Hughesnetintolerable customer service

Some of the worst service I have EVER seen. And I say this having spent years working in the utility industry! The only contact that can be made is to people in India who offer nothing but flowery apologies instead of necessary assistance.

Formal complaint filed this morning with the BBB.

I requested last week for my password to be reset, as the login does
not recognize any username or password combination that I am
putting in. I have forgotten what it is. I was directed to the
Password Reset option on the Customer Care page. As directed, I
am attempting to put in the Site ID, Serial Number, etc. and I keep
getting an error that it is not recognized. I was then directed to
contact Technical Support, which I did. I have a transcript of the
hour-plus conversation.

I asked for the representative to review the case information, and I was still asked what the trouble is as if I were talking to a wall.

I also asked multiple times to be put in touch with a representative in the United States and was denied.

I repeatedly asked that the situtation be escalated to a manager, and was denied.

The only suggestion I was given was to create a new account.

Obviously, there is an existing account to which my payments have been made without fail for over four years, through which I receive automated contact from the company, and which I am now considering dissolving altogether in search of a company with support on this continent.

The resolution that I seek is to be contacted directly by an English-speaking management representative in the United States and to have my login information reset so that I may access my account.

Br

Comments

• Fr
      Sep 09, 2007
    HughesNet - high-speed exaggerated!

Has anyone not heard the Hughesnet TV commercials in which they brag about their ever-so-slow "high-speed internet" service. Has anyone sued them yet for false advertising?

I had Direcway for years and it was replaced by Hughesnet. Their service has gone downhill ever since I subscribed. I will cancel the service next week even though I have 6 months left in my contract.

• Ay
      Nov 22, 2007
    HughesNet - ridiculous service
    HughesNet Services
    www.hughesnet.com

I firmly believe that the only reason these people stay in business is because they prey on rural areas with no other access to service. Hughesnet is truly the most awful company I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

I got DirecWay two years ago and was satisfied with that service until Hughesnet stepped in. Since then, I have experienced nothing but problems: periodic service outage lasting several days, horrible download/upload rates, and customer service ranging from useless to downright incompetent. I am currently paying $80/mo for download rates that may hit 100kbps on a good day, upload rates that make dialup look state of the art, and slightly more wiggle room than basic accounts with their idiotic Fair Access Policy. Imagine that! If you dare exceed your allotted bandwidth, you are effectively offline for a full twenty-four hours and paying them for the privilege. (Keep in mind that this allotted bandwidth isn't even remotely enough if you're a medium to heavy user; you might be able to download two or three CDs off of iTunes before the Fair Access Policy kicks in. Hughesnet's FAP makes it completely impossible to use any online movie downloading services, as offered by Amazon.com or other pay services.) If I ever have problems with the service, I have to sit and wait it out for a few days until it clears up; after spending an estimated 40-50 hours total with Customer Service, I have learned that it is not worth 3 to 5 hours of my time in one sitting for absolutely NOTHING to ever get accomplished.

Even now, on Thanksgiving Day, I am being disconnected every 5 to 10 minutes, rendering all realtime applications (such as online games or instant messaging) impossible to use. Customer service? Useless as ever. I've already spent an hour on the phone with them, and am on hold even as I write this complaint.

A warning to all people considering satellite internet: Hughesnet is a sham of an internet service provider and you would be much better served by just about anything else. I live in a rural area where the only other option I have is to switch back to dial-up, and I am honestly considering it. I am sick of this service.

•   Jan 23, 2008
    HughesNet - awful customer service!
    11711 Exploration Lane
    Germantown
    Maryland
    www.hughesnet.com

Hughesnet has the worst customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. If you are lucky enough to get someone on the phone you may or may not be able to understand their broken English. If you asked to be transferred to someone you can understand they accidentally disconnect the call while transferring you. Then if you do get through to someone he or she is a rude person who while keep putting you on hold supposedly looking up your info until you get accidentally disconnected or hang up out of frustration.

My service has been down over a month. A tech was sent out but not in the 5 days like they said, it took nearly 3 weeks. I have lost business and clients due to this. They won't even refund my month of service and refuse to send out another tech without a $125 charge.

I want out of this contract and I would like to cancel the other hughesnet service I have at my farm. I sell security systems and advise 50 clients a year to get satellite Internet. I will no longer be referring anyone to hughesnet.

• Da
      Mar 11, 2008

Help! Long Story story short I have been paying $60.00 a month since 2017 for dial up speed, now its even worse since I upgraded my Modem to the 7000 and my service to the PRO series.

