Ici Dulux Paint / Terrible paint!

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

I bought some non-drip dulux gloss paint a few months ago. When I opened the tin it was clearly liquid gloss. I couldn't find the receipt to return it, so used it but it all dripped and ran. Terrrible and I had to buy more paint and redo the whole job plus the sanding etc to dry and get rid of the drips and waves.

I wrote to ICI in Slough, saying they had put wrong labels on cans and shld do a product recall.

All I got back was a letter of excuses saying it was because of the hot weather! I live in Scotland and although summer good, not as hot as down south.

I wrote to them again, saying I was not happy with their reply and that I did know the difference between non-drip gloss paint and liquid gloss and had expected them to do something about it rather than make excuses. THEY DID NOT EVEN HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.

Since then, I found the receipt and B&Q took it back BUT I WOULD NEVER EVER BUY DULUX PAINT AGAIN!! The goods were not as the description and not fit for the purpose and they have contravened the Sale of Goods Act and were not prepared to do anything about it. If I buy a top brand I expect the paint to be good and to fit the description.

Comments

• Fr
      13th of Apr, 2007

I am an ex ICI employee who has been loyal to ICI and its products for many years. In May 2004, I purchased 2 tins of Ronseal 5 year Mahogany Satin woodstain. I used the first tin successfully and some of the second tin. I stored the second tin in my garage next to my other ICI products and yesterday had occasion to do some touch up. I opened the tin and stirred the contents as instructed. I walked to the area I was about to apply the wood stain to and found that I was trailing wood stain behind me. On closer examination I found that the base of the tin had 2 corroded holes - no doubt disturbed by the stirring of the contents. I disposed of the tin. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would place this at a 7.

• Ra
      18th of Jul, 2008

I HAVE USED 3 IN ONE PASTAL GREEN COLUR FOR MY HOUSE . THE COLOR HAS COME VERY BADLY AND UNEVENLY EVEN AFTER 4 COATS OVER BIRLA PURRTY FINISH. I HAVE COMLAINED THE ISSUE AND SOME PERSON FROM YOUR COMPANY HAS GIVEN A MESSAGE ON MY MOBILE THAT "YOUR COMPLAIN REGARDING DULUX 3 IN 1 DATED 28.06.08 HAS BEEN RESOLVED" FROM MOBILE NO. 9937065611 WITHOUT EVEN VISITING OUR HOUSE AND SEEING ANYTHING. THE COMPLAIN WAS GIVEN ON 04/05/08 AND IS STILL UNRESOLVED. PLS DO THE NEEDFUL.

LET US SEE WHAT HAPPENS TO THIS

• Sc
      4th of Mar, 2009

I've used ICI paints for more than 25 years...
    When used, stored, and mixed for their purpose... One onf the best.

Read those other...

old paint, cannot find the reciept, and no follow up to blast a complaint. (can not spell either)

Give me a break... grow up people...

• Pa
      21st of May, 2010

I have been a loyal user of Dulux products for over 30 years, untill recently i have had few complaints, since the introduction of the VOC range, its been nothing but trouble, the paint is thin, lacks coverage has no fill properties, it dosnt dry very quickly so you are unable to flat down the undercoat the following day, the undercoat has a gloss like appearance, totally unacceptable, when i bought this to the attention of my rep, the only response i got was " you will have to bear with us, we are all in the same boat" well ive changed boats to crown, their new generation paints are much better.

• Je
      27th of May, 2010

It is the same. I had been using ICI Paints products for the past 24 years since I bought our first home. Especially over the past 2 years, product quality has become very poor. Almost like watered down paint. Color is different to color card and even can to can for the same color. Bought some primer which stank like horses urine and some even had little beads floating suspended. Complained to ICI in Slough but they said I did not know about color and that I did not shake the primer properly. They even blamed me for contaminating the primer that stank! The person I spoke to sounded like a young person. Imagine her telling someone who has used and handled the product consistently for 24 years without any problem being told that it was my fault and the company has no responsibility! It was so shocking that I could not even respond. That terrible experience has turned me away from ICI to use a competitor brand which was so good and friendly to use that I will go back and use it over and over again. After ICI was sold to that dutch miser it is no longer a proud and dedicated English company committed to caring for its products and customers.

