HughesNet / bad service

1 11717 Exploration LaneGermantown, MD, United States Review updated:

My husband got tranfered to Texas from Illinois. We are curretly with hughes Net Internet service. We Told them we couldn't have a satalite service where we are they don't like satalite dishes in the home accociation. Cable only. We asked hughes net to waive the shut off fee. And they told us if we shut off our service that they will put a $300.00 shut off fee on our charge card.

We have 11 months left on our contract. Iasked them if they could waive the fee wwe can not help it if our company has transfered us out of Illinois to Texas we had to go if we want to pay our bills. Basically they told us tuff.

Va

Comments

Ge
  30th of Apr, 2007
Hughes Net - Bad ISP service

About 5 years ago we were in desperate need of an ISP and we could only get dial up. We called and talked to Direcway for about 6 months before finally purchasing the entire system for over $600. We had it installed and everything went fine, we got a second computer we moved and had the service moved cost another $200 for satellite positioning and such, but we had no problems. Added a third computer to the home network and had no problems. Then about a years ago Hughes.Net took over and OMG we had problems from the first week I got the email. We continued calling customer support for over 1 year now. They continued telling me it was my network setup. I continued to explain to them the only thing I did was watch as my service went from Direcway to HughesNet. I went and spent another $600 on another computer. Upgraded to the HNS7000 still problems. Replaced a second computer another $600. About one week ago I had my husband call because I was fed up. A technician finally came out and checked out our satellite. Positioning was off and he fixed that and fixed some settings. Still having problems I called the repair technician, he said they have SOFTWARE THAT REDUCES YOUR SPEED IF YOU DOWNLOAD TOO MUCH ON ONE SYSTEM. OMG I was furious, I connected to a Hughes.Net representative that affirmed this I was so furious. I pay for an unlimited accountant I am getting limited I am still furious. Letting everyone know. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE PURCHASING HUGHES.NET!!!

Ma
  14th of Aug, 2008

I have been a customer for years now with 7000s, 1.5 meg speed, never exceeding the 425 FAP, For the past
2 weeks my speed at 11 am cst drops to 39-75 K (kilo) until 11 pm cst, then returns.
India tech support will not transfer me to higher support.
I can't be the only customer with this same problem.
This is fraud loosing my speed for a consistant 10 hours daily and paying $83 monthly.
i WILL cancel my debit card so they will be charging me $300 cancel fee, good bye
Hughes Net, to think they are running TV ads for new customers.
India Tech support said it's peak hours, but 75K and happens exactly the same hours.
Bull and good bye hughes, I will be posting this on all my Tech support forums.
more than 1 millon members will respect me.
marsh_0x is my log in, Google knows me well.

Marsh

Rr
  29th of Aug, 2008

HughesNet Internet advertised speeds are FALSE ADVERTISEMENT ...period!!! Their advertised 1000/200 for the PRO plan which costs close to $70 per month ... generally averages 500/100. I have invested in all the "upgrades" ... antennae, newer modem (terminal adapter), spent hours w/support. ran rediculous "speed tests each support session, have months of speed tests supporting my claim of slow speeds... BUT still poor service.

Maybe it's time for a "Class Action" law suit to bring their advertised speeds into reality. For adverised speeds of 1000/200, many times, speeds will have to EXCEED 1000/200 to AVERAGE 1000/200 when, according to their policy (and support answers) speeds will vary between 650-700/100-150 in a"normal"session..

Jo
  3rd of Sep, 2008

It is unbelievable. Over $80.00 per month and still limited.

El
  25th of Oct, 2008

We are not able to get DSL where we live and chose Hughes as our wireless provider. Our wireless connection is down on an average of 60% every day - NO service. The amount of time the service is down has increased with each passing month. We have talked with their customer service in India on three separate occasions, including supervisors and had a "tech guy" come to the house to replace part of the satellite - all to no avail. Our option now is a several hundred dollar "upgrade" with no guarantees for better service or a several hundred dollar bail out fee to get out of our contract. Hughes needs to be held responsible for false advertisement.

Ca
  12th of Nov, 2008

I THOUGHT DIAL UP WAS SO SLOW, BUT YOUR SERVICE HAS BEEN WORSE.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS, BUT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CONTACT
YOU WITHOUT ANY LUCK.
WE ARE PLANNING ON MOVING INTO AN AREA WITH CABLE SERVICE AND BELIEVE
ME I WILL CANCEL YOUR SERVICE.
CABLE IS MUCH CHEAPER AND IT IS SO MUCH FASTER.

Lm
  14th of Nov, 2008

Don't fall for it! You will not get better service by buying the more expensive plan or at least I didn't. I upgraded from Home plan to ProPlus and still don't get even what I should get with the Home Plan. Very Frustrated but I am in the country and the only option is dial up. This is NO better than dial up except it leaves my phone line free. I laugh, cry then get mad when I see the TV ad about how fast the service is. What A JOKE!!!

Ma
  17th of Aug, 2009

I am having the same problem. I have paid them their 75.00 per month for AWFUL service...yet, I have to move as there is NO WORK around here. They said they will charge my card 400.00. WHAT can I do?????

Ba
  26th of May, 2010

I agree 100% with L Miller I also was not getting what I thought I should so I upgradded not just one level but two and I could not tell the least bit of differance.I can watch two things on utube and it says iv downloaded my lemit.And I also watch Tv adds, about 50 times faster than dial up, and think what a fool I was.lol I Bit like a hungery gater.lol