Tecks are on there way to my location again at $125.00 a pop. my low down loa speed is 10 kbps my hight would be 600kbs.

My complaint are falling on deaf ears, Who may I contact to gain help.

[protected]@hughes.net
    [protected]

• Da
      Mar 11, 2008

My complaint are falling on deaf ears, Who may I contact to gain help.

[protected]@hughes.net
    [protected]

• Ba
      Dec 16, 2008
    HughesNet - online scam
    hughesnet.com

I was told a price on the phone because I live out in the country I needed faster service than dial up. Well they convinced me It would be wonderful, well it's not, it was slower than my dial up, and if I wanted better service I had to pay more for it. Also if you use your computer very much it won't work for you. Please don't fall for this scam, because I was not told this information until I signed a contract with them, I canceled in 30 day's and they still want 197.00.

• Rs
      Feb 06, 2009
    HughesNet - various
    HughesNet

Hughesnet is the provider of last resort. These are the main complaints.

1. Fair Access Policy is poorly articulated and completely out of date with modern high speed internet needs. While it would seem that a satellite link is a sophisticated technology, the severe limits of their FAP render their services archaic.

2. Service is a joke. Their favorite trick is to not spend any time actually understanding a request, but replying to an question that has not been asked, usually with a response that is equivalent to a no. Using off-shore reps means they are hard to understand and do not understand you. They are often surley and condescending.

3. Cost. They are high end and considering FAP, they are a terrible value.

I've been a customer since 2017 because I really have no other choices (a long story short).

Flee! Run! Avoid at all costs!

• Te
      Apr 26, 2009

Started service Three days ago and still have not had service since they installed it. Also they say my brand new modem is bad and will send me a new one. They have bad english and give excuse after excuse why my service still has not came in. They have taken money already and say I have to wait another week. This sucks!!!

• Fr
      May 03, 2009
    HughesNet - simply worst
    hughesnet.com

HughesNet is so slow you can't even get their own web page to load to try and get help. The no-service customer agents have no authority and don't speak English. The standard customer service call makes you repeat your information and complaint to 3-4 different people who do not speak English, then they put you on hold for a long time and then they give you a worthless case number for future non-productive calls. Be prepared to spend many frustrating hours on the telephone.

We canceled our rotten service and now are fighting to get a refund on our account. They issued a credit invoice but have not credited my credit card.

Every aspect of this company stinks. Stay away from it.

• Am
      May 07, 2009

I was so excited to finally be getting Hughesnet high speed. The man installed it and gave me a bank contract and told me I needed a new plug in for my cord and left. I went and bought a new plug in and got on line. I had high speed for 3 hours and it went away. It got slower than the dial up I had. To say the least I was pissed. I called and cancelled the service. It took over two hours to get it cancelled, and that's after talking to 7 people. The 7th person assured me I was not to be charged anything as long as I shipped the system back. I did ship the system back at a cost of $40.00 out of my pocket. I looked at my checking account and found I was charged $109.48. I called customer service and was told that it was for activation fees. Aftertalking to 4 people twice more I was told that I could not have my money back. I was given to a very rude manager and she hung up on me. I would like to know where the justice is in stealing from someone. I told the manager that I was assured they would not charge me anything. She said I could not have my money back. Now I'm out $109.48 plus $40.00 shipping and still have nothing to show for it but 3 hours of highe speed. Expensive to say the least.
    My advice is to avoid hughesnet like the plague.

Rude people
    crappy service
    liars and thieves

• Am
      May 07, 2009

I had service for 11 hours and cancelled with assurance that I would not be charged one dime. They are liars. $109.48 is alot of money and tried to get it back. No such luck. The people are rude. The service is crappy. And I would advise anyone to stay clear of these people.

• Ge
      Jun 08, 2009

I have been paying for nothing. My computer is just a tad slower, then dail up and what is really bad, I can't seem to get hold of the net. The last time I did they told I needed to buy a new modum. As soon as my year is up I'm gone.

• Hu
      Jun 11, 2009

I have been with Hughesnet for a year and 3 months.I just recently started having fair access problems.This is very unexceptable.I downloaded 10 songs and went over the threshold.I pay 92.00 a month for this I expect to have service reguardless of what I download.I have 9 more months left on my contract and i'm done.If you need high speed internet I Suggest a Verizon Wireless Wifi Card.Stay away from Hughesnet.I'm telling you this from experience.

