Hughesnet / hughes.net email is in the dark ages!

I had my email under Direcway for 4 years until somebody, without my consent and without amending my service contract, switched it to "Hughes.net." Now I cannot relay email, nor can I use another ISP to receive email. Under Direcway, I could use a local ISP which was on all of my stationary and internet accounts. This ISP had an excellent Spam and virus control which I could set the sensitivity and delete the spam myself. Now, I have no idea if there is any spam or virus control with Hughes.net because they have no settings for it. In my Eudora account which defaults to a "dominant" personality, Hughes.net will not allow the relay. In addition, they claim that some of my recipient's email addresses, one of which is my nephew, may have been forged and refuse to deliver the mail! I have tried to talk with techs from India, who even a Hindi couldn't understand, and he was hopeless. It is a mess and a breach of the original contract that I had with Direcway! I am prepared to set up a blog to fight these incompetents. If you want to help, pleas email me - although you may get a message that my address has been "forged."

Va

Comments

• Ry
      18th of Dec, 2007

I have had hughes net for almost a year now. NEVER ONCE had the speeds I was told i would have. Had to call tech support dozens of times just to let them reset my modem. Cant understand one word their India based tech support says. Luckily verizon dsl has entered my area and will be installed at my house before the new year! Once my dsl is set up i plan on filming myself destroy their satalite and mail it to them!

20th of Dec, 2007

Yay! Now in addition to unintelligible tech support reps from India, you can talk to unintelligible tech support reps in the Philippines, Mexico, and if you're really *really* lucky, the US or Canada.

14th of Jan, 2008

Well, I finally got out of my contract with Hughes. What a freaking rip off! I hate hughes and everything they stand for. I am back on dial up now, but oddly it's faster than the crap they are selling! I have posted before, but hopefully everyone out there will see exactly what these suckers do and avoid the hassle, bad service and slow connection speeds. (the last month I was with hughes I was connecting at 200 bytes per second (note: that is 1/5 of a kb)) I couldn't even connect to google! Hughes S*CKS!

• Ke
      6th of Feb, 2008

I just joined and had a Satalite system put in my front yard and it was suposed to be faster then dialup but it is not only slower but many erors come up and for their rebate of $100.00 I can not print their form for nothing.Even adobe reader won't come in for me after downloading. Its been only three days and I noticed that even their e-mail service gets cut off and tell me that the e-mail server did not come in and I wait just as long if not longer for my e-mail. I am going to do as you guys are doing and tell them that I am cancelling but do they take their Satalite system dish back or do I own this crap in my front yard.Do they come back and get it or what? I'm bailing out before its to late. They have my credit card number.I think that I ma even change my debit card so they can't get the money out.Is that a good Idea or what? Thanks. Your complaints really helped me. Kerry

• Da
      21st of Feb, 2008

I think the people who state that it's the consumers fault due to lack of research, for the awful internet experience hughesnet provides is ridiculous. The 'fap' is such an important aspect of their service that they should spell it out in completely clear terms in bold print on the ads. The fact that they don't do this but hide it in the terms is proof that they must hide this or probably go out of business.

I count my decision to install hughesnet one of my worst mistakes.

3rd of Mar, 2008

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of New Horizon/Hughes.net HSI??? in the south part of IL??? Friend has been talking about getting them for HSI service??? Is it local calling or does it matter??? Was told they could get local phone service off the dish also??? Post any replies asap please.

3rd of Mar, 2008

To Sara Sadness:
    Stay away from any service associated with Hughes. You WILL be very sorry. They are nothing but ripoff artists.

• St
      12th of Mar, 2008

If anyone ever goes for class action - count me in. This company sucks, I've never been treated so badly as a customer or got such a bad service for good money. FAP is without doubt a hidden bug that is not disclosed or discussed. For the first year service wasn't as good as expected but frankly borderline acceptable. Now it sucks HUGE as more subscribers are added and FAP is enforced. This is purely a failure in the companies ability to manage itself and balance supply with demand.

I am at the end of my tether and this makes the $5K to run cable to my house start to look OK, particularly as it means the robbing bast#@$s dont get anything else from me. I'm telling anyone who will listen to avoid this product and these idiots who cant manage their business properly.

As well as class action, tell friends and family, co-workers, in fact anyone who will listen NEVER to make the same mistake as us.

19th of Mar, 2008

The comment by others have said what I wanted to say. I wish I had done the due dilligence and searched for complaints before making the Hugh(es) mistake. Pathetic service, customer service is non-existent. The whole thing is disgusting!

24th of Mar, 2008

I to am so mad at these people... I have had this service since nov. of this year. I have been angry ever since. first when i kelpt getting tcp notices instead of my webs that i was trying to open, i called hughes net, they only made me madder. The guy that i couldnt understand, tryed to act like it was my doing, the reason i couldnt get any sites to open. he just kelpt sayin mam this and mam that... then i moved a couple miles down the road, and had to pay an additional 200.00 moving fee. thats bull. how can you use so many kb when you cant download anything? i am normally a quite person, so i dont know what to do about this.. anyone that wants to let me in on what to do, please email me.. thank you. Donna in Arkansas.

