HughesNet.com / stuck with overpriced service

Keytesville, MO, United States Review updated:

I found a better alternative to Hughesnet which may work for some of you. I link my cell phone to my laptop and use it as a modem. it's really not much if any slower than the hughesnet service I usually get. Of course you have to have a data plan but with my carrier I get unlimited access for $25.00 a month which beats the 90 I am paying hughesnet.

As with many others I have read my service is really slow and the download limit ridiculous. According to their own charts if you use the 2nd highest download speed which I have you have approximately one hour of usage at that speed before you reach the download limit and they cut you off for their version of twenty four hours which really means when they feel like it and get around to it they will remove the restriction. Today I called after being off for 27 hours and they said that I'd be up within an hour. We'll see.

Comments

• Je
      21st of Jul, 2008
    Hughesnet.com - double charging for service calls
    HughesNet.com
    3335 Cr 2407
    Rusk Texas
    Texas
    www.hughesnet.com

My satellite internet service developed a problem. After three 1 hour calls to technical support, the problem had not been resolved. Finally asked for a service technician to be dispatched to my home for repairs. Was told that this tech call would cost $125. I said send the tech on out! Tech arrived, fixed the problem and charged me $125. Next billing cycle, Hughesnet charged me an additional $125. So in reality, the service call was $250, not $125 as explained to me. Called billing and discussed the problem with them... did no good, they charge $250 per service call for whatever the problem!!!

Do not do business with this company... they are scam artist!!!

• Je
      19th of Aug, 2008

As an authorized HughesNet Installing Dealer, I am reading the posted complaints and need to vent. The majority of these complaints are ridiculous. First of all I suggest any potential customers locate a local area dealer-We are out there.As far as performance of the system. Anyone with half a brain knows that internet connection speeds are not gauranteed by any broadband provider. The reason for this is simple. The number of users at any given time varys and that as well as other factors will determine your speed. As far as on-line gaming, Hughesnet clearly states their system is not designed to function properly due to latency. If you complainers would take the time to research what you are buying, than perhaps your expectations would not be unreasonable. Our company has sold and Installed Hundreds of these systems and if installed properly it is a very reliable and fast system. As far as the whiner who complained about pole mount Installation. Hughesnet clearly states"Pole mounts are125.99-150.00 additional charge. This is because ther are strict guidlines as to size of pole and amount of concrete to be used.
    For those of us who need broadband and do not have acess to cable or dsl, Hughesnet is a wonderful option and is well worth every penny. I will gladly debate any of you nit-wits as to the merits of this system. Remember this: For every (1) complaint there are hundreds if not thousands of satisfied customers out there.

• Aj
      1st of Sep, 2008
    Hughesnet.com - terrible company
    hughesnet.com

My wife and I signed up for hughesnet service in June of '07. We live in a very rural farm area and only have 2 options for internet. Dial up or satalite. Tired of slow dial up, we signed up. We paid $400 in advance for the equipment and instalation. We were supposed to get a $100 rebate. We downloaded the rebate form. It stated that we had to wait 2 months. By then the offer was expired. Since we signed up, the service has been slower than dial up. We have complained to customer service which sends you to tech support in India. These people are barley understandable. Eventually they send a tech contractor to your home. This is usally the guy who intalled it. Never fixed the problem. Over 13 months we had maybe 6 service calls. The other thing blamed for the slow service was the fair usage policy. Something never mentioned when we signed up for the service. Asknig for more punishment, my wife and I decided to upgrade our plan to the proplan. The phone call was easy enough. They said all we had left to do was rerun the setup prograhm on our home computer. Half way thru this process, we get an error message. My wife calls the tech support. A week later they send someone to aim our dish at a diffrent satalite. Some where during this process, they inactivated the original account that was in my name and made a new one in my wife's name. Then wanted an immediate payment of $93. This was for equipment for which was already ours. I spent an hour and a half on the phone with billing trying to get this problem fixed. They wanted me to da all the leg work for their screw up. I was supposed to call tech support to get the accounts merged, then call back to billing to get a refund of the money that I was chrged for in error. Finally I had enough. I told them to cancel both accounts and dtop all buisness transactions immediately. Well now they start talking about early cancelation fees. They already closed my account. They have aready voided the agreement. A day later they took $250 out of my account. I am contacting a lawyer and filing a lawsuit against hughes. If anyone else is intersted let me know.