I agree about rude people, crappy service, and thieves

• Hu
      Jun 11, 2009

I have had Hughesnet for a year and 3 months now.I recently started having Fair access problems.I only use this service for entertainment.I downloaded 10 songs yesterday and went over the threshold.This is unexceptable.I pay 92.00 per month for service.I guess Hughesnet dictates how much service you have.My suggestion to anyone concidering this HUGHESNET service STAY AWAY.If you want high speed and cannot get broadband try Verizon Wireless Wifi.

• Vi
      Jul 02, 2009
    HughesNet - horrible all around service
    HughesNet.com

This is absolutely the biggest scam for internet service ever. For the price of good internet service, i. E. Att, comcast, etc you receive the lowest tier of service from hughesnet. The pages load horribly slowly. I let my computer download a youtube clip that was 1minute and 32 seconds long and with hughesnet it took 47 hours before I finally gave up. Keep in mind the video never did fully load. When the "technician" came to my house to install my huge eyesore of a dish in my yard he didn't bury the cable from the dish to the house. Due to his laziness the landscapers ran over the cable which shorted out the dish leaving me without service for 27 days! When I called to resolve the issue I chose the automated option that I needed service to the dish. I was placed on hold for nearly half an hour with no response when I decided I would hang up and call back. When I called back I chose the option to start new service. Magically, they picked up after less than a minute of hold time when it came to what they thought would be some poor new suckers money going in their pockets. The person who "helped" me over the phone barely spoke english and was very rude. They did not understand my problem whatsoever.
    When it came time for me to move to my new house it was up to me to take down the dish and move it myself. On top of this the man they sent to my house to install the dish was rude, dirty and incompetent. He proceeded to wear his filthy work boots all over the brand new carpet of my brand new home. To add insult to injury he took 5 days to finally install the dish that I had transported halfway across michigan. He also installed the eyesore right in front of a lakefront window on my property. Although the point of this service was to accommodate my laptop computer the man who serviced the dish did not set up the wireless router that is part of the package I am paying so much for. It is my understanding an i. T. Person is to set up your internet, not just stick a chunk of metal in your yard and leave. This service is a joke! Do not ever get hughesnet service! It is a rip-off and a scam!
    I have attached photos of the quality installation job that left the dish on the ground after a few summer breezes over night and how the wires were pulled tight to the point of breaking due to faulty installation. I also have a photo of the dish right in front of my window overlooking my backyard, blocking the view of the lake.

• Wt
      Jul 18, 2009
    HughesNet - online gaming ruined
    Stroudsburg
    Pennsylvania

Not just the gaming but surfing the internet in general even when this FAP isn't on is very slow!
    Every time I try to play an online game the ping (latency) is always in the thousands--never been lower than 1000. Such as Halo for PC when I try to shoot somebody I warp over a couple feet and I always miss the enemy and then a couple seconds later I get killed and I don't even know what or were from. DO NOT BUY THIS INTERNET CONNECTION FOR ANYTHING. The maximum I can download at is 121kb/sec and the best I've ever uploaded at is 8kb/sec. I usually need to download something over 375mb but no after Hughes showed up they made this Fair Access Policy. If you download over the limit (375mb) you are slowed down to were it takes 6 (at the fastest) minutes to load msn.com. If you own a Hughes system I really feel sorry for you because I know how it feels. A total waste of $80 a month.

•   Jul 19, 2009

DUH

satellite internet is not know for its awesome low latency.

• Ro
      Sep 01, 2009
    HughesNet - bad service
    Ron Hansard
    Clinton
    Kentucky
    Phone: [protected]

I have been a Hughesnet customer for more than 2 years. I purchased the Pro+ plan, which is suppose to give me 1.6 Mbytes download and 256 Kbyte upload speeds. For the first 6 months, the service was great, and I got the speeds I paid for. Then the speeds started going down, and service became irregular. For the past 1 1/2 years I have called Hughesnet technical support hundreds of times, and it is always the same. The technical people, who can't even speak English very well, want me to check the modem lights and perform speed tests (lots of speed tests). I am often told that my problems will clear up in a few hours, or some other lie, just to get me off the phone.

In the middle of August 2017, my download speed dropped to 139 Kbytes and my upload speed hovered at around 50 Kbytes. I contacted tech support and went through the whole routine with the agent, and then he told me there was a problem with the service that would be corrected in 2 hours. It wasn't. This made me very angry and I called back the next day to complain. I was transferred to the billing department, and talked with a billing supervisor. The supervisor apologized for my problems, and told me that she had looked at my history and could see that I hadn't been receiving good service. She offered to rebate me a months service to make up for it. I agreed to this but told her that I wanted my service corrected.

