IBM Greenock, Manpower / Worst employer EVER

1 Greenock, Scotland, Strathclyde, United Kingdom Review updated:

Not only is the IBM-callcentre based in the worst part of Scotland, you are not going to build-up a "career" as they falsely try to make you believe. When I was working there I witnessed really unfair and even illegal action taken by the manpower-HRs. For instance, they fired a collegue of me even though he had already resigned and given notice in the respective notice period. They also have had "incidents" with paying the salaries for some people. They've had to fight to get what they rightly deserve. Simply put; they do anything to cut the costs. IBM is such an Infernal Bloody Monopoly that they have outsourced human resources for Manpower in the Greenock-location. This is only to save money. Real, proper IBM-contracts are significantly better than Manpower's. Manpower is the solution for IBM, not you. They only care about the costs, not the people. That's why I strongly don't recommend anyone especially from abroad to go work there. They say the grass is greener on the other side, I say yes, it is LITERALLY very green in Greenock. But the grass is poisoned by sweatdrops and tears of the poor mislead fake "IBMers".

It is also worth mentioning that when you leave the callcentre, YOU WON'T GET A REFERENCE FROM IBM, ONLY MANPOWER. And it's only a completed template sized A4 (filling only half of it) they only change the names in. The HR's don't really have any idea how you're doing your work, neither are they interested. They never come commend you, only to complain or convince you to start doing more work. They market extra unrewarding work as "career opportunities".

This happened to my collegue once, she called in to work and told that her relative has died. The first reaction from Manpower sickline: okay how old was he? - Okay, goodbye! This is unbelievable. You would think she would have been sorry for her loss, but instead she was being rude and inconsiderate. Anytime you had to call in sick, you always had to go to an interrogation and you almost start feeling guilty because being sick. This is just wrong, no wonder how IBM, one of the worlds largest companies, has managed to make profit even during the recession.

The most noticeable thing in the callcentre is that most of the employees are young and from different parts of Europe, easy to mislead since they don't know about Scotland and can therefore be exploited. First of all when you arrive to Scotland, they'll recommend you to take Silver account from Lloyds TSB, why is this? That's because that account has overdraft, and while you get to the point you'll have to use it (Exceed your own savings, spending the banks money) you'll notice you are in debt. Debt in the other hand is basically slavery and a clever way for Manpower to make people stay longer. It may even get worse by time, I was suddenly contacted by Lloyds TSB and they asked me to come to their office. Okay, I thought maybe something was wrong so I decided to go. I went there and was surprised they wanted me to take a credit card. They were really trying to convince me take it. Well in the end I did. A mistake I must say. Without the help of my relatives in my homecountry, I would still be in Scotland. Working in a bad job with minimum wage.

Here's a summary of my monthly living costs.
I got 960 pounds (after taxes and National Insurance) in a month
-rent: 325 pounds
-Council tax: 70 pounds
-Zonecard (which allows you to travel to work): 56 pounds
-Phonebill: 23 pounds
-Gas, used for heating and kitchen appliances: about 30 pounds
-Electricity: 15 pounds

=619 pounds.

Then you have to also buy food and other daily products. You're not exactly making money, just surviving.

However, please note that these costs are valid if you're living by yourself in a onebedroom-flat. Its cheaper to share with other people and that's what many did. I used to share in the beginning, but I had very bad experiences with my roommate. This is a risk when you move to a foreign country knowing nobody there. Manpower could've introduced me with the people from my home country, who could've answered to my questions and given worthy advice. But no, they keep you isolated for the first weeks, brainwashing you to believe you can actually "make it" in the big blue and telling you safety instructions (Like if you could hurt yourself in an office-job) Truth is, it's just a callcentre, a very bad one. Different recruitment firms still manage to convince gullible youth all over the Europe to apply for the "career opportunity".

IBM's callcentre in Greenock managed to get to the papers recently because of the newly established swineflu-helplines. The employees of this swineflu-team have no medical education, they didn't even have to go to a job interview. They only had 1-hour training for their job, and after that, they were put on the lines. To help people in need, some of those people which may be in a very very bad health. This just reflects how irresponsibly they take care of things in that callcentre. The management is rotten from the root to the peak. Insider info: An employee of that team joked that swineflu is a very good thing for the business, that it creates jobs and they should put someone with swineflu to the streets - to spread it around and make sure they can keep jobs. Makes you speechless doesn't it? A person in that team resigned because the people were incredibly unprofessional he just couldn't take it.

