IADT (International Academy of Design and Technology) / Rip off!

I saw an ad for iadt detroit. I had been looking to go back to school and thought fashion design may be a fun field and went to check the school out. I went there and was met by my admissions rep. She asked me about my college history. I told her i had my associates degree in liberal arts. She says, "oh great. So you have an art degree". I know i should have walked away at that comment. She asked me a few more questions, walked away for a few minutes, had me pay her $50 and shook my hand congratulating me on getting accepted at the school.

A few days later i had a meeting with financial aid. I met this guy, he set me up on a computer and ahd me fill forms out. I had asked a few questions and he was really weird about answering anything. I wonder now if it was protect his own butt. So i get approved for financial aid and I'm told everything will be covered. I was told to come back in a few days and I'll get registered for classes.

When i went back to "pick" my classes i was pretty much told what classes i was going to take. My schedule was class four nights a week for six hours a night or 16 credits a semester. It really was way too much. I was so worn out by my second week of school. There was also a two absent policy. If you missed more then two classes your instructors were calling you wondering where you were.

After a really rough semester i was burnt out. I did well and got a 3.7 gpa. I was sent a letter telling me i was on the dean's list (what dean?) - and decided i was going to take two classes nest semester. When i went to register for the next semester and told them i wanted to take two classes, i was almost harassed. I was informed we could only go part-time one time for the whole time at the school. Part-time was still four nights a week and four hours a night. I also decided to switch my major from fashion design to interior design. I was given flack for that as well. With that semester i got a 3.8 and the dean's list thing.

Next semester comes and i have a full load - 16 credits, four nights a week, six hours a night. It gets to be too much to fast and i decide i want to drop one class. I was told i am not allowed to drop a class unless i have a really good reason. My husband was sick and in and out of the hospital. I set up a meeting with the registrar at the school, since my admissions rep had been let go, and talk to her about my issues. Her way of helping me was to pull out my transcripts from the community college i went to and starts knocking out classes i don't have to take because they "transferred" to the school. I thank her and tell her i still want to drop my class. She refuses and tells me to sweat it out. I found out later their policy is if you drop after the second week you can't get money back, i was talking to her the second week of school. I got sick of being told i couldn't drop a class and decided to stop going. When i got my paperwork about my dropping classes the dates were all wrong, to cover their butts so i wouldn't get any money - at this point it wasn't about the money -
A few months later i was checking my grades. I was given an f in all my classes. I asked why and was told i didn't follow the rules they had about dropping classes. I explained my whole story and got nowhere. I went to talk to the register, and had to wait for her to "come back from lunch" when she did come back, she was told she had someone waiting to talk to her, her response was "that's too bad, i don't feel like talking to her" and walked away

I fought this school up and down about my grades. I went from a 3.8 to a 1.7. When i decided to go back to school last winter i was banking on my high gpa from iadt to guarantee me a scholarship. I was told by my school iadt wasn't even recognized as a school in michigan. I also found out their financial aid is owned and run by the same people who own the school. I attended that school for two full semesters and two weeks and my student loans are $23,000. The education I'm getting at my new school isn't going to cost anywhere near that

Iadt is not a school. It is a money pit. The amount of students that get jobs after "graduating" is very low. If someone graduates from iadt and gets a job in retail because they can't do anything else, it's considered "in their field". Their job placement rate is about 20%. The school is crap and their "instructors" are crap. It is a scam. If you are thinking about going there or sending your child there, rethink your decision.

More IADT (International Academy of Design and Technology) Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ke
      6th of Aug, 2007

I have only been at IADT chicago for one semester and i am already confused about my money situation. I have decided to withdraw before i get any farther in debt. I know that nothing i have taken will be transferable so i have to start all over. Anyway i feel what you are saying and somebody needs to do something about it.

9th of Aug, 2007

I will definitely do something with IADT. I got suspended unfairly from IADT Chicago and am in the process of making them regret their stupid Actions.