It has been 2 weeks since this happened, and my service has not improved, and I had not seen any rebate on my service cost. I called Customer Service and was told that I was only going to receive a 1 week rebate, because slow service was not enough reason to justify a whole months rebate.

Almost every day I see the Hughesnet advertising on television, and it makes me sick, because I know that none of the promises are true! I am telling all my friends about the real Hughesnet, and encourage everyone to find a better service. Hughesnet makes dialup look good!!!

• Te
      Sep 05, 2009
    HughesNet - faulty equipment, customer service
    Illinois

Stay far, far away from HughesNet as an Internet provider.
    -Service has now been out for two months
    -Last phone call to Technical Support lasted just over an hour
    -Not allowed to speak with a supervisor, there was a bit of a language barrier because his accent was VERY heavy
    -Their dish/radio shorted out, equipment gives electrical shocks, and the modem sparks, we brought in an electrician and the problem is NOT with our wiring, the problem is with the HugesNet equipment and the original installation (about 6 months ago)
    -I can not make them understand their faulty equipment is a fire hazard in my home
    -Their answer is simply to send a new modem
    -Customer service SUCKS!

• Bu
      Sep 06, 2009

Here is information regarding a Class Action Lawsuit against HughesNet:

PBM Files Class Action Against HughesNet --- Satellite Broadband Company

The law-firm of Pogust, Braslow, & Millrood, LLC, recently filed in the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, a lawsuit against HughesNet, Inc., Hughes Communications, Inc., and Hughes Network Systems, LLC, for breach of contract and frauduluent business practices involving the marketing of the HughesNet® Satellite Broadband Network System.

Filed on behalf of HughesNet® subscribers and consumers, the Complaint alleges inter alia that the satellite broadband Company's nationwide advertisement of "Highspeed Internet by Satellite: Wherever Whenever" was materially false and misleading.

The class action lawsuit also alleges that HughesNet intentionally "oversold" its bandwidth, whereby thousands of HughesNet® subscribers and consumers were subjected to limited Internet broadband accessibility, speed, functionality, and connectivity.

Additionally, it is alleged that HughesNet actively marketed HughesNet® subscribers and consumers to upgrade their broadband plan under the representation that such would result in faster Internet broadband access. Despite this, HughesNet® subscribers and consumers experienced significant broadband delays, including extremely slow uploading/downloading speeds, unreliable connectivity, and the inability to access email. Furthermore, HughesNet® subscribers and consumers were often required to incur additional costs, fees, and early termination penalities, as a result of HugheNet's false advertising.

If you or someone you know is a HughesNet® subscriber and/or customer and have experienced similar Internet broadband related issues, please contact our law-firm for a free consultation.

• Rg
      Sep 23, 2009
    HughesNet - terrible service!!!
    Alabama

I live in a remote area that doesn't have cable or high speed internet through the phone line. Obviously, the advertisement regarding ordering hughesnet appealed to me. When I talked to customer service, I told them that my job entailed downloading very large files. To the best of my understanding from the broken English speaking employee, that wouldn't be a problem. I ordered it and of course, my first download went over my fair usage amount or whatever its called. I called to ask why I was told that large downloads wouldn't be a problem, the response was that it wouldn't be if I did my downloads between the hours of 2 - 5 am! Those are typically not my working hours! I now have a wireless card for my computer with 5 GB of downloads per month and it it way cheaper than hughesnet. I'm getting ready to break my contract and can't wait to go to battle with them! In my opinion, it is absolutely the worse service in the industry!!

• Ed
      Sep 30, 2009
    HughesNet - slow and no connection
    Foresthill
    California

In May 2017 I signed up with Hughes for one megabyte service. From day one, the highest speed attained is aboout 200KB. Usually it runs at 76KB. For the last couple of months my speed has degraded to aboot 250 Bytes and now I am locked down becuse it is so slow that everything times out. On Sept 9, 2017 I started a case with Hughes and it is now Sept 30 qand I'm still being told they are looking at it. I have had it and went out and got Netzero which at least gets me online. Their product does not provide the speeds promised and the service is worse. And whatsmore they don't care. I am calling the state utilities commission and trying to see if I can get some satisfaction and accuse them of false advertising and breach of contract.