Swineflu-helpline on the news:

So how do they manage to keep people, so to speak, "on a leash" when so many things are just plain wrong? The answer is fear. As I mentioned before, there are many young people working there and they are afraid they'll lose their job if they decided to take a stand. And living and being on a foreign country, losing your job can be a very scary thing.

My encounters with my managers:
They tried to get me to do extra work with no extra pay, so I wasn't interested. Nevertheless they just kept trying and trying until my manager told me to come to her office. I went there and I made it very clear that I'm not interested. Well my very immature manager took it personally and said "okay, well I have to go to a meeting now" and rushed away. Seconds later I saw her outside having a smoke. After that whenever we met she gave me this very fake smile on the corridors and pretended everything was fine. Soon after that they decided to create some new ridiculous and outrageous rules which you have to follow. Otherwise they'll take disciplinary action. Here are my favorite picks of their "business rules"(copy-paste from the official email):

- Dress "business-like", no jeans, no trainers. Meaning you have to wear straight pants and a blouse (for men).
Like if it would matter how you dress like. The customers can't see you since it's a callcentre. The thing is that you'll have to buy these clothes naturally yourself, and its just another useless expenditure among so many others that even buying clothes may be expensive.

-Internet use is allowed only if required for business purposes or as a tool to provide assistance services for our Customers/Center.
Some people don't get that many calls or emails that they would keep busy all day. It is just ridiculous not allowing them to kill some time freely on the internet if there simply isn't any work! They expect you to stare your screen with glazed eyes just like a mindless zombie waiting for a call/email.

-No food /eating at the desk
Sounds sensitive? Well I don't think so, when we are chained on our desks and not allowed to leave it but only for a short while. There's usually an 2 hour period where you have to stay at your desk and this is when you are not allowed to have any snacks at your desk. Take to consideration; you've had to rush to work in the morning and maybe haven't had time to have breakfast. You arrive to work, and then you'll have to starve for two hours until you can go for a break and eat fast. You have to be fast because you have to be on schedule, otherwise your teamleader may complain.

On our next meeting I complained about these rules and the response to the internet-question was: well if you have nothing to do, you should come to us and we can give you some extra work (with of course, no extra pay). Then she just had to mention the job they tried to get me do in front of everybody. This was just very immature behavior from my manager once again. The managers always had issues getting people to fill in positions, so they try to make the people there to take extra work-load. They can be very convincing and they usually manage to make young people do stuff they wouldn't have to do.

I know several people who have been working in the callcentre for several years already. Sadly, they are still on the same position as the others and the new people. I must say they have better pay, but not significantly considering the time they've wasted there.

My last words: if you are young and free with no plans whatsoever, then yes you could try it out. But I feel obliged to inform you what you are going to encounter. I must say my time in Scotland was really great, and I met many lovely people. It was only the job that wasn't fulfilling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part of my resignation letter:

"If agents are happy with their work, they'll do their work well. It would only benefit everyone, I've noticed this isn't the case over here. In my opinion there should be major changes in leadership; treat people as people and they might actually stay for the full time they have in their contract. It's no wonder why people keep leaving here so soon, and it is very bad not only for Manpower but IBM, because all the resigned people share their story about working for these major corporations. Not good PR, I think.

I also find working here quite unrewarding. We are being offered "career opportunities" which basicly are just extra work with no extra pay. When saying the "career opportunity" will also benefit you in the future, it's just lies. Who would get far with for instance ITS/SC - crosstraining? This is just so incredibly misleading and wrong in my opinion. I don't think we are being treated in a humane way, we are just trying to be exploited all the time.

Talking about money. Not only is the pay bad, but we are being encouraged to innovate at work, to get ideas to make things even cheaper for IBM. I feel this is just so immoral and a major sign of exploitation. It seems like they really try to squeeze every single beneficial drop out of us. We are cheap, and we are encouraged to make things even more cheap for our employer. Not inspiring, I think.

I still remember when we had the employee-satisfaction survey. Many people complained about the current conditions and we were promised things would change for the better. Nothing ever happened. We were just told some gibberish just to avoid the bullet and not taking any actions.

Above all I cannot see any more opportunities to develop myself, which I would be able to do when I start my studies back home this autumn. Neither manpower nor IBM has lived up to my expectations of them.