• Ex
      20th of Jun, 2010

completly useless paint. I used their exterior paint on my Bee Hive 2 years ago, primed correctly, under coated twice and then 2 coats of exterior gloss. Just 2 years on and approx. 20% of the paint has began to peel.

I used Holkham paint on a previous hive, now over 7 years on and the paint is as good as new. This is because Holkham paint is linseed oil based and probably the best exterior paint available. Admittedly, the Holkham paint is twice the price, but you get what you pay for.

Stay away from Dulux if you have any exterior painting to do.

• Ph
      9th of Aug, 2010

DONT BUY WEATHERSHIELD SATIN!
    You have to use the system and by all accounts of three Dulux recommended decorators (that I know) its Not Good and prone to blistering and flaking. You not only have to apply the three stage system of primer/x2 undercoats- what it doesnt tell you on the tin is that it requires two further coats of the Satin. What really stinks is the ICI complaints dept! Good Luck!

• Ro
      17th of Aug, 2010

I've just used Dulux. What a load of rubbish. I've trawled the web looking for an address for them. Apparently there isn't one for consumer complaints! I wanted to cover a neutral colour ( Egyptian cotton) with "Timeless", a cream. NO GO! It was thin, runny, and had no cover power whatsoever. 3 coats later it still showed through. The product is inferior. Time was, you paid for quality, and I've always bought the best paint. This occasion proved me wrong. I believe corners have been cut, and the trash is on sale under guise of "Quality". Disgusting in that a customer is unable to contact them by e.mail. Any one with any info., greatfully recieved...email me at daviesplug@aol.com.

• Pj
      5th of Sep, 2010

We have recently used dulux silk to cover a wall, after 3 coats is still rubish, there is definetly somthing wrong with this paint

ie-APRICOT CRUSH!

23rd of Oct, 2010

I have recently bought a tin of your gloss paint it did say it was BRILLIANT white but after two weeks it was YELLOW. I only noticed this after i had applied your silk emulsion to my walls which was also white and was gutted, since then i have redone my gloss with WICKES own brand with perfect results. VERY disappointed dulux as i have used your product for years. JAMES REID

31st of Oct, 2010

I have used dulux products for many years without having any real complaints. That is until last week when I purchased a 5 litre can of GENTLE FAWN matt emulsion. Terrible stuff - can states dry in 2 to 4 hours. Try 30 minutes and a lack of brush out capability, which leaves both roller impression and brush feather marks, and that is after following the stated instructions. A reasonable recovery has been made by thinning the product by 10%. JIM PEARCE.

• Mr
      7th of Dec, 2010

I dought a tin of you one coat white gloss paint. paint bathroom and bedroom and all my doors in hall about two months ago thay are more yellow then then when i did them . prepared the wood like it said on tin so i am very disappointed with you paint

MRS L SAUNDERS

• Wi
      12th of Feb, 2011

Hi
    I have been using Dulux mat emulsion for years with great success. I bought some Jasmine white mat recently and the result was rubbish. It is neither mat nor silk. In daylight you can see brush marks and areas of mat and areas of silk. I bought a much cheaper mat finish and it was brilliant. So I'm afaid I won't be using Dulux Mat again. I strongly advise anyone who wants a beautiful smooth mat surface NOT to use Dulux. I originally thought it must be my fault. But believe me, after about 30 years of painting walls and ceilings it is not.

• Br
      20th of May, 2011

I recently purchased a large tin of Dulux Proffessional Gloss Brilliant White Paint. On opening it there was a purple liquid floating on top, so I stirred it presuming it had settled. However there was no body to it at all it was just a tin of very watery paint. I applied it onto the previously undercoated surface and it was dripping and flicking all over the place making the job very difficult. It actually dried extremely white. However a week later it turned to a yellowy cream colour. I have always used Dulux in the past but I am so dissappointed with the result of this job, that I will be switching to Crown Paints in future in the hope that they have not gone down the same path as Dulux. I will of course be returning the tin to B&Q.