• Dm
      Oct 12, 2009

Hello Ron,

It looks like we can call and complain, ### and fuss all we want about Hughesnet with no results. I've been there, called those Indians, with the same old story every time...run the speed tests, do the web responsiveness tests. It's always the same story, try again later during off peak hours. Well, I didn't buy this satellite system to stay up all night between 1 am and 6 am to use the internet. Then they say they have no records of my speed tests and web responsiveness tests. I mean I put in my correct SAN number when running the tests at Hughesnet's website so what else can I do for proof? I've been informed they won't guarantee any percentage of any purchased service speed yet they sell it all different levels and prices. I finally dropped my plan to the cheapest offered until my two year contract is up in November 2017. I've been told Hughes will not issue any credits based on consistently slow speeds. It never runs above 56k download.

Unfortunately at&t has informed me there are still no long term plans to run DSL to my house out in the country, yet they installed it two years ago just two miles down the road from me onto a secondary road, "because some people out there wanted it" according to the at&t technician who I caught putting it in at the at&t equipment sitting on the side of the road. I live two miles off U.S. 60 near Mattoon, Ky, the main highway that goes through Crittenden County and it has yet to be installed there. No one will admit it but I suspect there are no plans to upgrade the phone lines through Mattoon because they don't anticipate enough subscribers to make it worth their investment due to the large Amish community in the area.

I've even sent emails to my state rep and other elected officials in Crittenden County. I got a response from one of them who said he forwarded it to someone at at&t, and I got the general feeling of "Now leave me hell alone". So a few weeks later I received a response from someone who claimed to be with at&t in Owensboro, his sentences phrased like an elementary school student composed them, basically saying the same thing as I've heard along, no plans to upgrade.

What a backwoodsy area we live in. Believe me I'm still waiting for my ticket out, and the expiration of my Hughesnet contract.

• Mv
      Oct 19, 2009

Hughesnet gets away with murder with their advertizing. The whole key to their fraud is that small disclaimer at the bottom of the TV advertizements, as well as in the fine print in your contract that says something similar to " we make no guarantee as to speed or uninterrupted service".

Basically, you watch commercial. Comment on how high they are, Realize you cant get any other high speed service, call them, and they smile all the way. shortly after Your first attempt to watch youtube or any other high speed content and experience "broadband unbound", your on with tech support asking why your service is slow as a turd. Its only after they tell you to try resetting your modem, checking your settings etc (after 3 or 4 calls) that they finally tell you about FAP. Sorry my friend but you only get 360Mb per day otherwise we slow you down.

I never heard of anything like this in my life, and hughesnet is hardly the first high speed isp ive had.

I had Comcast, moved and got Charter, then had Verizon, then Hughesnet...

The first 3 services absolutely Rocked. In fact, back in 1997 or so with comcast i had to buy my first modem, then several years later they simply gave me a call to let me know the new two ways were out, and upgraded me for free. The download speed always rocked but those old modems were still connected to a phone line for uploads. they upgraded everyone to two way for free. Charter also rocked with no limits ever being an issue though i still had to pay for equipment and initial setup, my monthly fee with them was all worth it and more. after a year or so they called me to see if i was interested in phone service along with Tv and Internet, and when i said no, they threw in free basic phone service for my local area so i would try it. back then a lot of people were sceptical of using a Cable Co. For phone service when their old phone co had served them so well, so i guess they had decided as a newcomer to the market to just toss in free services for customers who had other services with them. Needless to say after a year or so i signed up for their worldwide plan that was about $30 cheaper than the phone co. Verizon was the best and the fastest, with no equipment at all to buy. I dont know about verizon in other areas of the country, but in pasco county, Florida and the surrounding area, pound for pound they have the best price, Give you the most for that price, speeds upwards of 1.5M providing the place your connecting to is reasonably close and not on Dial up. and their service department is top notch.

okay, after that i moved to a small town and Waited. I waited for 2 years for Dsl to become Available here at my address because i was not interested in paying hughesnet's equipment fees and setup, etc. I also knew nothing about a 360MB cap since i never knew anyone who had hughesnet.

Anyway, after two years of waiting for the local Phone co to say yes, we are extending Dsl Capabilities down the road to your address, i still got a "sorry, its not there yet, and we really dont know when it will be."

So i Called Hughesnet up after two years and then the nightmare began.

After a year or so of dealing with hughesnets excuses and Foreign help line with my personal account, My Dad and I opened a business at our address and suddenly we had the need to call them to upgrade to a business account and we did so for a short time.

Then we happened to attend a local meet for small business owners one day where we found out that their are incentives here for local small businesses to get wired. basically if you were a small business and were slightly outside of a high speed service area, the county would match you 2X dollar on the costs of upgrading the lines going to your business address.