3rd of Sep, 2008
    Hughesnet.com - rip off service
    Hughesnet
    Germantown
    Maryland
    hughesnet.com

We got Hughesnet satellite service in July 2017 and have had problems with it right from the beginning. As the months rolled by, being a year now that we have had the service - service has gotten even worst.

We have an HN7000S with hoem service and are suppose to get 1.0 mbps service. For that rate of speed you need to be online between 3am to 6am eastern time, after that it drops to 680 kbps and slower. The worst part of all that they don't tell you about is a think called "Fare access policy" - with the service I'm paying for, you are only allow to I download 285mb of data in a 24 hr period, if you download that much in one hr - you are cut off under 24hrs elapse.

I work from home and so does the wife sometimes and we download large file and get cut off after 2 or 3 hrs. Our boss has stopped allowing us to work from home. Hughesnet is a rip off service and the india tech support is useless. They can't fix anything.

If you don't have hughes net - stay away -- we are changing to Verizon WiFi it is better. I hope that takwe me to court for not paying the cancelation fee so I can have the media in the court room so everyone will know about this company.

• Cl
      20th of Sep, 2008

I get into FAP at least twice and sometimes three times a week just browsing.If aperson can't use 1.6 meg and on top of that go on socisl sites with out going into FAP.What good is it.

• Ro
      2nd of Jan, 2009

So Jerry Jones, would you use Hughesnet if you had to pay for it? Let's be honest here.

I highly doubt that you would. The amount they charge for the level of customer care and broadband connection is just wrong. Their Fair Access Policy is overly harsh on any customer...even if they may be a person who doesn't use the internet at all for a month and then decides to download one semi-large file...and gets treated like a hog. I bet you an overwhelming majority of the employees use a different internet service.

And for every (1) complaint, there are thousands of unsatisfied customers out there who can't even access this site to post their complaint.

• Da
      21st of May, 2009

Yes, we know exactly what you mean. We also live in a rural and only have access to 2 kinds of internet service. When we signed up we were told that our bill would only be about 50.00 dollars and that included taxes. The next month they took 77.00 out of our checking account. I called about that and the fact that our service was extremely slow and that is when I was told about the limited downloads. we just got service in March of 2017 and wish we had known about these complaints earlier, now we are stuck with a 2 year contract and bad, bad, bad, and even worse service than the slowest dialup. I hope this will help save someone else some money and a lot of heartache. Lower Alabama

• Ju
      22nd of Jul, 2009

hughes has ripped me off too. and i have only had the service about 6 months. each and every time i try to call and make a complaint, they direct me to india. that is no help. the members from india can not fix my problem. for the price we pay for this mess, you would think they would have service here to come out and fix it. not call india.

1st of Sep, 2009

Installers are NOT Hughes, but independent contractors hired to put up equipment. I sincerly doubt there are many installers who use Hughes. My son-in-law is an installer, and he won't recommend Hughes. I've had Hughes (no other option here) for 9 years - it was great when I first signed up, but continues to decline every year, in service and reliability. And it's not becuase more people are using it around here - other options are becomeing available nearby and people are abandoing Hughes as soon as they can get something else. I will too.

I also had Hughes send out a tech because the tranceiver on the satelite dish needed replaced. I was also told the charge would be $125, and agreed. I waited 3 days, the installer never came out. I called Hughes, got the number for the installer, called them ... and was told they don't work in my area. They gave me a number to a different installer (both numbers long disctance), and I finally got someone to come out. I told him Hughes said the repair would be $125, which he aggreed to, and I paid him. Got my next statement from Hughes with the $125 charge, and called to report that I had already paid the installer. Only then was it explained to me that the installer fee is separate - Hughes charges $125 just to contact the installer! And they called the wrong one, costing me down time, as well as two calls on my own! To me, that is fraud, but what are ya gonna do when you just don't have any other option?

Jerry Jones, as an installer, you have no right to vent - you get paid to do a job. When you get screwed over as a customer, then you might have a right to complain about whiners. In 9 years, I could tell you some real stories about how unresponsive and unreliable Hughes is.

