Iadt - Seattle / Unsatisfactory educational experience

1 Seattle, WA, United States Review updated:

I enrolled at iadt-Seattle in 05' and recientily graduated in june of last year. My experience at iadt started out on a sour note with the addmission rep who signed me up learning of my sexual life style oreintation, months later i would notice various addmissions staff members looking at me funny and laughing one to another or to their selves which led me to believe that private details of my sexual oreintation had been discussed throughout the staff. Experiencing that caused me all kinds of internal discomfort and indecision about even attending that school. However i indured it and looked the other way. In addition to the admissions staffs unprofessionalizim there were three professors that i had unplesent situations with and one in particular was an instructor who "in my face" made a disrespectful remark concerning my appearence that caught me off guard and i tried to contain my self so that i would not be expelled or even worse sent to jail, so what was said must have been inapropriate comming from a professional. This instructor was so unprofessional that he would discuss other students progress either good or bad mostily bad in the company of other students to listen in on. The too other instructors were just as bad but not to that extreme. It made my blood boil that i am spending all of this money, not scolarships, but private loans to tolorate such" bs". Not to mention that every time i truned around i had to keep getting more private loans just to try stay afloat until graduation. I mean that it seemed that the school was milking me and my co-signer for all they could drum up, and to go through the" bs" with the instructors made it all a nightmare. I originally signed up for the bachlor degree program but decided to change it to the associates because i just wanted to get it over with and get the" f " out of their. I've had only one interview after graduating and the interviewer never even heard of iadt i just wish that i would have followed my first choice of schools and Seattle Art Institute mabe i would of had a better experience and better results in my job searches and interviews, now i am just stuck with an outragous loans and bad memories. What a "f--ing" rip-off!

Comments

• Du
      29th of Jul, 2009

I'm hearing a lot of complanits coming from '05, I'm currently enrolled as of '09 and hopefully their staff is better qualified for their job

• Sy
      10th of Nov, 2009

what school are you complaining about?

• Sy
      10th of Nov, 2009

i'm asking because I want to know if the art institute is a good school, and i dont know what iadt is..

• Ha
      26th of Feb, 2010

I found the schools staff extremely friendly and had no issues with them though I do agree with the fact that it felt like they were trying to milk me for all the money they could get. My biggest complaint was that they changed what defined my course into something I did not want to take half ways through my bachelors which ended with me leaving early and not getting my degree there and none of their credits transferred.

• De
      13th of Apr, 2010

This school is getting worse and worse! Right now there are no chairs for most of the departments, and this little lady, Kara Henry, the education director comes into my class nearly every week, and pulls my teacher out of class for 20 mins or so, right when they are in the middle of a lecture. Then she stands outside the classes to make sure the teacher "gives us our break on time" and "doesn't let us leave early". My god, we are not children, we are adults paying alot of money to be here, let me leave class if I want to. The teachers are the only good thing about this school, but the school, and the way they run it is terrible.

3rd of Sep, 2010

Im about to enroll and start oct 11 2010. Im really excited, everyone i met so far are super nice, and the school is clean and simple with a lot of students work everywhere. Im excited to go, and every school has its ups and downs, and all art schools are expensive, Im going into graphic design. Many universities have terrible professors that just fail you, because they demand more then possible. I don't really care about peoples reviews, I think for every person its different.

• Ns
      28th of Nov, 2010

To JAYneA123,
    good luck to you. I thought the same thing when I first registered. I was given the glitter and glam show for about a month. All you have to do to get good grades is go to class but even then, if you give a really good sob story about why your assignments aren't done, you'll be fine. You may or may not learn something but either way they are happy to take your money. I left IADT because I was very frustrated with the Math instructor, so frustrated I started looking at other schools like UW and BCC. I then learned that none of my credits would transfer to any other school except the other money hungry diploma mill, University of Phoenix. I worked very hard for my 4.0, harder than most of the slackers in my classes and now that was all for nothing. Also, a 4 year degree will cost you 100% of your LIFETIME student loan allotment. You will never ever be able to get another student loan once you graduate. The school is not recognized by any industry employer so if you want to work in the your chosen field, they will laugh at your degree. You might as well take the $78 grand your going to pay for IADT and flush it down the toilet. Even the Art Institute credits will transfer to UH. After all this, if you decide to stay, ask the "recruiter" questions. Exactly how much are you going to pay when it's all said and done (including interest), where can you take your credits and who from that school is working in their field. I wish I would have done the research before enrolling, I would have saved myself a year of wasted time, heartache and $28k!!!