We were approximately .8 Miles outside of the Dsl service area. The total cost on changing out the switches going to our address was $1500.00, and we got matched on it through the rural internet programs the government has set up for individuals as well as SMALL upstart businesses.

our out of pocket cost was around $480.00 to get Dsl extended from the local switching office down the road, and no charge at all for personally owned equipment. This is quite a bit less than my hughesnet Initial fees were for equipment and setup for a personal use account only. ATT on the other hand gave us the main business account for $69.00 or so a month, as well as up to 3 additional personal computers that we want to connect for no additional charge as well as no such thing as an FAP for 1/4 the cost of hughesnet small business. It may have gone up a bit since then im not sure, but its still worth it.

att service is this. Fast speeds as well as: 3 Personal computers allowed, in addition to the main business one, With No such thing heard of as an FAP. The only thing they do do is that they will put a cap on what you are paying for. they have different levels. Your allowed 760k/s for personal accounts and the skys the limit on the business computers. the basic business package is 1.5mb/sec and they guarantee they dont throttle it and its extra if you want to go even faster. Their is simply no MB per day cap set ridiculously low like a certain wireless provider Even as a bonus it just makes me feel good that it was in fact more than worth paying the price to move the line down the road, because one customer (me) was willing to pay for the extention its also a legal requirement that every residential customer on the road before me leading back to the switching station also now has access to dsl if they want it.

thanks for listening and dont ever sign up for hughesnet.

• Mv
      Oct 19, 2009

Basically, Hughesnets business model is this.

Their still using Sputnik for communications. So instead of flying a new one up there and spending $$, they put a ridiculously low cap on their users and dont tell them till its too late.

Meanwhile everyone else is moving at the speed of light (Fiber Optics) or are slowly getting there, so they dont have to worry about or deal with an antiquated infrastructure.

• Ro
      Oct 21, 2009
    HughesNet - not as promised
    California

Customer since 4/08. Unacceptable performance! A HughesNet Tech told me the other day that the minumum acceptable requirements are on the low end 500 anything less than that is not acceptable. It took my Son who is a IT professional to get on the phone with the tech and put HughesNet on the spot. As customers we call for help they tell us they can't guarantee performance speeds during peak hours, (not true) they will ask how the weather is etc, , just a bunch of BS. When a HughesNet tech support rep askes you conduct a ping test (12 sec or less) wich is your speed please realize that it is really your upload and download speed test you should be performing. They don't really want you to know this because this is where you will fnd your true performance speeds.(500 or better) WE AS CONSUMERS MUST HOLD HUGHESNET RESPONSIBLE TO PROVIDE US THE SERVICE THAT WE ARE PAYING FOR! Do you know Comcast was just busted for this! Most providers pay a larger network for the total service then they slow down the us the consumer our speeds to buyback as to not cost them on the back end and charge the consumers for over priced low quality internet to make their money WHAT A SCAM! And the average consumer spends most of their time just frustrated and give in to the fact that oh we are just rural and it is the way it is. NO THEY MUST PROVIDE THEIR CUSTOMERS WHAT THEIR CUSTOMERS HAVE PAID FOR! Just like any other business. Please voice your opinion and lets do something about this nonsence,

• Er
      Nov 02, 2009
    HughesNet - bad service, bad products
    [protected]@yahoo.com
    Goochland County
    Virginia

HughesNet is the worst so called High-speed internet service on the planet. They charge exborbant amounts for promised download & upload speeds that they can not deliver on. The installer didn't even install our service correctly and lied to get an extra $100 by claiming he had to put the dish on a pole instead of on the house (turns out he was too lazy to figure out how to do the right way- especially since the way he did it got him some extra money). The installer took down my anitvirus software and firewalls and then failed to put them back up. As a result my computer was infected with viriuses in no time. HughesNet would not take responsibility - After a bunch of calls one lady said it wasn't the first time the installer forgot to do that. We were promised a month free service that we never got. I had to pay someone $100 bucks to fix my laptop and had to purchase another laptop that I could temporarily use and that could be backup. Every time I call tech support I get a bunch of bull crap and usually someone who doesn't even speak English. I found out there are several other companies posing as competition in our area for HughesNet. However, I have learned Hughsnet ownes and run them all. I get better service and better connection with Netzero. I am really disappointed in Hughesnet. I even filed a complaint with the BBB. After that someone called from Hughesnet promising to follow through - not calls, no follow-up nothing. It looks like I will have to cut my losses and terminate my service. I would NOT advise anyone to use HughesNet for anything.