The amount of reasons to leave exceed the amount of reasons to stay."

Comments

• Bi
      20th of Aug, 2009

Sorry for typos! Wasn't able to modify afterwards
    ...
    ...
    --> One time, my collegue called in to work and told that her relative has died. The first reaction fro...*
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's a summary of my monthly living costs.
    I got 960 pounds (after taxes and National Insurance) in a month

---------------------------------
    its actually 519 pounds, nevertheless the monthly pay was very low

• Dr
      11th of Sep, 2009

This whole country is run by selfish, money-grubbing, brown-envelope-stuffing, swearing, rude, horrible people. Private businesses are no exception. Ever since Thatcher got her way in the 1980s, employment rights have become a thing of the past in the UK, just like the empire. Long gone are the days when workers went on strike and risked life and limb for something as basic as getting paid and being treated like a human being. The strikers were defeated once and for all when the mines, ports and factories were shut down all around Glasgow. What happens at Manpower (ostensibly IBM) is the tip of the iceberg.

I have worked in 9 previous jobs, and I have been shouted at, lied to, under-paid, sacked without any warning, back-stabbed in all kinds of ways, threatened and overworked. It is the way of things in Britain today. There is only one way to fight back - tell the HR fascist to go **** himself and storm out in protest. Go on the dole, get another job...and if it sucks, quit again and find another one. If the recession bites, at least you can sign on and live life with some dignity.

18th of Sep, 2009

These comments by 'bitterman' areso highly inaccurate that they are laughable! It's unfortunate that you feel you had a bad experience, however considering there are over 500 employees on site of which a large amount have been in employment for several years, your view is incredibly biased and not representative of the vast majority of employees. I have been employed for two years and quite frankly the worst thing about this job is the rare colleague such as yourself who blames everyone else for their misfortunes - the eternal victim!

Firstly, if any illegal action was taken by HR then I would assume that you would have taken them to court, or at the very least launched an official complaint, but you haven't made any mention of that?

Also, considering you were employed by Manpower, and not IBM, why would you expect to receive an employment reference from someone who was not your employer?

I find it hard to believe that upon suffering a bereavement your colleague was treated so callously, I was given a weeks compassionate leave and treated very kindly when one of my relatives died. Perhaps you should focus on your own experiences rather than listening to gossip and hearsay?

It is quite normal for most employers to ask you what is wrong when you phone in sick. I assume that you weren't one of those employees who phoned in sick twice a month, usually on Mondays/Fridays and then acted all indignant that they were asked to do a return to work interview?!

As for Manpower recommending that you take a specific bank account and take an overdraft to remain in debt and thus remain a Manpower employee, that is ludicrous and frankly paranoid. I suppose you feel that is was your HR managers fault, or maybe even IBM's responsibility that you willingly got into debt? Perhaps you should consider that it is YOUR responsibility to manage your finances - and guess what? If you spend all your money in the pub then it will make it more difficult to pay the bills! I think its hilarious that you claim Manpower deliberately segregated you from fellow employees in order to 'brainwash' you - this is absolutely untrue - are you suggesting that you were kept in a room on your own away from fellow employees?

Regarding the dress code - have you ever had a job before? It is normal for some workplaces to apply rules for business dress, whether they are customer facing or not. IBM is hardly alone in this - why is it such an issue to you to look professional?

Frankly I can't be bothered responding to every comment you have made. If you want to post comments on a forum like this then fair enough - just be mature and smart enough to stick to the truth instead of rambling about your paranoid delusions.

