Icon Security Systems / Phone harrassment

Provo, UT, United States Review updated:
Icon said in contract they would send invoices and accept payment by check (they PREFER CREDIT CARDS OR ACCESS TO YOUR CHECKING ACCT)BUT when I send check on time they do not cash it for several weeks which causes their computer auto calls demanding I

respond by calling them back. Their calls come into my home twice a day or more.

I have called them back explaining sixty or more times explaining that the check was sent to them electronicly more than two weeks ago and they

just need to cash it..THEY PROMISE TO CORRECT BY NOTIFYING THEIR SUPERVISOR ...BUT THAT HAS MEANT NOTHING ..but they will not and so the auto calls come until they finally deposit the check into their bank.

This has repeated every month and is drving me nuts..this is harrasment with calls night and day over a $40.00 bill that I've already paid like clock work each month on time etc.

said they would send invoices and accept payment by check (they PREFER CREDIT CARDS OR ACCESS TO YOUR CHECKING ACCT)BUT when I send check on time they do not cast it for several weeks which causes their auto calls demanding I

I have called them back sixty or more times explaining that the check was sent to them electronicly more than two weeks ago and they

just need to cash it...but they will not and so the auto calls come until they deposit the check into their bank.

Ga

Comments

29th of Jun, 2009
I, too, have experienced the same issue since November of 2008. Their primitive method of bookkeeping leads me to believe their entire operation is conducted out of a cubicle with no connection to the actual security company (sub-contract work for billing). Anyway, their method of billing consists of 1) send a cheesy-looking, invoice that is always mailed within 2 days of expected payment, 2) threatening statement on the invoice which states the payment is due on the stated date (the only date on the invoice is the date of the billing which is ALWAYS several days after receipt of the bill in the mail, and 3) never being prompt with the processing of the payment check (normally 2-3 weeks after sending to them in the mail). The latter makes it very irritating to reconcile a check register, especially if I sit and wonder if Icon is still in business this month.

Judging from their billing procedures, my greatest fear is that the company will not deliver on services if I, or my family, encounter a life-threatening situation in which first responders are immediately needed.
  29th of Jun, 2009
Follow-up suggestion: I know this is doing THEIR work for them, but it is the way I will deal with them in the future. Since Icon is too cheap to provide a coupon book or mail invoices in a timely manner, I have made a copy of my last invoice, performed a white out in the pertinent areas, and made mulitple copies that I will fill out each month instead of waiting on them. I will mail them at least a week before they normally mail them to me.

They will have write in an invoice number for their records (like I care). I have a check number and carbon for my records. If they don't like it, they can respond to the BBB. I am interested in knowing if they have had complaints about the actual security service...
  4th of Jul, 2009
The link, below (from the BBB), will show you that Icon Security Inc is not a recognized BBB busines. It is, however, been given a rating of BBB which is the equivalent of an "F". The names of the company officers/contacts are listed on that site.

4th of Jul, 2009
For my previous posting; little words can mean big things. I used the word "of", when I should have used "from" as I described the the rating from the BBB. It should have read "... given a rating from BBB..".
Qu
  1st of Sep, 2010
Icon Security Is a wannabe legal but ethically fraudulent company that prays on the ill and the elderly and those of us stupid enough to get caught up in the mix. They do not protect, they endanger, they do not respect, they expect, they feel they are entitled to charge outrageous rates and use underhanded and frankly unethical practices to pull in as much money as possible with doing as little work for it as they can. They put forth a contract for services they do not provide, or do so in the most cursory means, then when you are fed up with the lack of service, and want out they inform you, that you are locked in an agreement that you must comply with, even though they are obviously not going to do the same.

The individuals I have dealt with at the company begrudgingly give their first names, wont give an 'agent number' or 'call reference' and yet when we complained, they were able to produce months old recordings of conversations we had with them. Though they did not produce all of the calls, just the ones where we weren't necessarily complaining directly.

People I have dealt with personally:
Tanner: the heavy sighs, exasperated, 'why do I have to deal with you' attitude, and the rude, snide 'why don't you know this' comments when asked direct questions.
Jennifer: Nervous, evasive, rude, when asked to get a supervisor because she wasn't being helpful, she put me on hold for almost a half an hour (it took her two minutes to pick up the phone initially when I called) and told me that a Courtney in customer service would call me back in a few minutes. Courtney never did call me back... though I did happen to speak with her on another occasion.
Courtney Echols: Claimed to be a 'manager' but turns out she is just another customer service tech answering the phones there. likes to 'quickly get people off the phone' ends her sentences as though she is ending the call, with a snide "okay we're done then" attitude, even though she hasn't even started to actually answer a question. Rude and audibly untrustworthy. You can hear the lies in her voice.
These are the "help" you get when you call their 'Command Center' which consists of an office front and cubicle city inside.

They did NOT notify us that our contract was ending and that we needed to provide a written cancellation prior to the end OTHERWISE the contract automatically renewed for another year. This however goes against Utah State Law (where they are based) in TItle 15 Section 10 of Utah State Law it plainly says they (Icon Security) must notify the individual (the customer) IN WRITING between 90 and 30 days prior to the end of the contract that it will auto-renew for another year unless it is cancelled. You can check out the actual wording here: http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE15/htm/15_10_020100.htm .

If this company is coming after you for money that you don't owe them, let everyone know, tell your secretary of state, yell at the Utah secretary of state and Attorney general, these practices need to stop, It's time for a Time Magazine Inc scale Class action suit against Icon Security! I am sure that with the monthly charges, overcharges, incorrect billing, and auto-renewals in place, they are raking in millions and yet can't give their customers the time of day. They need to be brought down legally, and soon.
El
  9th of Jun, 2011
I too am undergoing current phone harassment which includes yelling, hanging up, making fun of, utter disgust, belittleing, and demanding among others. And if their calls aren't bad enough they leave me nasty threatening voice mails, that yes I have saved. I too never got a notice of end of contract and when I confronted them that my contract was over they changed it to, well, now your on month to month then. So they saw I have to send in a letter of cancellation, so I did. But guess what, somehow they don't have it and now they want me to pay 3 more months of 'service' in a house that has no current utilities, so there for no services are being rendered!! They called my house 17 times today left 2 messages and the rest were more like prank calls. I tried to call and report the employees that are doing this and was informed that the manager refused to speak to me because the only people that I need to talk to are the collections department. I have currently filed a complaint with the FTC, and emailed Matt Sterzer, who is one of the board of directors. Whether or not that will do any good, I don't know. The people I have encountered:
Josh- home office: eh, not horrid but not completely helpful
Al- collections: Hothead, demanding, condecinding, belittleing, starts off on a high note and ends even higher and then proceeds to hang up on you EVERY time, also likes to call repeatedly
Simfa?- collections: harassing, loves to tell you what a poor excuse of a human you are for not answering your phone and also likes to play the hang up- call back game under a blocked number (like I'm retarted or something)
Mike- home office: a yeller, also plays the hangup-call back game and also likes to leave threatening voice mails
Matt- manager: clearly lacks integerity since he won't take a customers phone call when it is pertaining to his employees behavior, and a spineless ameba that will allow his team of people to treat people with such disregard