaction! Do not give them business because you will be sacrificing more than you think!

Horrible customer service and outlandish, unconscionable billing practice!

Va

Comments

• Er
      25th of Nov, 2008

First of all, to say that you did not receive a single phone call. The only way that would happen is if you 1) Had a listing rather than an actual ad, 2)assume you dont get calls because you dont track them, like most businesses, or 3) You did have a display ad, with bad content and/or had bad phone skills, therefore no customers!

Due to illegitimate complaints (assumption), we have gotten rid of the Automatic Renewal for our Print Advertisers.

We have since made a lot of changes to be more customer friendly. Our pricing has dropped significantly while still remaining one of the top advertising medias in the country, we have gotten rid of the bad apples (reps) and have created a more customer service based environment.

27th of Nov, 2008

I used to work for Idearc as a premise sales rep for 6 years... I've heard many experiences like you had, reps over promise and under deliver. Get away from that company!!!

Ernie... go sell a new or non before you get fired and stop posting here!!!

15th of Dec, 2008

Ernie, you are so full of BS its pathetic. Like Max, i'm also a former employee and what you are saying is garbage just like the directory itself. The entire company is a tree of bad apples so there is no way you can get rid of it.
    Like Max said, go sell something before you get fired. Better yet, go complete your "pipeline" and your pay period "projections". Your manager needs to know how many people you will be scamming this week.

• Re
      17th of Dec, 2008

I had been advertizing with verizon for 7 years and our fees for our ad was added onto our phone bill. about 2 years ago Idearc took over and started billing separately. 2 months before the end of our 2007 term was up (Feb) I contacted Idearc to tell them I no longer wished to advertise with them. they told me that it was too late to cancel and I would have to pay regardless. I asked how they could do this and Idearc told me they have the right to renew our ad and charge however much they want for it without getting approval. I have never signed anything with them to this effect. they also said that they got a 3rd party verification speaking with someone at my company with authorization. They faxed me over a 1 page form with my husbands name on it with no SS# or ID# just a name. well, my husband doesn't even work at my business! I think it is all B.S! I also told them I wished to cancel for the 2009 advertising since they would be automatically renewing my ad, and they said they couldn't cancel and I would have to call back in October to cancel for the 2009 issue because they wouldn't let me cancel until After October of 2008 (10 months later)
    I have refused to pay and they have sent me to a collection agency. I disputed the claim with this 1st company and I guess have droped the case. Idearc has submitted to another collection company who is ruthless. Along with the collection company, Idearc also still billing me for the remander of this years ad.
    Idearc was not willing to work with me on this matter at all. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!

• Id
      6th of Feb, 2009

I have a very similar story. I actually spoke with an Idearc rep on Dec 8th and told him to cancel our account for the '09 season. He said he would and I thought everything was taken care of. I got a bill at the beginning of February and when I called to tell them I had canceled in December, they told me they had no record of the cancellation and without a first and last name of the person I spoke with, they would not escalate my case. I only have the first name of the person I spoke to in December and feel stuck with an ad and resulting payment that I had appropriately canceled.

• Pa
      24th of May, 2009

May 25, 2009

Dear, Idearc Media LLC

This is a cancellation notice for Account #490002536612

I cancel the print directory ads, electronic ads, and

electronic services. I will file a civil claim in 10 days for all

monies owed if the account is not closed.

Patrick Home Assembly

Patrick David Rawls

2314 Reinerman Street

Houston, Texas 77007

713-392-2384

This letter is to reaffirm prior cancellation notice sent

dated 5-15-09 by certified mail to address shown on

electronic contract.

Idearc Media LLC, MC 12

P.O. Box 610609

D/FW Airport, TX. 75261

• Id
      12th of Jun, 2009

We are never pleased when one of our clients is unhappy. Please give me the opportunity to review your issue. I promise someone will get back to you within 48 hours with an update. Please provide me with the following information and email back to me at: customerservice@Idearc.com

Your Full Name and Title:

Business Name:

Business Telephone Number:

State in which your Business resides:

Your Contact Number:

Best time to call you:

E-mail address:

Brief Complaint Description:

• Ji
      3rd of Nov, 2009

RE: Idearc formerly Verizon Yellow Pages.
    After several years of extending my yellow page subscription via personal phone call from co rep and recording conversation as confirmation, this year co sends out letter saying that if they do not hear from me, subscription will automatically renew. Of course I missed this letter amongst their bankruptcy letters and while I did not want to extend, I am guessing that there will be some sort of obligation to pay. Based on other complaints I'm reading, this new co version of the old yellow pages won't be lasting long.