As for the FAP (Fair Access Policy), it is any BUT fair. It is a deliberate attempt to get you to pay MORE, that's all. The more you pay, the higher the "threshold". So the bandwidth is obviously available, but only if you have the money to pay for it. Hughes is alreay much higher than any competing system, but they can follow monopolitist practices and pricing because they have a practical monopoly in most rural areas. Verizon isn't going to put up DSL switches, and Comcast is too cheap to run a cable trunkline 6 miles, so why ya gonna call? Websites are using more fancy bells and whistles, and a lot more flash, so even web browsing is pulling down MB's more than it use to, and Hughes conveniently LOWERED it's FAP thresholds! All to drive up revenue, nothing more. Read the FAP FAQ - no where do they tell you over what period of time you have to reach that threshold limit, and I have yet to figure it out. no one in tech support can tell you what the time limit is, either. Sometimes it's 4 hours, sometimes it's 24 hours. Yes, I had them throw me into FAP for an accumation the finally exceeded the threshold limit in 24 hours, even thought they had NEVER done that to me before. Are they gonna change it to a week, next time? FAP is BS.

It also has been documented by many people that Hughes actually LIMITS BANDWIDTH TO MOST CUSTOMERS BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 4:00 AND MIDNIGHT EASTERN TIME!!! I documented this myself for a while. I ran an independent bandwidth test every day for two weeks, documenting the rates and the time. This was not "too many people on the web" BS. Consistantly the bandwidth dropped at 4:00 PM, and jumped up at Midnight. I took readings at various time during the day, hourly when I could, in preparation to submit a coplaint to the BBB and others. Interestingly enough, all at once the shutdown stopped. I went three months with very good access ALL EVENING!!! Sure, I could tell when the internet was congested, but the bandwidth actually fluctuated, and neve dropped to the 20KB limit that I dealt with during those previous weeks (and it was a constant cap of 20KB, never fluctuating, between 4:00 and Midnight). Well, now we are back to the old crap again, and here I am researching complaints because I am getting ready to start over and I will report my findings.

J. S, stick to installing the equipment, and let the complaints to actual customers. We don't know your propoganda - you are pushing something because you want to make money, not because it is any good. Use it, then you might have a leg to stand on. Until then, just keep being the Hughes puppet we who have REAL complaints know you to be.

1st of Sep, 2009

Except for between the hours of 4:00 to midnight Eastern time, I can't agree that cellular would be comperable in speed. During that time frame, however, it has been documented that Hughes does limit bandwidth, although their reps are told to deny it and blame it on internet congestion. However, outside that time frame, the speed isn't too bad. It's never reaches anything close to their stated limits, but at least it outshines cellular or dialup. High Speed Cellular (Sprint, Verizon) is an option, except every carrier I check with has a 5GB limit per month, and very high per MB charges after that - so that blows that idea.

The FAP is anything but fair. The give you a threshold limit, but no where does it say the period of time you have to reach that limit. I used to be able to figure 4 hours. But then suddenly I got shut down after reaching that limit in 24 hours - I just had steady usage that particular day. No even the reps can tell you how long you have, and there is nothing offered by Hughes to help you monitor your usage. With websites using a lot more flash, even general surfing is pushing the FAP limits now. It's ridiculous and very unfair.

They also state you will be shut down for 24 hours - or it could be longer. Again, nothing defined. I was shut down for 48 hours, and spent time on the phone with a manager who could not explain why it had happened (this was at the 30+ hour mark). My case was supposedly escalated to engineering (right) but I was still shut down for 48 hours with no explanaition, apology, or credit.

FAP is nothing more than a revenue gerneration mechanism. If you pay more, you get a higher threshold. The bandwidth is there, you just have to pay for it. It's not "supply and demand" - for Hughes, it's "we demand, and maybe we'll supply".

I've been with Hughes for 9 years - there just isn't any other viable option where I live, tho I am constantly searching. as soon as there is, I'm dropping Hughes. Anyone who asks me, I warn to stay away from Hughes.