• St
      Dec 10, 2009
    HughesNet - terrible product and worse service
    Hughes Network Systems LLC
    Maryland
    hughesnet.com

I get consistent download speeds of 1.2 Mbs, although, with my plan, I should get closer to 1.6. HOWEVER, my upload speed is only 30kbps on a good day. I have been on the phone with the tech people several times. All they tell me is that it IS shared bandwidth and my speeds will fluctuate...it takes 15 minutes to email a hi res photo. This is after going through 3 levels of "tech support". The last and apparently highest level of tech support doesn't even take your call, they call you back, usually 4-5 days later.

Dec 23, 2009
    HughesNet - speed/service
    Hughes Net
    Polk
    Pennsylvania

What a sham! Hughes Net should be called lose net because they claims internet speeds 50x faster than dial up and yet at $120/mo my download speeds are at times - slower than dial up. The installation was a complete disaster-the tech was reluctant to install the dish on my roof due to snow so it cost me an extra 100 bucks cash after working him down from $125-plus I had to dig the trench for the cable. In addition, the tech could not use my existing cable from the modem in my garage to my desktop location. He packed his tools and told me to get a wireless router????. Did I mention that the tech was a subcontractor so when you complain to "lose net" they pass the buck-WTF! I've had this "service" less than a week and I already canceled. Do yourself a favor and find someone else to provide your internet service-otherwise bend over and grab your ankles!

• Dd
      Jan 10, 2010
    HughesNet - slow internet service
    Hughes Network Systems LLC
    hughesnet.com

I. Hughesnet does not live up yo its advertised speeds
    2. Their Tech Support Dept. is inept, unqualified, incompetent, worthless, time-wasting, etc., etc. etc.
    3. Their constant daily advertising on DirecTV about how great their service is only suckers more people into buying their service which just makes the problem worse.

I have just filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commision.
    They are online at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

In my complaint I went to add my recent speed test history - and guess what? - Hughesnet had deleted it!
    However I had a copy of it so I was able to send it to the FTC despite Hughesnet.

• Sk
      Feb 03, 2010
    HughesNet - do not fall for this scam
    hughesnet.com

Do not fall for this SCAM... first of all standard installation does not include them putting the dish on a pole thats an extra $125.00 and when they advertise free istallation their not telling you about the $100.00 Activation fee. We used the service for about two in half hours before it went to dial up speed every page that you go to is considered a Download. I thought when they were talking about downloads on the fair access policy they were talking about downloading music and movies but not the case . we had it less than 24hrs and were stuck with a non refundable $170.00 Please research this before you get stuck too . when we called to cancel it they would Not connect us to a superviser but nicely hung up on us .. oh yeh and because we had thirty days to cancil and return the equipment at our expense.. If not for the thirty days we would had to pay the horriable amount for two years.

• Co
      Feb 12, 2010
    HughesNet - slow slow slow
    Hughes
    New York

Been with Hughes and all the predecessors for what seemed like an eternity, and today I am celebrating my cancellation. Their advertisements claim broadband speeds and that is not true, slower than dial up most of the time, even after being "tuned up". Their promise, that if I bought their top of the line modem it would speed me up was a lie. Now for the kicker, they don't tell you about the FAP that is in place to limit you to 200 megabits per day, and if you go over that limit your speed is reduced for 24 hours as a penalty. It is dropped to about 26kbs, no joke, try surfing using that. For those of you who don't know, 200 megabits is a drop in the bucket when you are surfing. And finally, the waits on hold for service help are longer than the lines in the summer time at an ice cream stand located next to 10 little league fields during playoffs. Also it is hard to understand their technicians, as they are mostly in India somewhere. (We need jobs brought back to America) enough said, stay away from this company...

p. s. anyone want to buy some used satellite internet equipment? wink

• Tr
      Feb 17, 2010
    HughesNet - slow speed / no service
    troytice
    Illinois

Living in a rural place hughesnet seemed to be better than dial up, but when it only works 75%of the time, and with the speed of dial up half the time .
    I"m tired of being robbed and dealing with someone over seas that tells me i need a 100$service call to fix any problem i have.
    If hughesnet cannot remedy the problem the mabey the Better Business Beareu would be a good way to go. I plan on filing a complaint with them as well.

• Ok
      Feb 25, 2010
    HughesNet - fap not disclosed
    Oklahoma

Our complaint is like everyone else's. Not one person I spoke with when ordering service told us that we would actually be penalilzed for surfing the web. The first and only time we heard of it was when the installer was LEAVING our home. We were shocked to find out that normal everyday web surfing is considered downloading. We have been shut down twice in a week. We specifically ordered this so I could do online classes which now I find out I won't be able to do with this internet provider because the time spent will go way over the limit of our usage even tho it will only be mostly text I would be browsing. We are having our service cancelled tomorrow as we are still in our 30 day grace period.