• Em
      13th of Aug, 2007

I also got out of there before i was a lot more in debt. And i also went through the school for a loan lender. And all they told me was that my loans wouldn't have such a high interest rate with a co-signer. Well i got that so i thought that my interest rate was only going to be 6.8 like they said. Well 3 weeks into school i got a letter from the lender (sallie mae) and i found out that my loan was 14.8%. So on an 8,ooo loan i was paying 18,000 in interest - not cool! And i had the same experience. As soon as i walked in i gave them 50 $ and i was a student. Didn't even look at prior grades in school or anything. Hmmm red flag right there! There were people going to this school that couldn't even draw a freak square.

• Pa
      26th of Sep, 2007

I went to the Academy of Design and graduated unfortunately.

All I can say is take my advice and stay away from this school!!

The school is a joke! Some of my instructors were great, however the school is horrible.

The most annoying aspect of that school aside from there insanely expensive substandard education is the fact that there credits are no accepted by any other school.

I have been educated by another local community college, and thank god for that because the Academy will not educate you. It will train you, however bare in the mind the cost and the lack of transferability are what make it a school I would highly recommend avoiding at all costs!!!!

• De
      29th of Sep, 2007

They ripped me off too. I would like to do a class action.

• Ki
      13th of Feb, 2008

In 2003, after seeing ads about IADT, I decided to enroll in their Fasion Design Program. The biggest mistake in my whole entire life!!!! Not only did they lie and misrepresent information, IADT wants me to pay for their financial mistakes. I have an Associates Degree in FD but can't even get that "dream job" they talk about. I am over 30,000 in debt. Their staff lack a tremendous amount of knowledge and training. Well maybe not, but have degrees in Bullcrap 101. The credits won't tranfer to another college-excuse me, they will tranfer , but are not accredited like everyone in the Financial Aid & Student loans offices said they would be. So what's the whole point of having credits transfer when they don't count towards anything? I could go on and on about the scandals, lies, and scams that took place at IADT. Even after audits, they still found ways to come up with more money schemes from students. I just can't understand how all of this is legal. To misreperesent so much to so many is wrong! Is that what the school was build upon? Upon a pile of cr*p? The school is definately a rip-off!!! It is really ridiculous. I don't mind paying for loans and my debts, but to pay and continue to pay for their mistakes.. Uhn! Uhn! Wrong answer, not me!!! Nothing against the actuall instructors, they were great! My complaints are against the Financial Aid Office and Student Accounts.

• Kr
      19th of Mar, 2008

I'm two quarters away from graduating. Going to this school is A LOT of work. I'm burnt out and thinking about walking away from it. I don't have the energy to even go into it, so just combine the stories above and that's what i've been though - this is how i feel...it's awful!!!

• Me
      24th of Mar, 2008

I recently visited IADT Tampa with my daughter. She wants to major in Recording Arts. Does anyone have advice or comments on their Recording Arts program?

• De
      28th of Mar, 2008

RIP OFF. DONT DO IT. MY SON ALSO DID. THEY PUT YOU IN A CLASS AND WHEN IT COMES TIME TO ATTEND THE CLASS THEY SAY THERE IS NO ROOM AND THEY MAKE THE KIDS TAKE ENGLISH AND HISTORY AND THEN CHARGE YOU 40, 000 AND THEY ARE SO FRUSTRATED THEY DROP OUT. MY SON WAS IN A CAR ACCIDENT AND MISSED CLASSES AND THEY DID NOT WORK WITH HIM. MY OTHER SON, WHO ALSO ATTENDED WAS ILL AND WE APPEALED AND LOST AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO. WE NOW OWE 40.000 FOR SUMMER, FALL AND SPRING SEMESTER AND MY KIDS NOW GO TO ST PETE COLLEGE. THE BEST RECORDING ARTS SCHOOL IS TISCH AT NYU IN NEW YORK IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.

8th of Apr, 2008

I am currently a student at IADT in the fashion program. My comment is in response to the original post:

1) Right off the start, you say that you thought fashion would be fun. That's all well and good, but it sounds like you went more on a whim than a passion. A person who's really interested in fashion would not have just picked the school because it sounded cool.