• Or
      18th of Sep, 2009

Well my friend, you are indeed a BitterMan and a very naive one if you expect people/business to give you money with that kind of attitude.
    I have worked in that Centre for a number of years now and I have made a career out of it.
    I can't comment on the isolated instances that you mention, but I'll just take a few of the stuff above...
    So, when I came over here I was given a contract... same as you have... does it say IBM on it? NO! Does it say how much you will get paid for a tot number of hours? YES! Does it say... you are paid by number of calls you receive so you get more if you take more calls? NO!!! Whose decision was it to move abroad and on those conditions? YOURS!!!
    Did you receive, as I did, a brochure with average prices of life in Scotland? You must have! Did you read it?! I DON'T THINK SO!!!
    You must have received the relocation, the loan etc and you say "They've had to fight to get what they rightly deserve"... so if those accidents happen and I don't believe they do since none of my friends or acquaintances have had them, they deserve the right to do so as there are people, and I hope you are not one of them, who "desappear" and ruin it for all of us still here!
    These are the same professional people whom you would expect Manpower or IBM to give a career???? I wouldn't !!!
    Some times there are no calls? So you think it's perfectly reasonable being paid to browse the Internet?! I know many people who would gladly take calls than being home unemployed. Instead of using the resources you had available and maybe get involved in projects for your own benefit you preferred looking at the ceiling! Well done! It must have been useful and rewarding for your future career.
    The truth is that you made a decision based on seeing the IBM name of the advertisement and now that your hopes have been disappointed you blame IBM and Manpower instead of blaming yourself, if a blame was to be given.
    Grow up!!!

PS... and if you were "suggested" to open a bank account with that bank, it's only because in this way you can have a bank account at all and being paid!!! If you were paying attention to your personal circumstances instead of partying all the time you would have changed bank if that was not suitable!

• Ca
      18th of Sep, 2009

I disagree with the bitterman i have worked in IBM employed by Manpower for almost 5 years now. I am glad i have a job. It is very difficult to find a job anywhere at the moment and my friends are prove of this. When i first started in the centre i was a normal agent and i cross-trained or as we called i was "xskilled" into another team and ever since i have worked my way up. I was developed and my manager and HR must have seen some potential from me, now I am a team leader. I really enjoy my job and i am very glad i had the opportunity to come and work in Scotland.

I am confused by alot of the comments you have made Bitterman, i work for Manpower and i do a task for IBM, i am a Manpower employee, why would anyone get a reference from IBM :)) - this comment made me laugh. Maybe it is because i am a teamleader but why would we get paid to go on the internet? It is an organisation not an internet cafe! But again thanks...your STUPID comments make me laugh, it sounds like you want a job but dont want to do the work...i would hate to have people like you in my team - so its good that you have left.

Anyway, i wont write anymore its a pity i had to justify your "rant" with a comment however i think the issues you talk about are unfair and wrong. You seem well aware of the rules so why dont you just abide by them, do your job and stop giving TL's like myself so much hassle.

p.s yes it is good if you are young to come for the experience because like me (i think i can still say i am relatively young) then it brilliant but for any age group, i get on with every one of the agents in my team and that ranges from 19- 50+... everyone reading this dont listen to bitterman - he is clearly nothing but a bad agent, who was lazy and has ruined the experience for himself.

18th of Sep, 2009

Dr Sutherland - not a real doctor I presume?

Interesting that you say the country is run by 'swearing, rude, horrible people' when later in your post you use symbols to imply swearing!

I'm sure you have had some bad experiences in the workplace, but you don't say you've worked for Manpower @ IBM so why associate yourself with something you don't have first hand experience of? Employees have rights... learn them and exercise them! Telling your HR manager to %^&* off is not exactly a mature response...

Dignity on the dole? Yes if you've been unfortunate enough to be made redundant, however advocating walking out of jobs and signing on is hardly commendable, not least because you won't get any benefit money if you leave a job! doh!

"A working class hero is something to be..." no doubt you think John Lennon was referring to you, but you sound more like a dole scrounging malcontent who has problems with social interaction and can't take responsibility for himself. Get a life! or a job...

• Dr

Hi There,

I have been working @ Manpower @ IBM for a little more than 4 years and still counting. Like many a employer, there are ups and downs. Nothing is perfect. And no one claims Manpower is.

A few things. When they started, they never forced a bank on me or even made any suggestions. When I made my choice, they just provided the letter stating I was employed with Manpower. They even provided me with a cheque when that bank was giving me trouble and they gave me the oppertunety to switch to any bank.

Before I moved to my current team, my gran died and HR gave me the full week compasioned leave so I could attend even though I was just entitled to 3 days.

The rules you mentioned have not changed since I arrived 4 years ago. So HR making up rules does not happen. They where mentioned when you signd the contract. I still have the original stating these very rules.

When I go to HR I always get an straight answer. On occasion I send them a little joke and they seem to appriciate it.

I don't know what you did, but it seemd you where exopecting miracles, but rome was not biuld in a day. Any employer wants to know who you are and what you are able to before the correct oppertunity arrises. It is allabout playing your cards right.

