Hughesnet / hughes.net email is in the dark ages!

I had my email under Direcway for 4 years until somebody, without my consent and without amending my service contract, switched it to "Hughes.net." Now I cannot relay email, nor can I use another ISP to receive email. Under Direcway, I could use a local ISP which was on all of my stationary and internet accounts. This ISP had an excellent Spam and virus control which I could set the sensitivity and delete the spam myself. Now, I have no idea if there is any spam or virus control with Hughes.net because they have no settings for it. In my Eudora account which defaults to a "dominant" personality, Hughes.net will not allow the relay. In addition, they claim that some of my recipient's email addresses, one of which is my nephew, may have been forged and refuse to deliver the mail! I have tried to talk with techs from India, who even a Hindi couldn't understand, and he was hopeless. It is a mess and a breach of the original contract that I had with Direcway! I am prepared to set up a blog to fight these incompetents. If you want to help, pleas email me - although you may get a message that my address has been "forged."

Va

Comments

• Pa
      9th of Sep, 2007

I paid big money for a great internet connection.well it was so so at the beginning, but not as good as the slowest cable internet. I called and complained and they never came till the warranty was almost up. They said the last guy did a bad job and they would fix it. Well it got a little better but not better than dial up. I called a couple weeks later to ask them to fix it right and they said that my warranty was up and it would cost $125 for them to come out to look at it. I'm out $600 for the stupid worthless dish and equipment. I'm not a rich man and i feel really scammed. I bet hughes.net isn't even a different company from direcway. They probably just changed their name cause of having a bad reputation.

10th of Sep, 2007

Yep, HughesNet is horrible. I have no choice for internet except dialup and hughes. You think your horror stories are bad, try hooking it up to a wireless LAN so you can use 3 computers on the same internet connection. If you want to see slow speeds and a quick way to hit the Fair Access limit. If one computer hits a site like UTube, the rest of the people on their computers may as well close their internet connections. Everyone else's connection basically stops.

Also, don't even try to play online games with it. Unless you can play with a lag in the 3-4k range. HughesNet is worthless unless you are the occassional web user who just checks email (with no attachments) and browses a couple of web pages here and there.

The service, and support is the worst in the business. Not worth the money or expense.

10th of Sep, 2007

Agreed. I have been a DirecWay/ Hughes Net user for over 2 years. For those here who have stated that the FAP was made clear- you are dead wrong. Like many others, I too did not find out about the FAP until the day after my installation. The link on the website was very small and very inconspicuous. No matter, because I never violated it. Then I got turned on to Internet radio. Since starting to listen to a simple audio stream, I am violating the FAP continuously, and being left dead in the water for 24 hours. Thanks a pant load Hughes. No relief for those of us in rural areas. I highly support a class action against these bums. I want real access. Don't tell me you can't afford circuits and routers at your NOC when I am shelling out $60.00 per month, and Verizon can offer DSL for $19.99.

• Vo
      18th of Sep, 2007

If you guys really feel the pinch, exchange information, find a lawyer and file a class action lawsuit, thats how you punish a company for incompetence. Trust me, I know, I'm studying law.

20th of Sep, 2007

Thanks so much to everyone sharing your experiences re: HughesNet. I looked up prices and specials this morning on their web site and decided to call and order their service. I was told I could cancel with no charge to my account if I did it before my install date and was given the fees of what it would cost after the fact. That was early this morning and I had a bad feeling all day about the decission I had made and decided to check out comments about them and came across this site with all this helpful information. I called and cancelled my order and immediately felt better. Thanks again for putting the information out there! They may be a big company, but it looks like the number of unhappy customers far out weight their size. Good luck to all of you!

1st of Oct, 2007

I have been a hughesnet customer for about 9 months. As like many of you, I feel I have been ripped off. Anyone deciding to use hughesnet should strongly decide not to. In my opinion their advertising is very misleading. They don't support https protocols, and their download speeds oftentimes have been consistently at 100-200 kbps during daytime hours. Many times I had downloaded mp3 files and the download speed crawled to 4kbps (even though I was not under FAP). I talked to tech support about this and got nowhere. The end result from TS was that the system was under heavy use at the time.