2) Your first semster, I will agree that you are basically told what courses to take. This is for your own benefit. First of all, they set you up in basic classes that will prepare you for future classes at the Academy. Also, you are asked whether you want to attend day or night classes; everything is available at different times on different days, and I'm sure they did not at any point forcibly make you sign a paper agreeing to your classes if you didn't like them. If you would have spoken up I'm positive you could have changed them to something more suited to your liking---because I did so myself.

3) When you sign up, they ask you how many classes you want to take per semester. Four classes qualifies as full time, but so does three. If you felt that four classes was too much, you could have dropped a class within the first week, adjusted your payment plan, and simply taken 12 credits per semester while still qualifying as a full-time student.

4) As for the attendance policy (which is intricately explained in almost every piece of literature issued by the school), it is a system that works out to your benefit. Your teachers call you after you miss two classes because the classes are quite intensive and two classes equals out to a lot of work for you to catch up on. Each semester is only 11 weeks; with two classes a week, missing two classes is like missing nearly 10% of a semester.

5) You were most definitely not sent a letter saying you were on the Dean's List because, as you stated, IADT does not have a dean. I know exactly what you were sent because I just received my third consecutive notice a few days ago; the card specifically says "you have accomplished great achievements" and are invited to an "Honors Brunch." Nowhere does this card make any mention of a dean.

6) I completely understand the hassles you were given when changing from full-time to part-time and from Fashion Design to Interior Design. First of all, the transition from fullt-ime to part-time would be extremely difficult for the school as they would have to re-configure your entire payment plan as well as the student aid which you set up as a full-time student. Changing majors is also frustrating for the school because it shows a lack of commitment on your end of the deal. They are no longer certain that you are a serious, dedicated student.

7) Admittedly, you were treated a little less-than-desirably by your registrar. But at the same time, all of the policies that they enforced on you are clearly stated in all of the literature from the school. You signed your name on documents stating that you agreed to all of their codes and policies; therefore, they have the right to follow through with these rules and grade you accordingly. I will also say that although your situation seems like it was particularly difficult, the teachers all make it very clear within the first week or so of class to drop the class as soon as possible if the workload is too much for the students.

8) IADT is recognized as a school in Michigan. However, as clearly stated on the IADT website, their accreditor is a smaller company that may or may not be recognized by other institutions. The idea is that when you enter their school, you are going to stay in their school. I know that my admissions rep personally asked a lot of questions during my orientation to ensure that I was interested in Fashion Design and was intent on finishing my degree at their school.

9) As for job placement, we are talking about the fashion industry. Job placement from any school is relatively poor in this field, but because IADT has no real admissions requirements, a lot of students are able to enter the school who probably don't have the skill or talent level that other schools would require. These students are able to make it through all of their classes and graduate, but their natural talent is lacking, and it is this that prevents them from getting a job.

10) As for instructor credibility, I can confidently say that 90% of my instructors have at least ten years of experience in their field. I've had professors who worked with costume directors on movies, who own their own independent clothing lines, and who own nationwide clothing manufacturing and pattern drafting franchises. This is just a small smaple of my instructors; I have never been disappointed by the history of any one of my teachers.

All in all, I think your difficulty with the school was related to your own difficult situation and preconceived notions that the Academy would operate just like any other college. IADT is a unique college which requires a certain kind of student to attend there; and if the environment there is too strenuous or too challenging for you, I guess it's for the best that you left them. I started my fourth semester today (meaning my sophomore year, with my three-year degree) and have absolutely no plans to leave the school. I would recommend IADT to anyone who has the passion for their field and the dedication to succeed.

15th of Apr, 2008

I'm in the process of talking with IADT of Tampa...Needless to say I am confused..Why dont they have student loans? I mean EVERY other college out has student loans! In their game design course they only offer ONE programming class.. They dont offer remedial courses for math (so i'm SOL) which isnt that big of a deal..You have all been there done that so i thought i should ask you because they seem affordable at 57k compared to the school of my choice (84k) i talked to them about these complaint board but it seems like they really dont care about what you are saying. They swear that they are acred'ed their BBB rating is A+... With no current complaints filed against them... is there any current students that i can talk to about the school (without the school telling them what to say?)

