Huisgenoot / You Managzine / Scratch card scam

1 South Africa Review updated:

I purchased the Huisgenoot magazine d.d. 7-October-2010 & found a scratch card inside. After doing the scratch work, I found to have had three of the same symbols, know I had to scratch the 2nd block saying that one of the prizes will be sent to me, I than had to scratch block 3 and found what seemed to be a "unique" 4 digit number together with the instructions to SMS this number, my name & postal address to the SMS no. 36632, of which I did - SMS cost was R5.00.

a Few seconds later I got confirmation that my winning number was accepted. In the meantime I read the scratch card (issued by International Merchandising Services - 21st AnniversaryCelebration) - address Private Bag X15, Eppindust. 7475.

The prizes were :- R10 000 travel voucher, DSTV set, HD TV, Cellphone, Digital camera, Hi-Fi, GPS, DVD player, diswasher of which any one will be sent to you within 5 days of receiving SMS confirmation.

Next morning "Googled" International Merchandising Services on I-Net & up came several complaints - this is a scam !! Please do the same & read !!

How can Huisgenoot magazine do something like this or even allow a respectable magazine of many years to participate in this ??

Could we as readers please have answers & International Merchandising Services be wiped off the face of the earth - JAIL !!

Comments

5th of Oct, 2010

All this seems to me a crap and made up stories . I have personally called them and taken up the services from them it's all fake and some unfaithful stories that you are making. Probably fo once you may have come across the bad service due to one of the technicians but generalizing it on whole of the company is not that good. Every Individual has particular attitude . Its just that . When I took the services from them 3 years back they were wonderful and now they are awesome in delivering the best of the services of the world. The technicians are very well groomed and very well trained for the services being offered

• Mi
      8th of Dec, 2010

John A. Simm er if you ar e part and parcel of International Merchandising Services it is a scam. I sent R50 (Rands) for a so called R10, 000 Holiday Travel Voucher to redeem it, which is valid for eighteen Months. Two months later I am still waiting for confirmation. I also sent R150 for postage for some ficticious prize as well which I have also won. Your company now requires another R200 for more postage for the prize supposed worth R7000. Firstly let me say you and your company will get caught! If you don't believe that is fraud you are living on Cloud Kuckoo Land! The sad part of all of this is that "People Magazine" where I got the scratch card support people like you.

Michael P. White
    Port Elizabeth,
    South Africa.

• El
      31st of Dec, 2010

I receive my edgars club card magazine on a monthly basis. It arrives in a sealed packaged. Upon opening the package, I saw the scratch card and though -cool maybe I'll win something (it's in an Edgars Club Card Magazine so therefore it would be legitimate right). And oh lucky me, I did get 3 symbols. Then I sent the sms and received confirmatin that my package with the prize will be despatced after I had to reply to the sms with my postal information.

I did not receive a package but rather a letter from them requesting I do a postal order payment for the shipping costs of my parcel and also that I have won a R10, 000.00 holiday voucher for which I have to register on www.travelclaims.co.za. I went to the post office, bought the postal order and sent off the confirmatin of parcel acceptance together with the postal order to the enclosed envelope.

I have not been able to get hold of the company nor have I received any confirmation from then. I did, however, receive numberous other letters stating that I have won R115, 000.00 and that I am to send another postal order (more money?) to them confirmting I accept the winnings.

NONE of the letters display a REG. No. or VAT no. for the company so I decided to do some research as an answering machine is the only response when phoning the company. Apparently International Merchandise Services and Lifestyle Mail are both working under one name. Lifestyle Mail has a website from which you can order products (it seems legitimate and might perhaps be what Mr John A. Simmer is refering to.

The office of Internatinal Merchandise Services are open again from 05 January 2011. I am definitely doing investigatin into this.

Thank you for the comments.

Ella

31st of Dec, 2010

Mr. John A. Simmer, maybe you are the person we are all looking for, taking our money, that's why you cannot stop talking about these people, about how good they are !!

We gotcha !! We will be coming for you soon !!