When a company advertises 750 kbps sustained download that is what they should deliver. The directway ad on TV says it all, when the redhead says "YOUR WELCOME" at the end.

I decided to use hughesnet because our family lives in an isolated area where many options don't exist. This company has made our internet experience worse than dailup in terms of actual quality browsing, even when we weren't subject to the FAP policy.

I strongly suggest many of us to somehow start or join a class action lawsuit against hughesnet / dway. We deserve what service we think that we are paying for. Hughesnet deserves a class action lawsuit. I think we are entitled to a complete refund of all expenses incurred. This includes a total refund of equipment cost, monthly service fees, and entitlements for pain and suffering, because this customer has inflicted much pain on us "The Consumers".

7th of Oct, 2007

Just Say No to Hughes NET

7th of Oct, 2007

What I say about HughesNET, pull a Nancy Regan and Just Say NO!!!

Worse thing I ever done and most expensive. I have only had this system since April which I don't like but have been living with. I called in on 9-28-2007 because I wanted to pay off the equipment financing. I took a forever for the agent to understand what I wanted to do. The agent was like you have to take care of the balance due first. Well heck I had just paid it a couple weeks ago and next payment was not due till 10-18-2007. So I just paid it the $106.00 which is my normal bill with there $5 paper statement fee. Then she was like ok you owe $400.00 on your system. I was like ok thats fine. She took my $400.00 payment. Two-three days later I get a bill for $800.00. I with two $400.00 equipment payment line items. So I go online and look and see, shows my credit card payment posted and a remainder blance of $400.00. So I didn't thank much of it and emailed [email protected] and requested somone e-mail me back with a resolution. Only reply I got was the auto-generated one. After a week I went back to my account online. same deal. So I decided to call. The young philipino was like no sir those charges are valid. We dont reverse vaild charges. Could not make her understand what i was saying. Last time I checked there was only wane pimp size dish on my house. She is like no sir you have two systems. I just hung up and thought I would trie it again the next day. Lord same deal, it would be nice if they would stop reading scripts and listen. After the "No Sir I can't help you" I asked for a manager. Well got a manager and all of a sudden the system went down for mantainace. I explained the entire thing to her and she was like sir I cant help you. Then I ased is the scheduled maintance you have an estimated time frame it will be done. No sir we dont know. So I just hung up went online I could look at my account, not sure why she couldn't. So I tried another e-mail. I am being to wonder if I am ever going to get this fixed. I get a letter that DSL is going to be in my area soon from AT&T. You better bet I'll be paying that $300.00 early contract fee. Same speed not bandwidth limit and $19.95 no contract. I am going to post this on as many boards as I can find, and I hope I hit my bandwidth limit. My tech support experiance has just been long and drawn out. One tech told me to unplug my modem for 10 days. I just dont call anymore. I hate it when you hit the wrong button or 0 there IVR says EXCUSE ME?. Now thats rude.

10th of Oct, 2007

Maybe if all the unhappy customers start contacting Hughes Executive Customer Care and bombarding them with e-mails and calls about their ridiculous FAP and their horrible customer service something will change. I had to contact the BBB to finally get them to contact me and be able to speak to someone who speaks english as a first language. (301)428-5500 OR: [email protected]

16th of Oct, 2007

Hughes.net is the WORST! It's a scam! I have never been so frustrated with a company in my entire life. I'm locked into a 24 month contract after being told I could cancel anytime. I was just informed my credit card would be charged $700 if I cancelled before my contract is up. I've spent around 12 hrs on phone calls trying to fix the VERY slow up/down speeds - nobody can fix the problem and the phone calls to tech support just waist my time. Hughes.net makes me want to cry - I've been had. I work from home and can't even do my work - it's horrible. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH HUGHES.NET!!! Dial-up is faster.

• Fo
      18th of Oct, 2007

Why do they do this we've had Hughes.net for a few years and we got it when it was direct way we can't get cable or dsl so our only option was Hughes.net. And it coasted us $600 to install then 59.99 a month the the FAP thing and still poor service. And also we ordered it in the end of may and in late august people finally came out to my house to set it up. So after many way past due dates they finally set it up. But then Hughes.net took over direct way and we've had poor service only 200 mb in 24 hours and on the degraded service I monitored that it was less then a kilobyte of speed during download.