16th of Apr, 2008

feel free to shoot me an e-mail about it anytime...my e-mail is astronautgi90923@cs.com

just put iadt in the subject or something :-)

• Ed
      19th of Apr, 2008

IADT's accreditor is far from a "smaller company". ACICS accredits for profit schools such as those owned by the Career Education Corporation. Companies like this are part of a billion dollar a year industry. Schools accredited by this organization are NOT recognized by the 4 major regional accrediting bodies in the U.S.. Yes "nationally" accredited schools are recognized by the department of education, but only to the point that they are legally allowed to accept financial aid from students. These schools are out there to make money. They do not follow the same guidelines and requirements as regionally accredited schools. They require far less experience from instructors, some of which only graduated the same school only semesters before they were hired to teach. In some cases at IADT in tampa, I noticed they had people teaching classes for filmmaking when they only had a degree from the same school in graphic design.

Also Dont forget how overpriced cost of this school. At nearly 400 dollars a credit hour, that puts the school at almost if not double the price of all the public universities out there. And as far as the "get a year degree in less than 3" shtick they throw out there, thats only if you take classes all year round. If you went to a real university and took classes winter fall and summer full time you'd finish in less time too. But real people don't do that.

All in all do your research and just dont look into schools that advertise on TV. More time than not they are a scam. The worlds best artists, graphic designers, photographers, fashion designers, ect. all got started with self determination, not at a school they saw on TV that promised them the world. Plus be careful who you talk to online because a lot of the time when someone goes into detail about how great the school is in detail on a blog or forum they are actually an employee of the school.

10th of May, 2008

wow, Eddie. at eighteen years old i must be the youngest "employee" the school's got.

29th of May, 2008

I started school at IADT Las Vegas in 06. I am extremely disappointed in the school. Im currently going for my Visual Communications degree, thinking it would be great to have a little everything under my belt, while still learning what I really want to start my career in which is Web Design. I understand that IADT is focused on teaching a broad array of skills, and not just ONE particular thing, but.. I have taken the two Web Design classes that the school offers, and I just feel like anyone that buys the program and the book that goes with it and does it at home would have learned it just as fast. Alot of stuff that I still need to know that is vital to creating a fully functional website, they wont teach me because I might use it "inappropriately" such as a board room or a Log In. My problem is, what if a client asks me to create something that the school didnt teach me? Do I just tell them "Sorry, my school didnt want to teach me how to do that because its inappropriate". I have been told to just go out and learn it on my own, which is all good and fine, but I shouldnt have to do that. Im paying good money to get the education that I want, and they should be able to answer questions when I present them with one. The general ed classes seem to be more in depth then the actual hands on classes are. I feel like im in my junior year of school, and I know a "little" of everything, and in order to learn what I dont yet know, I need to find to find another resource because they refuse to teach it to me, and not just Web Design, but all of my tech classes. Financially, I do not suggest going to this school. Its way to expensive, and if you wanted to transfer none of your credits would go with you, and the staff seems to have the "I dont really care" attitude. Spend your time and money some where else and avoid the frustration this school has the ability of tormenting you with.

• Li
      12th of Jul, 2008

i just got accepted to iadt of chicago, i've read lots of comments about this school, good and bad. can anyone tell me about how there programs operate preferably, some one that has attended atleast 2-3 years.

• Ia
      25th of Jul, 2008

I am currently attending the one in detroit and I am soo miserable there. I have honestly gotten more education at wayne county community college than i have here. I remember my first semester I took a photoshop class and i litterally learned nothing. this teacher spent the whole term talking aboust his girlfriend and life in canada and hitting on all the female students. I was already pretty good with that program but theres always more to learn. I learned more from the students than this guy. Im in a audio class now and again not learning anything. he dismisses us an hour early and in the time we are there we dont even do anything. so far all we have done is a voice over assignment which does apply to audio but I think we should be learning about maybe music production or recording equipment. There are a few good teachers but hell some of them have either been fired or quit.

