Hughesnet / bad service and money issues!

We signed up with Hughes Net because we had no other choice for internet besides dial up. It advertises to be very fast and they had a promotion of paying the $400 up front charges monthly with a 2 year contract. We had it two days and it was slower than dial up and they took $496.97 out of my checking account since they had my debit card number causing numerous NSF fees on my bank account. So I was out over $600 to which I couldn't spare. I called and also my husband. We talked to 6 different departments for over 3 hours total and only got the run around. We told them we wanted to cancel that we were very unhappy. They are letting us ship back the unit but only are willing to refund us $299. That $199 is installation charges are not refundable (we are not happy with the way the dish was installed also) and they can't do anything about the NSF charges because it's not their policy. I think the whole company is a big rip off. They only allow very minimum time on the computer and then they slow your connection down to a crawl for 24 hours, refuse to credit back our account when we chose to do the zero down option, and will only refund half our money for canceling before the allowed 30 day cancellation period. They say satisfaction guaranteed, HA! That's a joke! I wish I had done a search on this company before I signed up with them, then I would have seen the millions of complaints. I don't see how they stay in business. I HATE THIS COMPANY!

Comments

• Da
      23rd of Nov, 2007

A bunch of crooks is the only way I can describe them

• Pe
      30th of Mar, 2008

I to am not anywhere near satisfied with hughes.net..I was told to up grade and my band space would be increased...$75 a month and I see no change... I am told I exceed the allowed band width, and to disconnect my motom for eight hours and my speed will come back(some times it does sometimes it doesn't) ..The last week or two my even staying online is not a sure thing... If you are downloading or watching streaming videos etc and they drop your connection, and you have to start downloading all over again, you don't get any credit for redoing the download it all counts agaist your alotted bandwidth ..My time is up with hughes.net and I think I will go back to dial up, it can't be any worse, and a lot cheeper .. As for the rebate, I haven't seen it yet 18 months into the contract(could show up any minute now) ... BEWARE, BE WARNED, BE SMART, DON'T ... I STRONGLY SAY ...DON'T BE A FOOL AND GET HUGHES.NET.. OR YOU WILL BE SO SORRY!!!

• Ha
      2nd of May, 2008

I heard what you guys said and honestly, you guys are full of doo doo. How can you say you lost lot's of money with business? You can't be making that much money to afford to lose that much business. If you have, you would've bought a T1 connection that is faster, reliable and more consistent at speakeasy.com. Go check it out. Pay for the damn install and pay $359 a month why don't you? If you're losing that much money and making so much money why not get a T1? That is what I'm talking about. You guys contradict and are hypocrite. I am a Verizon Fios customer and I love it every chance. My point in arguing with you guys because I happened to stumble this page and found you guys complaining which I have a friend who installs Direct T.V. and knows a friend who installs Fios. They said the same thing, why don't you guys just live in the city area or suburbs instead of in the country side? If you already into the contract deal. There is always a way to get out of it. Cancel your damn service. Why keep complaining? I still see the same people complaining on this damn board and yet they're still Hughes Net customers? Wow, seriously. Don't give me this excuse that they're the only choice you have. Nobody put a gun to your head and say you have no choice? This is America. Learn to make the right choices. If this is freaking slow than dial up. Then go to dial up. Prove that it's slower than satellite. Stop eating hays and raising corn fields. Learn to move with the technology. If you are not happy with the crappy service. You have a choice to not get any internet service. All these complaints don't serve any justice because it's been up since 2006. If you feel that you've been ripped off, then why sign the contract? Why go with the contract? Don't give me this crap you didn't know what you're getting into when the complaints are on-line and you had dial up before this service. Oh and I love the complaints about India, it's not like you rednecks who live in the boonies are pure Americans. How bout learning not to eat pork and beans and farting in a can all day and speak real American English for pete's sake! Move!!! If you know it's expensive to get this service then save your money and move and get VERIZON FIOS OR COMCAST! Stop making babies within families and living in remote location where King Kong and Tarzan can be found. Learn to associate with people because God forbid this board serves as your communication. Oh and last but not least. Who the hell would use an ISP e-mail provider? I've always use Google's G-mail, yahoo, msn or hotmail. They're free and way better! You can always use Outlook with some of them.