• Wi
      1st of Jun, 2011

i HAVE ALSO BEEN A REGULAR USER OF DULUX PAINTS, ESPECIALLY THEIR
    EGGSHELL PAINT. I HAVE PAINTED MY WOODEN KITCHEN CABINETS SEVERAL TIMES OVER A PERIOD OF 7 YEARS USING EGGSHELL AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN PLEASED WITH THE RESULT. NICE SOFT SHEEN HARDWEARING COVERAGE.

IMAGINE MY HORROR YESTERDAY ON PAINTING MY CABINETS WITH EGGSHELL TO WAKE UP THIS MORNING TO FIND A TOTAL 'GLOSS' FINISH !!
    I HAD NOTICED A 'GLOSS' EFFECT LAST NIGHT BUT PRESUMED IT WAS STILL BECAUSE THE PAINT WAS WET !! ON RETURNING TO B & Q TODAY TO QUERY IF THE WRONG PAINT HAD BEEN MIXED I WAS INFORMED THAT DULUX HAD CHANGED THE 'FORMULA' DUE TO THE NEW VOC POLICY...WELL THATS FINE, BUT LET YOUR CUSTOMERS KNOW, HAD I WANTED A 'GLOSS' FINISH I WOULD HAVE USED 'GLOSS' PAINT. B & Q INFORM ME THAT THE SATINWOOD FINISH IS NOW 'MATTER' THAN EGGSHELL SO BUYER BEWARE !!
    FIVE HOURS PAINTING TOTALLY WASTED AND NOW RUBBING DOWN TO REPAINT !!!

• L1
      26th of Aug, 2011

I have now tried both Satinwood and Eggshell trying to get a non gloss finish and both times it has been very shiny. Bought Dulux Trade from Brewers who reluctantly replace the Satinwood with Eggshell, now have to go back again and find another colour, but we have used Almond White and already painted the ceiling and coving in Almond White Emulsion. What a total waste of money, and having read these complaints I am not looking forward to contacting ICI!

29th of Sep, 2011

I, too have used Dulux paint for years with no problems and always recommend their Brilliant White Emulsion for coverage. Recently I've had trouble and have had to return a tin of Midnight Blue Weathershield Gloss which streaked with light shades on painting. Had to return it and it was replaced with a tin that used a different base at mixing. Today, I had the worse experience of all... bought a tin of Weathershield Wood Primer which clogged up my Purdy Brush while I was painting... dreadful experience. This V.O.C idea just doesn't seem to be working for any of us decorators.

• Kb
      10th of Oct, 2011

I have just finished painting cupboard doors using Dulux Weathershield exterior undercoat and gloss. I wanted to change the colour to Red (from white) so used a grey undercoat. The tin of red paint does not specify a suitable colour for the undercoat.
    The doors have a raised moulding fixed to the fronts and the red paint seems to pull away from the corners, both exterior and interior, as if there is something in the undercoat that is rejecting the paint. Hence there are dark gey lines around the moulding.
    B&Q seem to have given up stocking other makes of paint which means I am going to have to give up buying from B&Q in the future.

K Bolton 10/10/2011

18th of Oct, 2011

We have used Dulux paint for the past 30 years without any problems. However we recently purchased your Raspberry Diiva Matt.
    to use in the hall and stairs. However if anyone should brush against the walls, ie elbow shoulder etc. the paint comes off in a powdery form, and leaves visible scuff marks, which we have to constantly paint over.

Is there a problem with this product. We have never experienced this with any of your paint before. Could you enlighten us as to how to overcome this persistent problem.

Thanking you.

Mr. Mrs. J Young

• Kc
      2nd of Jan, 2012

hi,
    We have been using Dulux paints gloss and emulsion for over 20 yrs.
    And have found that the Dulux high gloss non drip is absolutely rubbish, the 1st attempt was very disappointing as all the paintwork we glossed(Brilliant White), turned yellow after a 2 wk period, (we thought was a bad batch), so have redone the full house again!!!, and guess what ? the same thing has happened, all the house needs doing again, COME ON DULUX SORT THIS OUT!!!, we would advise to keep away from Dulux High Gloss. Dulux quick dry gloss seems to stay white, very strange.
    Very disappointed customers.