Just My 2 cents

• Du

Bitterman is completely right,

I and many many others that have been / are still working there completely agree.
    The only people disagreeing with this complaint are the ones that enjoy working underpaid in a workspace that feels like a kindergarten. - cause thats how they treat you -.

The problem with IBM/Manpower is 'pay peanuts, get monkeys'. The monkeys - like goodemployee above - just don't take the initiative to look for better jobs, they've always been doing jobs like snow shuffling or post packaging.
    However IBM/Manpower has been able to sell lies to non-monkeys, like me and bitterman.
    They offer you a career with many opportunities in a beautifull city where you can easily live off the money you get.. truth is the opposite.

As someone looking for career opportunities you would not like to end up in a under-paid kindergarten.

Everyone who works there and has not yet decided to work 20 miles further for double the money, better benefits, nicer managers and actual career opportunities. Is just a slave of IBM, without any initiative to do something with their lives.

• Im
      3rd of Oct, 2009

I'm fairly sure I know who wrote this, so I'm not surprised. But seriously, its not that bad!
    First of all, why on earth would IBM give you a reference when you're employed by Mp? And if you got a bad reference, that's on you! I left this summer to continiue my studies (after having completed my contract of 18months) and I got such a nice reference I almost wanted to hug my HR. I say almost bc I still haven't quit forgotten mp for the way they acted when my bf had a terrible accident and died later on - I had to go to my manager to get them to understand that not going to that funeral wasn't an option. She fixed everything and yelled at HR tho - our manager rocks!
    As for the salary - no, it's not high. But I have a huge student loan and still made it fine..and believe me, I went to the pub WAY too often!

I do, however, agree with you on the career opportunities part. There are few and small propmotions, and they selldom lead to a pay increase. And I understand that not everyone can be promoted all the time, but at one point I know for a fact (and everyone commented on it as well) that it did at least twice (or maybe three times) the amount of work as the ppl who were paid the same as me. And I was the one the TL and managers tured to when there was trouble - it really pissed me off that I didn't get a raise then (especially after mp hinted that I might..very convinient financial crises...they shouldn't leave reports saying "woohoo, we're doing great!" lying around when trying to convince us IBM is on their way to bankruptcy..)

But anyway, that set aside; I would never be without this experience! I've learned a lot, both about technical stuff, practical processes and myself. And I've met a bunch of brilliant ppl who I miss every day now as I don't see them. Oh, and I got to experience Scotland. Living in another country and culture. Do you not understand how huge a value that is?

• Ta
      3rd of Oct, 2009

Listen you knob-ends.. Bittermans rant here might be very subjective and emotional, and I for one do not blame him. IBM Greenock is an inhumane place for anyone who knows right and wrong and are not too far up their Managers, TLs or HRs ### to realize that.

The people here, who are so busy agreeing with the rules that has always been there (and was re-inforced this summer), who are easily satisfied by being x-skilled to work their way up in the system, or who seems to think that answering to SMEs, TLs and Managers without any education or background in managing people, is fine, you are truly lucky to be so naive and think IBM/Manpower has a future in mind for you, however I think you will be greatly disappointed. I have met you in that building, and I have met who you are going to be. There are people in that building who have been there for 8 years or more loyal and naive with all this experience. They were sure to be promoted, but when the financial crisis hit, they were the first ones to hit the road, as their salary was slightly higher that new starts who was doing the exact same job. So I wish you luck.

First of all the x-skilling, in theory sounds like a perfectly reasonable opportunity to be acquainted with other parts of the business. However when that opportunity turns in to doing 2-3 jobs at the same time, on the same salary, is no longer an opportunity, but abuse of your loyal monkey brains. I could go into detail on how you would be handling x amount of calls for one team, while dealing with emails for another team, just because the communication between team leaders was non-existent and for that reason time was never given to actually do your job, but I wont.And because there were never enough people in these respectable teams (this is a documented fact, ask your TL for the bodycount) you would be doing the workload for two and suffer the consequences of no one ever being able to cover for you.

It has been stated above that the "good guys" in IBM suffer from brat-first time jobbers like bitterman who leaves with out notice etc.. What is your point exactly? Isn't that exactly what the rules are for, so only the ones who is not able to fulfill their contract feels the consequences?It should be like that, so that "your innocent till proven otherwise", but its not, the atmosphere in that building thick of exactly this expectation that you might bail on them (this, I know, is subjective as well).