17th of Aug, 2008

We've been with out Internet for over 1 month now. We were told by their tech we needed a new modem! We signed up with Hughes for the 2 yr rip off period...we depend on the internet for retirement income. We can't afford the $300.00 cancellation fee...who do we complain to next? Physically sick from this ordeal...

• So
      28th of Apr, 2010

Christine Mann, who are you to tell people where to live? Nobody knows until they've agreed to the contract that they don't deliver the service they advertise, and HUGHESNET DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. They focus all their resources on advertising to get new customers, rather than providing decent service. They count on people like me who put up with it for years before finally saying NO MORE!

I don't have a choice of using cable or DSL unless I want to pay for cable to be brought a mile down the road (no idea how far I am from fiber optic).

We don't live so far out of the city as you might believe, but it is considered a rural area. Plenty of people live near me, but there is not enough density to support cable or DSL. Hughesnet was the only possibility for a faster connection than dialup. I bought in to their claim and I paid the price.

We paid an installer over $700 to set up a wireless modem and install hughesnet. (Free installation only covers setting up the dish.) Then we paid $80 a month for 2 years as part of the contract. Because we don't have a lot of time to spend on the phone complaining to their customer service reps in the Phillipines (who lectured me that I should have called sooner and more often), we take the crappy service, intermittent connections, weak connections, outages, etc. and occasionally look for possible fixes. I did not know until it finally quit working altogether that THEY HAVE RECORDS from the beginning of our account that show we have NEVER had a good connection. So, $2, 280 for the first 2 years, plus $60 a month for another 6 months... I could probably have used that money for something else.

I should have just called Amex and had the charges reversed, it would have been much easier than calling their service line. It took over an hour on the phone just to cancel my service. The first person I spoke with said they had to transfer me to someone who could do a cancellation, then gave me a code and transferred me to a line for global services or something. That person had no idea how I got to their queue and couldn't get me back. I called back and went through the same steps, this time a woman offered me a 6 week credit and a service tech to re-aim at no charge if I would consider keeping the service, but then later told me they would bill me $180 for the tech.

Finally I just cancelled the service, it's not worth it. It was at least twice as fast as dialup (when it worked), but at four times the price.

If you have hughesnet and don't have great service, if you get error messages and can't load pages, ITS PROBABLY NOT YOUR COMPUTER, and its not the weather, you don't need to bump up to their higher priced service. YOU NEED TO CALL REGULARLY TO COMPLAIN (expect an hour on the phone every time) and put up with their reps treating you like an idiot, wasting your time, PAY $130 - $180 for someone to re-aim your dish, or just give up and move to the suburbs.

Christine Mann, the reason I'm wasting my time complaining here is because I feel like VENTING! Its very common for people to want to vent when they have to deal with crappy service and reps who offer a resolution but when you accept it they yank it back! Also, I hope someone will read this BEFORE signing a contract with hughesnet, and maybe they will find something better.

• So
      14th of Jul, 2010

yep i agree, complete rip off. I said no to the stupid contract and the guy said ok, and said i could still sign up. I never got my rebate, people there dont listen and just reply... I understand mam... wtf tell me something usefull...they repeat, well you signed the contract. I keept telling them the paper i signed says i agree to what was discussed during the commisioning process... not all the crap you have hidden in your website that i can only acces when i log into my account. they refused me my rebate because the installer came out a day late when the offer was no longer going, even though i orderd it and was promised it. after i called to cancell because of the horrible service, (was never able to use it ever!) I spent the first month, working with them because of all the excuses they gave me of why it didnt work, then after countless hours on the phone a month later im told abot the fair access policy that according to them i should of known, of I want to know how, through my chrystal ball. I wont know unless you tell me or have some where on your website.. I decided to cancell and was told i was on a contract, and i was told the recording was going to be reviewed, and what a surprise they dont have access to the recording. Know im stuck with a four hundred dollar bill. thank good i lost my debit card and closed the account other wise they would have taken the money out... and know their excuse for refusing my rebate is because my account is closed.. well i say well you owe me money and now you say you dont because the account is closed well thanks hughes net for the horrible service