• Ba
      27th of Mar, 2008

I have been with hughes since 2001 and leaving them next week. I can't wait!! $90 a month and I get FAP'd for downloading the patch for office 2003 to be able to open office 2007 documents and worldship download for Vista within one day. This is how they treat their customers!! I will be gone and good riddens. My advice if you are thinking about getting hughes... DON't!

1st of Apr, 2008

Stop blocking my Email from petroland.com

2nd of Apr, 2008

Why dont we all stand togetther and try an make them aware of this problem. I have been a customer for 4 years and im in the same boat. Its unfair we are being given resrictions that other people are not.

8th of Apr, 2008

After our installation my wife asked me what I did to her computer to make it so slow. I have track pass with raceview and it will not work with Hughes. I am agast like everyone else. I am trying to contact the FCC, congressman, lawyers, customers etc. to instigate a class action suit against this corporation. I sure wish I would have seen this site before I enrolled. I am really stuck! I did not know anything about FAP. This coporation out and out lies. The commercials are such BULL!!!

• Ge
      19th of Apr, 2008

Hughes net is the biggest rip off on the net. Not only do they lie, and the service is crappy, but they won't let you unsubscribe without a hassel. In my case I had to sign for 12 months and payment HAD to be made by credit card. Now that my 12 months are up, they extended me to 15 months and shortly, they say, it will be 24 months. My credit card company has some kind of agreement with them and will not stop payment until Hughesnet notifies them. Is this criminal or what? It's obviouse that they are loosing so many customers that they are grasping at straws to hold on. This past year has resulted is the most lousey service imaginable. My slow dial up at 28k was much better, more reliable, and MUCH cheaper. Hughes net will not exist much longer, but they will only change their name and do it again.

• Ha
      23rd of Apr, 2008

I can understand how all you guys are mad and it will stay that way. Every ISP has a complaint if not majority of them do. However, I've noticed that these people whine over something silly like e-mail problem and internet speeds. First of all and foremost, I have to say this. Yes, Hughes Net satellite is not the best. However, if you're living in the boon docks. Why? You wanted to move away from the city to live in wooded area or in a remote location where King Kong or Tarzan would be found and you complain about the satellite service. Hello! Move! Stop whining and complaining about slow speed or terrible internet service. For those who say that this service is slower than dial up should go to dial up and see for themselves because they obviously haven't provided the kps or mbs stats. Some of you guys are complaining because you live far away from the city to avoid traffic and congestion. WELL DUH! Hello!!! Learn to live with people for pete's sake! MOVE! Dont' contradict yourselves thinking you live away from people yet you need to connect to people through internet or e-mail. If anybody has business also and complain they lost a lot of money then try buying a freaking T1 connection at speakeasy.com. It only cost $359 a month but you will get the best consistent speed ever!
    Stop living in the boon docks and making babies within the family! Try living in the real world. If technology changes move with that technology don't contradict. Btw, I'm a Verizon Fios lover and I'm very happy because I learned to live with technology and not contradict myself. Also, don't give me this excuse that you can't afford to move because if you can afford an expensive satellite service than you can save up and move. Btw, I get over 5, o00 kbps down and over 1800 up. Wow, and I'm happy! And guess what? I'm only paying $39.99 for Fios!! Woo Hoo! So instead of whining and hoping that this board will serve as an attention that's been up more than 2 years with nowhere to stop Hughes Net. Try moving..

• De
      26th of Apr, 2008

I'm trying to get my password so I can check my email.

27th of Apr, 2008

I totally agree with all the other complaints: I live on top of a mountain and hughes.net is my only choice, DSL is not available here.
    I hate hughes.net, and when my contract is over I'll switch to wild blue.
    If there is a class action suit, I would be glad to participate.

• Hk
      27th of Apr, 2008

When I had direcway we had no problems and excellent service. Then without warning or choice after spending $1500.00 for installation and two years later we got Hughes.net the demons from hell. If you have technical problems better take up second language such as Indian (India) as this company has outsourced its technical help. This is why my wife and I refuse to buy Dell Computers again as we had problems with them and India as well. Everytime we needed technical assistance we were switched to India and could not understand what the people were saying, nor did they understand us, and when we finally got someone who could understand our language they did not know what they were doing. Right now we are stuck with Hughes since we are in the country but I am looking to get away from this company and I am warning all my friends and neighbors not to get hooked up with Hughes. They recently supposed to have upgraded email, NOW I cannot get my email. If you are looking for satellite service I highly suggest you stay away from HUGHES!!!

• Me
      28th of Apr, 2008

We, too, are held hostage to Hughes.net. It is about the only service available due to our location. I can't believe anyone would choose to stay with this service. We bought a new Mac and was able to use the email set up within it for a few months. Then without warning, we could no longer send email through that service. We reach India for support and speak with a "Bob" or "Bill" or "Randy" (I wonder what their given name really is) and we're told that the email service through Hughes is offered for free and they are not obligated to fix it if it doesn't work! Now, since the upgrade scheduled for 4/26, we've been unable to receive, send or even view any old emails! The product sucks and the service sucks.