Then there is the salary of course, which is very hard to discuss as it is very different from country to country, and some are just really dependent on having a job. You know the salary before you start there, but that does not mean that I agree, that IBM/Manpower, both huge international companies doing OK (would be fair to say) should pay professionals, what you in some countries get as minimum wage below 18 emptying bins in a supermarket. But again, its legal here, but immoral.

And again... just because its so easy... you guys that like your job in that blue building so much, some of you spending your time joking with your HR managers and in other ways kissing their ### to try and impress whoever you think has your Golden Ticket to a promotion... if it hasn't happened yet, it wont happen. I got a long great with both my HR and TL, or at least I never showed them how I despised them, and truthfully I felt like a plum in an egg. I was even asked to take the step up for a promotion, getting the extra responsibility over other people who didn't like their job. But I rejected the otherwise kind offer and resigned to move on. So when you say that Bittermans article is laughable.. I beg to differ, the joke is on you.

Well there is no use to keep going, because the conclusion is gonna be the same. I now have a job that I am really happy with, the salary is close to the same, but I work with genuine educated people who treats me like the professional I am and I have no HR on my ### let alone no monitoring of what I do.

Big ups to all the great experiences Scotland and my friends has given me outside of work.

4th of Oct, 2009

@ Imissscotland "Ppl like you, bitterman, are sad...in the world today, you have so many freaking GREAT opportunities, and all you see is bitterness and blame. I feel for you..."

hahaa...yea right! Just for your information im currently studying in the largest universities in Finland, and actually BUILDING a future for myself. You can only make a career in ibm by either kissing managers ### or by screwing them. That GREAT opportunity you're talking about is just a grand ###ing stupid illusion. Be my guest and believe in it. Im not bragging but im used to so much more better jobs and I'm so glad I left the ugly IBM-building filled with asslickers and ### managers (of course there are nice people too, dont be a fool and take me literally). Especially now when I'm studying I feel like I can actually become something...If i would've stayed in IBM and wasted my whole life there licking managers ### to build up a ### "career" I would eventually take a look at myself on the mirror and see a complete loser. So much for the GREAT OPPORTUNITIES. If you're young and seriously believe in these opportunities, you are truly sad and someone needs to wake you up - seriously. In the other hand if you're significantly older, the job *may* be enough to make a living and feed your kids. Still, it's not a great job - pure crap with no future whatsoever. Wipe out the false glamorous IBM-illusion and see the fugly filthy truth.

And me being naive... okay you may think so, I really don't care. I just expressed my opinion of that hellhole called IBM callcenter. If you feel like defending CALLCENTERS as workplaces...that really makes you think who's being naive/stupid. No matter what "glamorous" IBM/HP-callcenter it is - its still just a callcenter and you aren't an IT-guru...Only a guy receiving calls and emails. And feel free to believe you can make a career there, in my opinion its education that matters..You may waste your time in licking ### and waiting for that "great opportunity" while others study, graduate and jump straight to a lot better jobs.

ps. SME and Teamleader-positions aren't any kind of "achievements", they would even take a monkey to do that job if they really need someone. And if you are in a higher position, dont be proud about it. I could see how crappy even their job was. But it must feel good to be above all the rest. I dont care whatever gives you the kicks of feeling great about yourself. (HAH)

4th of Oct, 2009

And dont get me wrong, I'm grateful for all the non-work related things I got to experience. BUT this is absolutely not an valid way of defending the callcenter as a workplace. I could've applied for some jobs in other countries, which COULD'VE been better -> then add all the non-work related experiences, making the whole experience even better. I'm not saying I regret my trip to Scotland, I'm just saying the whole experience both workwise and leisurewise could've even been better in this world full of "GREAT OPPORTUNITIES".

What I'm grateful for Manpower (read Slavepower) is that I'm taking significantly more careful approach to these overhyped international jobs in the future.

AMEN. Bitterman has spoken!

• Ib
      17th of Oct, 2009

The comments by Bitterman were obviously written at a time when he/she was highly emotional. However, the thrust of the comments are pretty accurate, and increasingly common throughout IBM - ManPower make decisions based on what IBM demands of it, not what it deems necessary. So it is IBM that is driving this employer/employee approach.