DO NOT BUY HUGHES NET!

22nd of Oct, 2007

Wild Blue says it's unavailable in my area. Does anyone know of any other solutions, particularly that support online gaming?

• Ge
      23rd of Oct, 2007

Hughes Net is the worst. They ripped me off big time. Their speeds was slower than dial up,customer service was rude and when I tried to cancel things got ugly. They took 700.00 dollars out of my account. I am disabled and that hit me hard. I do not know what to do.

• St
      30th of Oct, 2007

My two year commitment final ran out. Yesterday I got my Verizon USB modem, and the download speed is between 800 and 1.0 kps. Gonna rip that ant. off the roof and burn it.

• Al
      2nd of Nov, 2007

I have been using Direcway, now Hughesnet for five years. I did so because I have AOL and AOL's search engine indicates that there is no broadband connection available in my area, which turned out not to be true. A few days ago I stopped by Verizon to change my cell phone. I noticed that they had a PC card on display that was for Internet connection. I bought it. I recommend it to anyone interested in fast Internet. It is at least three times faster than Hughesnet. You do not have to pay for dish installation. You do not have to put up with mediocre service and long hours on the phone as I have experienced with Hughesnet. You simply plug it into your computer and you are on the air.

• Cy
      11th of Nov, 2007

I do agree that hughesnet is a joke, I plan on getting dsl when it finally comes to the area (they said maybe 1 more month). This is the strange thing though, the Fap policy is in place so that we cannot download too much so that others can download too, but I called customer support not long ago and the guy told me if I wanted to download large files just do it between the hours of 3am and 6 am? Now I just don't understand how it can be limited for the rest of the day and unlimited for these hours? If you can understand what I am trying to say here(not a good writer, sorry). I just can't figure it out.

Basicly this is what hughesnet is, you can have our highspeed internet service(somewhat faster than dial up) but, you can't do anything that you would normally be able to do with any other highspeed service, but, we will make you pay twice as much!
    Anyway I can't wait to drop these turkey's. I hope someone sues them, I will help!

• Kg
      16th of Nov, 2007

Set up installation-they came and installed-OVER charged my credit card-filed a complaint with my bank- placed a charge back to them-service was shut off-could never get it restored-they placed it on my credit report-so all in all The customer service only makes a good Saturday night live skit-would not know if speeds were up to par- BECAUSE I NEVER GOT TO USE SERVICE!!! It was the worst experience I have ever had someone should investigate these miscreants.

• Du
      12th of Dec, 2007

I would for one like to organize a petition for boycott of Hughesnet products if not a full class action lawsuit against them for false advertising and ripping people off. All those that are interested e-mail me at [email protected]

• Ri
      15th of Dec, 2007

Hughes net sucks big time I have been unable to use the internet for 5 days now because of their FAP whic is a joke. I am not paying my bill anymore I would like to sue them. I upgraded to the 7000s they srewed me into thinking I would be able to download more..what a lie that was!!

• Li
      17th of Dec, 2007

I totally understand what all of you are saying, I have tried to talk to the foreign ### and tried chatting with the agents online and they dont do anything except to try and blame me for downloading movies or big files, which since my husband and I figured out that we are being treated like little kids being put on restriction from using the internet we can only get on the computer for just a few min. At a time, we also have 4 kids and 3 of them old enough to use the computer so we have to save time for them to use it for a couple of minutes. Which is ###. when we signed up to hughes we had just moved and dsl wasn't available but where we moved from which was only like 2 miles away we had dsl so it really sucked for us especially now that we have this ### service I think we have 7 more months of this ###. I honestly would rather be without internet than deal with this service. 10 to 12 days out of the month we dont have it anyway and when we do we are so stressed out worrying if we have exceeded the fap. So we dont really get to do what we want when we do get online. So yes when our contract is up this ### service is out of here I totally wanted to go outside and beat the ### out of the satellite, and I am the quiet one between me and my husband, but he does plan to get a hold of the foreign ### and see if he can get anything done. Thanks for listening ( by the way am on RESTRICTION once again.