• Ra
      6th of Sep, 2009

i also understand this heartache. i also live in a rural forested area with dial-up and satelite as my options. As a college student i had to frequently research topics for essays and tests. Although i never had moneyh problems, i have had problems with the bedamned FAP. It would frequently go into exceding FAP while researching topics on tests and my IT cirricullum. This angered my family horribly, so we went to good ol' customer service. I recieve the man named Steve from India who is barely understandable, and says i have to get an upgrade box which would cost 50.00, and i said OK. So we wait the week with NO internet and we get the box, but they send the one that doesnt work properly. So i have one of the Directway people come over, who is actually a good friend of mine and he calls in customer sevice. 5 minutes later, he's yelling at them to send another box, bu they wont. Eventually, my dad makes to the phone and he complains to them and demands to send in another box. Then he gets so steamed up, its 9 o clock at night, and i am mad as hell cursing like a sailor and i insult him so much that he sends me over to a sympathetic lady who actually listened to me and i made 8 complaints to their supervisors. A day later we get the box and everything is in working order. Just one thing, the FAP problem still existed. Eventually i got our medium-sized neighborhood to sign a petition to the commisioners to have DSL and cable installed around our neighborhoods. What became of the hughesnet box? I sent it back in pieces saying cut my bandwith now! So small town: 1 Hughesnet: epic fail.

• Tr
      20th of Sep, 2009

Sue the ### outta those mother ###ers.

22nd of Sep, 2009
    Hughesnet.com - 100% failure in all areas
    Hughesnet
    11717 Exploration Lane
    Germantown
    Maryland
    Phone: 1-877-337-3880
    hughesnet.com

I made the biggest personal judgement error of alltime by joining Heghesnet.com. Faster than dial-up? Not hardly. I started with the $60.00 a month plan because I was told by the female sales agent that based on what I described as my daily useage, the system, bandwith and so on, would be plenty.

After day (2) I had already exceeded my FAP (2) times and was told I needed to buy an upgraded plan which now runs $80.00 a month. Any better speed, performance you ask? Not a bit, not even close. You call tech support and they are foriegn nationationals usually in India or the Phillipines and I admit, they sense if duty and purpose cannot be questioned but their knowledge and ability to make decisions are. They have no lattitude whatsoever. When I signed up, I was told I had a 30 grace period, no questions ask refund for installation and equipment if the system did not meet my needs. well they extended that to 60 days after my 3rd complaint. Now when I called to cancel, I was told that the $125.00 pole I had to pay for was not going to be refunded, nor was the installation fee of $175.00. That the most I would get a refund on was $200.00 on an initial out of pocket expense of $524.00. Plus I have to pay for the "slower than dial-up" service used to date. This system works about 50% or less at full capacity. The rest of the time, I get messages that the satelite linkage is experiencing problems...that is about (6) times per day. Speed I promise is same as dial up the other 50% of the day.

I plan to call Hughesnet today at 1-877-337-3880. I caled the other day to another phone number they had listed and was told the call could not be completed as dialed. I caled (2) more times to make sure I was not making a dialing error myself...but same message came up each successive time.

If the phone call does not achieve anything, I am contacting the FCC, FTC and BBB. hese people need to be investigate for their overt lack of truth in advertising and the fact that they know the systems they offer will NOT meet normal useage needs by customers and have a bait-n-switch operation, probably legal, going on. They sell you a package, knowing it will not work, so you go back only to find out you bought an insufficient package and must upgrade and increase your monthly costs by a whopping 25% just to end up with the same poor quality service.

Please note, if anyone has any suggestions of how I might obtain (REAL) high speed internet without the decepptions, please let me know. I live in an area that does not have cable, DSL or Broadband services...and we are a 1st world nation???????????

Wish me luck against this misleading 800 lb Gorilla!

Walter A. Bradford [protected]@msn.com

10th of Apr, 2010

dail-up is 56k and hughesnet 9000 system get 1000k for 59.99 im sure you have 5 computers on th ehome plan or something go back to dail-up and shut up.

• Ti
      10th of Apr, 2010

HughesNet is the absolute worst. I never could cancel my previous dial-up plan while we were on HughesNet. It worked well for about a month, and then went straight downhill. And customer service? They can't even spell it.

Walter, see if Alacrity is available in your area. Will be happy to email more info if you're still looking.

10th of Apr, 2010

Oh yeah and im sorry the installer who did the custom work installing your system, such as pole mount cant come rip it out and give you your 125 bucks back for it but maybe you should have set your own pole or are you too lazy. That has nothing to do with hughesnet it a non-standard charge for putting it on a ground-mount for whatever reason. Im sure if you even work at all that you wouldnt give back money for custom work you did. But then you complain about 125 bucks you paid a guy to dig a 3 foot hole with post-hole diggers, concrete a 2 3/8 diameter 9 foot pole in the ground and then bury up to 25 foot of cable. Yeah let me get that check right out to you. My god man get a life. Standard installtion or free installtion since thats the word you losers love is a roof mount. And like i said you always can set your own pole. So you're lazy and cheap.