6th of Nov, 2009

What do you expect from an employer who was more than happy to help the Nazis killing millions of slave labourers during the war ? Spango Valley was built by the gold extracted from their mouths, remember.
    Sorry, but if you take up employment there; you can only blame yourself. Don't come and tell us that you were not warned.

• Lu
      24th of Nov, 2009

I would really like to thank Gourockwiseman, the only problem I received his warning almost a decade later. I was employed by Manpower and after over a year of hard work I was fired. I wrote a complain to the Employment Tribunal, looking back I realise may be I exagerated with a 46 pages report, but what IBM is simply doing there is taking advantage of people desperate for a job...ABUSE OF POWER + BREACH OF PRIVACY= NAZI/FASCISM/COMMUNISM. The journalist Indro Montanelli (yes I am Italian) expalined how fascism got into power in Italy: give power and the right to abuse of that power to your subordinate...build a piramid and the game its over. You can even convince people that etnic clensing is a good thing to do for the future of humanity ect...ect...
    For the time being I prefer to remain anonymous...sincerely, Luther Sticker.

• Vi
      4th of Dec, 2009

IBM bpo, a name which has made life like hell,
    I spent 3 years in this,
    I was doing all that which was required in-order to get appraisal,
    All i was told its due to recession, nothing was given to me..
    no appraisal, no promotion, 10hrs shift ( which has 9hrs login time)...0% employee SAT..
    Almost each and every employee has left IBM...
    No changes..nothing at all..

whomsoever reads this please don't ever suggest someone to join IBM BPO...
    I used to get mails from CEO, net profile of IBM is this and that & what about us?????

I came to delhi to work and earn some bucks..but it was really difficult in IBM atleast..

IBM has ruined my 2 years..
    i'm not happy with it

• Ri
      18th of Dec, 2009

Ive worked there aswel and i agree with bitterman. the work is underpayed. I worked for DnB powered by manpower in the bluebuilding and even with my slightly better salery i could barely survive. I am glad I've left that rathole. The people and memories outside of the bluebuilding are great though.

• Po
      9th of Jan, 2010

im from scotland live near to IBM call centre..i can well imagine its a crap place to work..just a high-tech work house!..maybe alot of you dont know the history of IBM in scotland..it shows you that the Americans aint really our friends!..a simple version of the story is during the cold war the US wanted nuclear bases in the UK..nobody wants that kind of thing on their doorstep so IBM was a sweetner..In return for the risk of a huge nuclear base in the Holy Loch outside Dunoon this american multinational IBM would set up a manufacturing base in the west of scotland...the deal with IBM was "no unions and in return we will give you good pay and secure employment for life"..in fairness thats exactly what they did...alot of people in the Inverclyde area worked and enjoyed pay and conditions second to none...and retired with excellent pension schemes...even the most simple production line worker in IBM was on good pay and conditions...the US navy base at the holy loch is long gone now...and alot of changes to employment laws and conditions occured under Thatchers government!..manpower and all these employment agencies began their rise in that era..instead of IBM employing people directly and having to give their employees certain rights and conditions they "outsource" to parasites like manpower..manpower is paid a fortune by IBM to supply labour..i dont know exact figures but it works something like this manpower is being paid £15 per hour by IBM to employ you...but you would be lucky to see £7.50 of that..very lucky!..really you are just a money cow for manpower!..manpower is simply an employment AGENCY...and AGENCY workers are on lower pay and conditions..and agency workers can be hired and fired as they please!..certainly manpower would not have explained this situation to you at interview!..employment agencies exploit their workers and its all perfectly legal!

18th of Feb, 2010

I agree thet Manpower is a worthless endeavour. IBM here in Boulder, Colorado (USA) has Manpower
    working with them and is staffed with several "snooty" blonde's who are dumb as rocks. I used to work for
    DISH Network as a call center specialist. I applied at Manpower after quitting working with the stupid kids that
    work for DISH as coaches and managers. The Manpower "test applications" kept failing, and those snooty
    blonde's didn't know anything about the tests or thier own jobs. Manpower is waste of time and can
    go to hell !

• R
      3rd of Apr, 2010

I dont even know how the HR people became HR. They must have done something with their boss(es) cuz they dont even know what they are doing.

And lloyds is a good bank but about the Silver account true. But that's your own misstake u did sign for it and prob. didn't read the paper correctly.
    You could have taken the Classic account.