23rd of Jan, 2011

I have been waiting for my rebate now for 3 months they hurry and take their money out of my account hell all i want is my measly 100.00 rebate and you dont have any choices when you live in a rural area thats why they charge so much because they no they can get it this service sucks i dont care what anyone says.

• Kr
      2nd of Mar, 2011

Hughesnet is a disaster and I'm shocked that they are still in business. I moved from Oregon to New Mexico. I didn't yet know about Windstream (which is relatively great). Hughesnet hires out...subcontracts out...private installation people. On 3...THREE separate occassions, these private contractors never showed up. I waited each time on my porch for about 5 hrs or so. Subsequently, for the first 10 days I was in New Mexico, I had to stay in a motel. I teach online and would have invariably lost my job, had I not stayed in a motel. So all told, Hughestnet cost me about 600 between motel and general expenses. ctually, it was more...probably around 850. On three different days, these imbeciles didn't show. The individual contractors that Hughes hires out are incredibly unreliable and incompetent. The [censor]s are TERRIBLE. DO NOT USE HUGHESNET. GO WITH WINDSTREAM. YOU WILL BE SORRY IF YOU USE HUGHESNET.

25th of Mar, 2011

HUGHESNET SUCKS AND LIE LIKE A CHEAP RUG. I CALLED AND TOLD THEM I NEEDED TO VIEW MY PROPERTY THRU REMOTE CAMERAS, THEY TOLD ME NO PROBLEM WITH UPLOAD AND DOWNLOADS AND THEY'RE SYSTEM WOULD BE ABLE TO DO THIS. IT DID NONE OF THIS. WHEN I CALLED AND TOLD THEM IT DOES NOT WORK THEY OFFERED 3 MONTHS OF FASTER SPEED AND THAT DIDN'T WORK. FINALLY WE WENT WITH VERIZON HOT SPOT AND IT WORKS GREAT! WHEN I CALLED AND ASKED FOR A CREDIT THEY TOLD ME IT WAS 295.00 TO CANCEL AFTER WE JUST SPENT 700 PLUS DOLLARS ON A SYSTEM THAT NEVER WORKED. THEY TOLD ME THEY NEED TO HEAR A TAPE BEFORE THEY GIVE ANY CREDITS EVEN THOUGH THEY SEE WE NEVER USED IT. THEYR'E CUSTOMER SERVICE REP AYISHA WAS JUST PLAIN NASTY AND FOUND GLEE IN THEYR'E ATTITUDE. TERRIBLE COMPANY

28th of Apr, 2011

In response the post by FS: Dont forget to mention that you were explained that there was a 30 day cancellation policy. You waited 7 months to cancel the acct and expected Hughes to waive the termination fee. I apologize if you feel like I was rude, but you were quite the [censored] yourself. You get my bees with honey that vinegar. I would have been more that happy to help you, but your attitude was ### so I decided not to. Next time you think about that when you call and speak to a customer service rep.

28th of Apr, 2011

That just shows Hughes your great personality and by the way ### I got the full credit. From a true customer rep. have a miserable life in your miserable job

• Yo
      17th of May, 2011

###? I didn't know your mom worked at HN too!

17th of May, 2011

I'll toward this conversation to hughesnet.

• Li
      9th of Jun, 2011

I am so glad I read this first Hughesnet was very evasive with my questions so I did a quick internet search actually while I was talking to the rep on the phone.

