Hughesnet / double billing

1 644 Dry Fork Rd.Del Rio, TN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 423-487-0337

I have been a customer of DirecWay/Hughes Net since they were DirecWay and then changed to Hughes Net. I originally had the Pro plan for a residence. We called to find out if there was a faster speed/better plan and after discussing our requirements and situation with the customer service representative and a technician, we were told the Small Business Plan would suit our needs. We agreed to UPGRADE our plan from the Pro to Small Business. Installation was carried out by a local installer.

After a couple months of billing, I had noticed that the amount seemed to be much higher than was originally agreed upon and thought it might be residual equipment charges still left to pay. I had paid for the installation and equipment upfront on my credit card. I finally called today to find out why my bill still continues to be so high... after looking at my account, they discovered that I had been paying for both plans simultaneously.

Their discussion? I should have called DirecWay to inform them that I wanted to cancel the Pro plan and now had the Business Plan. My response... um, I WAS talking to DirecWay and that is something that should have been done internally!

The rub of this is a $70/month overcharge for THEIR inability to talk between departments... and equates to approximately $840.00 that I should NOT have been paying. The supervisor's solution? We'll credit you for 2 months! Nice, tidy $700 profit for DirecWay which they refuse to reimburse! The fact that they put it on the CUSTOMER to call and cancel one plan (they must not have computers!) when in any other company that would be handled by the COMPANY makes me think I've been scammed.

You can bet I'll be looking for another internet provider in our area in the next month I have left on the plan. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can go about getting this resolved, would be much appreciated. The supervisor of billing I talked to said she was the highest in the billing department and would not give me the name of her supervisor to talk to.

Comments

• Li
      15th of Mar, 2011

I had HughesNet for a year, and it was the biggest waste of money I ever got scammed into. The service went out whenever it rained - even a very light drizzle would knock me offline for hours! It was ridiculously slow when it DID work, and the VOIP phone service I had at the time had a delay of a full two or three seconds with my $90/month "lightning-fast" internet. The lag was so bad that my father got into the habit of saying "over" after every sentence so I'd know when he was finished talking and wouldn't interrupt while the delay had me thinking he wasn't going to say anything else. When the contract was up, I canceled my service, and HughesNet continued to charge me for service I didn't even have anymore - for three months straight! Every month, I would call and complain, they'd "apologize for the mistake", and promise to refund my money. By the end of the third month, I canceled my credit card, filed a formal complaint with my bank, and threatened legal action if HughesNet didn't refund every cent of the $270 they tried to screw me out of. It took two more months for them to finally comply, and to add insult to injury, shortly after I canceled my credit card, I received a very indignant phone call from a rude HughesNet billing guy who informed me that my monthly auto-payment hadn't gone through and if I didn't pay right then and there, MY SERVICE WOULD BE DISCONNECTED. When I told him I'd canceled my credit card, he reamed me for dodging my responsibilities and told me if I didn't want to pay my bills, I shouldn't have gotten the service in the first place. He laughed when he said this, and his tone was so annoyingly smug that I was not particularly polite when I told him I hadn't had service with HughesNet for three months and had canceled my card to stop the continued unauthorized charges.

Bottom line: the customer service is rude and unhelpful, the internet service itself is below average at best, and the company is nothing but a black hole of greed and incompetence. Stay as far away as humanly possible - even dial-up is better than what you'll get from this sorry bunch of con artists.