They didnt even bother looking at my portfolio when i brought it. They let anyone that has the money attend this school. There was one kid that was obviously mentally ###ed. He didnt know how to save a picture from the internet and they let this kid attend this school. I mean I know there are some brilliant people with autism but give me a break. They took advantage of him and his mothers money and its a damn shame. I could go on and on, i mean teachers and admissions reps sleeping with students, one admissions rep tried to fight me and nothing happened to him or his job. Im not exagerating the guy litterally tried to fight me over a joke. One of the video teachers seriously spent one whole class talking about how she does extasy. You might think im making this up but sadly im not. For the amount of money that we pay our education is not adding up and its not right.

ive been there since summer of 07 and I just want out. I know im probably deep in debt but I just want out. Lately I barely even go to class because its just depressing knowing that this school did not accept me because of my artistic talents. No to them I was just another dollar.

anyone thinking of going to this school, DONT. I cant speak for the other institutions, because ive heard some good things about the chicago one but DONT for the love of god dont go here.

1st of Aug, 2008

I go to IADT Detroit; I am in my fifth semester and I have no complaints like a few other people posting on here do.

IADT Slave, It doesn't sound like you are expressing to your teachers that you feel the work is too remedial. If all of you in the class knew the material but still allowed yourselves to be released an hour early every day; then there was an obvious lack of communication from the students to the professor.

I unfortunately have to agree that the school should have a better admissions system; there are a lot of people who attend our campus that are far behind the skill level that they should be at. Honestly, I try to think of it this way: everyone in that building is my future competition; if I have more skill than them I am not going to slow down worrying about the school's ethics. As heartless as it sounds, I have to be more concerned about my own grades and success than other peoples'. However, there are also many very talented students at our school. Our school is a for-profit, private institution; like any other business they have to be open-minded as to who they let in the door. What did you want them to do, turn down a potential student just because he wasn't experienced in his field? I say, give the new students a chance; if they want to pay the money to do so then it is their own choice.

On your last points...in the first place, I have NEVER heard of any faculty sleeping with students, but honestly it's college and it does happen. Not just at IADT, but at colleges everywhere. Secondly, if the other faculty member was angry enough to want to fight you, then you obviously said something out of line or inappropriate. He is just human, the same as you. Lastly, I have never had a teacher even hint about doing drugs other than one teacher saying that he occasionally smokes weed. As long as he's not doing it in class and still giving me a good education, I don't really feel like I have the right to call him out on it. Any anecdotes my teachers have shared with me about their personal lives has always been wholesome and helped me relate to them as a normal person.

And finally, why has it taken you a year to realize that you don't want to go here? If all of these problems are bothering you so badly, you should have done something about it by now. You are paying a lot of money to be barely attending classes. Stop complaining about how horrible the school is and do something about it. The most annoying thing at school is when someone is standing in the hall ### about how much the school sucks, yet they come in to class every day, semester after semester, paying their money to sit through classes they apparently don't even like. If you don't want to be there, then leave; because all you're doing is dragging everyone around you down.

• Ia
      1st of Aug, 2008

I have done something about it thankyou, and just because you dont see it doesnt mean it does not exist. Im sorry but we are not getting our moneys worth. As for the teacher that tried to fight me, no I didnt say anything out of line to him. He asked me if I went here and I jokingly said "i dont go here" because I know he sees me everyday. From there he got an attitude and started with me. As a staff member he should not have threatened me for one and got in my face. Dont judge me like you know me because you were not there simple as that.

why am i still here? because im a year in, may as well finish out. ive invested in a lot of money. youre right though. no point in complaining about it if im still going, however i cant imagine you not thinking they shouldnt have standards as to whom they let in the school. Not only that, there are too many teachers with no experience in their supposed field.

all in all i have my opinion you have yours, no need to jump down my throat for expressing mine. and me dragging everyone else down? a little dramatic dont you think? Like i said i agree with you about the complaining thing but im not dragging anyone down with me, i cant help it if people feel the same way as i do. Ah whatever though, nothing personal. no need for a online argument because two people have an opinion.

• Fr
      14th of Aug, 2008

I go to IADT online This is my second session I love the school I love fashion I don't understand they had been honest from the beginning and they do take credit.