Get the 9000 system or move out of the woods you cheap people 59.99 1 meg

10th of Apr, 2010

I have 100 happy customer to every one of you specail people and to everybody in the world no matter where you work you know how you have so many customer thta just make you love your job and then there the over-demanding verbally abusive a-hole that makes you wonder why you even try to make them happy. That's who these people are. just realize they agreed to everything during pre-install and had to sign and approve everything with the installer before they were charged a dime and then had thirty days to cancel service. Now if you dont have the 9000 system and you're complaing about speed im sure you went out and bought a new 1000 computer this year but have the same old 6000 system out in the yard installed years ago god forbid you update your actual internet conncection i'll just complain how its gotten slow over the years or maybe is it you have friends now that actually have cable and dsl and you have a 6 year old dish instead of the new technology. What ###s

11th of Apr, 2010

Not only not very polite, but stooping to childish name calling. Nothing he says can be backed up by real world stats. He fails to mention that upgrading the Hughes system is expensive, because it involves changing out all the equipment. The deals are only for new customers. Once Hughes has you, they know you don't have any alternative and so they are gonna stick it to you when they can. The 9000 is only guaranteed at the same rate for download that the 7000s is, unless you pay for the $120 a month service. Seems to me that name-caller is only out to see more upgrades and put more money in his own pocket. Most users don't have the technical expertise to even understand what they are getting. I know Hughes hates it when i call, because I've already been over all there crap baby-steps and so they can't BS me about what the problem really is. And I NEVER signed up for the crap I have to deal with now -- I agreed to a 4 HOUR FAP threshold, not the unfair 24 hour that they shoved down our throats. Mr. "Hughesnet Dealer", you need to keep your unsupported propaganda out of the complaints area. Name calling is very poor advertising. Hughes continues to go down hill in customer support ratings, and I'll dump them just as soon as there is any viable alternative.

14th of May, 2010

Apparently the only way to resolve an issue is to go through the BBB or other institution, so if you haven't already - do it! I checked HughesNet's rating on BBB - it's an A+!!! They have a couple thousand complaints registered against them (including the one I lodged against them today with the BBB), and they have all but 1-2 per category resolved, so that gives them an A+ (wow, don't we all feel protected now?). I have been fighting with HughesNet for SIX MONTHS about biling me for for terrible service that I cancelled SIX MONTHS ago. They still want me to pay them; they still keep trying to charge my credit card, and yesterday I got a collection letter. I have a credit score of 796 and have never been late on anything in my life. Enough already. I wish I had answer of another provider for you but I don't. My rural area just got broadband through my phone company six months ago. I would recommend to everyone not to use HughesNet, but to just haul yourself, your kids, your homework, backpack and disks/CDs down to the local library (which oddly enough had broadband long before me), and just wait it out.

• Ib
      7th of Nov, 2010

Something that my area got recently was wireless. They put a connection for it on a neighbors corn silo and now, that i'm free from that rediculus contract, that's what i'm getting. as long as it's lined up correctly, you should get good service even in the wind and snow (HughesNet can't promise that). you just need enough of a clear line that you would need for HughesNet, and it would be with a more 'local' internet service. They may have to find a place high up to put it, but many places will help and look into that for you

• Rk
      25th of Sep, 2011

I've been with Hughes Net/Direct Way as well for more than 12 years. All the above is true and worst.

FAP should be a rolling 7 day/576hrs. You can not use the service for more than a week... and then return home only to exceed the FAP in a couple hours. Such a shame there is no alternative to force these folks to offering a Fair Plan for a Fair and reasonable price. I pay 80/month for 425MB/24hrs... or at the speed offered app. 1 hr usage a 24/hr period.

They want to state how fast the speed is, which I could live with since there is no other option where I live (like the poor sole above) but the FAP is a complete RIP plan. A perfect example of unfair business practice at work. Almost like dealing with the current government.

• Rk
      25th of Sep, 2011

YES, all TRUE!

16th of Nov, 2011

Hughes has a thirty day grace period, couldn't you have canceled during that period for a full refund. Now that's minus installation of course i mean it's not like they could undo the work to install the system. Additionally no provider guranntees any speed that would be dumb on their part. Every provider states up to. So i guess im saying do research before you buy or cancel within 30 days. Hughesnet moves more data to and from space than any other company in the world.