• Rs
      Mar 16, 2010

I have had the same issues with Hughes Net. Lied to upon selling it too me, connection slower than a mobile phone, and won't help me over the phone or online chat!!! I was going to try and contact the Attorney General office to see if they could check into it.

• Ar
      Apr 14, 2010
    HughesNet - providing terrible service, so be happy and pay us
    North Carolina

I am sorry to say but I have Hughesnet in the middle of rural North Carolina. The area of which of live is way out in the boondocks, surrounded entirely by old people who won't concede to petition for cable since they feel that nobody in the area needs it (which is entirely bogus).

When Direcway first came around, it was added as a part of our DirectTV bill, which only added around 30 dollars extra which is one hell of a deal. It was a pain whenever there was bad weather but other than that, it was a really good satellite Internet provider. Then, out of nowhere, Hughes comes in and takes over (dun, dun, dun!).

Configuring from Direcway to Hughesnet was a pain to a nightmare to hell on Earth. Being thrown from one Indian serviceperson to another, it took me almost two weeks to finally get some Internet and thank god snail mail was still around for some bills.

Hughesnet started out well in terms of speed though the price was pretty ridiculous for it, almost 70 dollars a month. Then out of nowhere, my speeds went down a deep, deep, DEEP hole. I called customer service to figure this out. After about two hours of being thrown around from one offshore serviceperson to another, then finally told me about the "Fair Access Policy" or the FAP as their silly acronym. They told me I am given a certain bandwidth to download everyday. If I go over, then they penalize me by intentionally slowing down my Internet speeds BELOW dial up speeds for 24 HOURS. And I asked what this encompassed in terms of activating the FAP. They told me that anything outside HTML viewed e-mail and browsing low-intensity websites would not run up the FAP so fast. But almost every website has all sorts of instantly activated videos, audio files, and moving pictures, that pretty much you will run up the FAP in about a hour and a half to two hours. I asked why they implemented this, and they said it is to give "fair access" to all subscribers. I then explained the above statement and they said I could upgrade to the "Pro" level for an extra 30 dollars which adds an extra 100-150 megabytes to download, with the standard (which I had) is only 200 megabytes. I was so upset I explained how ridiculous this is and then they rudely told me that that is company policy and if I don't pay it then I will have no Internet other than dial-up. They then said their is unlimited access to the Internet, not unlimited BROADBAND Internet, even though their stupid commercials say otherwise. Then they added, "How else can I help you today?" I had no choice but to pay. So they get to laugh at my plight of not getting better Internet and take all my money in the process. They are rude, incompetent crooks who take advantage of those who can't get any better Internet in their area.

Please everyone, those who have no other choice but Hughesnet, do not sue HughesNet. It is pointless and a waste of time. Write to your Congressman about how they exploit you by telling you that you have unlimited access to Internet with constant high speeds, but then they tell you after you get it that you don't have unlimited broadband access. Also write that they never mention their Fair Access Policy and their prices are outrageous for thei horrible service from this horrible company. Hopefully in the near future, Congress will pass a law making these Fair Access Policies, misleading advertisement, and hidden terms illegal. I don't see HughesNet changing their scamming ways so I hope to see them go out of business and see their executives and other superior employees poor and on the street for their scamming, rude, and greedy ways.

Apr 20, 2010
    HughesNet - providing of internet access
    hughesnet.com

HughesNet has a habit of cutting me off from internet access when they consider I've reached my "limit".
    Even though I'm still paying for the service, after being cutoff, I have no access to the internt.
    Within the United States, that's considered "Theft Of Services". Which is a punishable crime.
    Gary Stanullwich

Apr 20, 2010

I totally agree with you...HughesNet cuts you off from internet access when they say you've reached the "limit". And have to wait 24 hours before going on the internet again.
    Even though you don't have that (temporary) internet access, you're still paying for that period of time that you DON'T have access !!!

Apr 20, 2010

By saying that, your supporting my grievance against HuhgesNet.
    They cut you off when they decided that you've reached your 'limit". And you don't have internet access for 24 hours ! Even though you're still paying for it !
    Within the United States, it's called "Theft Of Services", which IS punishable by law !!
    "Theft Of Services" is when you pay for a "service", and the business doesn't deliver the "services" or "goods".

Apr 20, 2010

On most days, my download speeds, with HughesNet, is only 5.4kbps !!!
    I say, what kinda garbage is that ??????
    5.4 mbps...yes! But not 5.4kbps...