• Ia
      5th of Jan, 2011

I am currently a teacher at IADT Seattle. I am not a disgruntled ex employee, I am a current faculty member at the school in question. Do youself a favor, do not go to this school. The recruiters lie to the students, and the school is all about earning a dollar. ANYONE that applies is accepted, regardless of how stupid they are. There are alot of great teachers there, but they are not allowed to teach what needs to be taught. There are soooo many idiotic and lazy students that the teachers are forced to coddle a bunch of idiots that have no business being there. This is extremely unfortunate because students that do have talent and are smart don't get the attention they deserve. Don't get me wrong, I am also currently teaching at the art institute and it is not much better. Do yourself a favor, go to a real college, even if it is a community college. You will have less debt, and your credits will transfer ANYWHERE! IADT credits do not transfer to real colleges, I even had students who could not transfer credits between iadt campuses. Even if you graduate, employers (oh, and by the way, most of the faculty) think this school is a joke, and you will most likely not get a job. The comment above about not having any department chairs, and the little lady that stands outside the room, making sure you don't leave early, is not an exaggeration. If you work full time, the school will force you to take 3 classes a term, which means you will work a full week, and then go to school from 6 pm until 10 or 11 pm, and they will not let you go home early. IADT Seattle is more expensive than either the University of Washington, or Washington State University. It is your choice, be stupid, believe the lies, and leave with a $60, 000debt you will never be able to repay while you are working at IKEA, selling clothes at the GAP, or working as a photographer at SEARS, or go to a real college and do yourself some real good.

• Ty
      17th of Apr, 2012

I was just enrolled school, and ive been working my ### off to be able to get to seattle... i really hope that things have changed for this year. my highschool gpa was always poor because i was so bored in school, the academics were piss poor, most of the teachers didnt care.. (im from st louis) so iadt seemed like the only place other than community college that i could go to. i really want to get the hell out of this ### hole of a city...

• He
      24th of Oct, 2013

Hey guys,

I am a graduate from IADT. I went for Graphic Design and have been graduated for a little over six months. I decided to share my thoughts after reading some of your comments and concerns.
    While I experienced a lot of instructors who acted a little less than professional, I still learned from every single one of them. Some of them pushed me more than others, but none of them 100% let me down. I also liked the small classes and one on one time with my instructors. You could say that I even befriended most of my teachers, interacting in casual conversation with them and creating a friendly learning environment. If you plan on going to this school, just know that all the instructors aren't bad. I had a phenomenal teacher for most of my design classes (Brandon Walker) and learned SO much under his wing. Take his classes if you get the chance, he will be a hard SOB but you will get the education you're paying for!

I also notice a lot of you (even an IADT teacher) saying that you won't get a good job after this from going to this school. Well nope, you won't, if the only thing you can present to your interviewer is the name of the school you went to. If that's all you can throw at someone to get a job after graduating, you truly did waste your education. The single most important thing an employer wants to see is your portfolio. They will obviously be curious about your school, but that shouldn't be the deal breaker in getting a job. If you take your education and classes serious and learn everything you need to and put in the work, you WILL leave this school with an amazing portfolio. That portfolio is what will get you a job, not the name of your school. If you can't get any interviews after graduating from this school, it's not the school's fault. If you are presenting yourself in a professional manner to possible employers they will be interested in you regardless of what school you attended. In my experience, almost all of the students at this school messed around for the whole time and didn't start their portfolio until their last term. DON'T do that! You will have only 10 weeks to build your entire portfolio and it will be miserable. Not only that, your portfolio will suck and no one will want to give you an interview.

In conclusion, this school has its ups and downs but it isn't all bad. I went here, got a great education, and I am now working as a graphic designer with the whole world ahead of me. I put the work in and took it serious and didn't waste anyone's time and ended up benefiting. I realize everyone will have their own opinions, but I just wanted to share my experiences! Thanks guys.