He offered me lease equipment or buy so I said lease he then said ok we guarantee parts on all leased equipment I said so you send me the parts he said no we send a service tech that is local to you I said who pays for that he said we pay for all the parts so do not worry about it...Talk about evasive I then said who pays the service tech again he said with the lease we will pay for all the parts that go wrong again I had to repeat myself who pays the L-A-B-O-U-R?????? I was told that is not covered by us you pay that so I said well how do I know your units are good everytime I have a problem I am going to be charged by the hour by a service tech that could go into hundreds every month...

He said Sir when you buy a car its as is right it works the same when you get the equipment... I said WHAT! Its leased equipment not owned... He said ok its like when you rent a car you need insurance right? I said it has nothing to do with renting a car if it was a car I would pay for insurance but I am leasing ok if I lease a car and it goes wrong its FREE To fix...

I ended up saying forget it

• Ro
      11th of Jul, 2011

We have had a horrible experience with HughesNet!!! We were told that this service was just like high speed internet and that we could cancel at anytime if the service wasnt right for us... that was NOT the case AT ALL!!! They lied about everything!!! We could not get the service to work at all after the 1st month.. i called and spoke to them about it i bet 100 times (none of the people i ever spoke to could speak good english) they constantly gave me the run around! They then told me that you only had so many mb or gb per month and that there was a fair access policy (which i never heard anything about when they signed us on) they said i was using my minutes but it was using my minutes tryin to get anything to load at all.. i couldnt even get the main home page to load.. then after a storm one time (i believe it was hit by lightning) the box stopped working at all, the lights wouldnt even come on... they said it couldnt have been lightning but when they installed it they put the satellite on the roof and DRILLED A WHOLE THROUGH THE SIDE OF OUR HOUSE (SIDING AND ALL) for the chords, it wasnt grounded at all... The only way they would send somebody to my house to look at the box was if I paid a very large fee for them to come out... after being sooo aggravated paying 80 bucks a month and not being able to use the internet at all I told them to just cancel it! They told me that if I canceled i had to pay $350 fee for breaking my contract... then i had to mail the equipment back or they were going to charge me another 300 bucks... I had to get on top of my house to disconnect a piece from the satellite and mail all the parts back, they wouldnt send anybody out to get the part off the satellite unless I paid yet another fee for them to come out and do it!!! It was a horrible horrible awful service that I wish I would have looked into a little further before I got it... It is the BIGGEST MISTAKE I've ever made to get their service and I WOULD ADVISE ANYBODY AND EVERYBODY TO STAY AWAY FROM HUGHES NET!!! AVOID ANY SERVICES WITH THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE NOTHING BUT MONEY HUNGRY ###S AND THEIR SERVICE IS A COMPLETE JOKE!!! EVERYBODY: PLEASE, IF YOU ARE CONCIDERING HUGHES NET DO YOUR RESEARCH BECAUSE IT IS A HORRIBLE SERVICE THAT SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN!!! THEY LIE ABOUT EVERYTHING TO GET YOU TO SIGN ON AND THEN ONCE YOU ARE SIGNED ON THEY TAKE YOU FOR EVERY PENNY THEY CAN GET OUT OF YOU!!! I REALLY THINK THAT IT IS UNFAIR WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO PEOPLE AND SOMETHING SHOULD BE DONE ABOUT IT!!! THEY REALLY NEED TO BE INVESTIGATED!!!

• Dr
      18th of Apr, 2013

I have now been on the phone with HughesNet for one hour and 3 minutes. going to post on any site that I can how horrible Hughes Net internet is and good luck getting and service. The last time I called in it took 4 calls (disconnected during transfer 3 of those times) with a combined time of 1 hour. They have actually said today that if response time to pull up an internet site is UNDER A MINUTE then it is acceptable. When I disagreed the young lady put me on hold and I have been that way for 17 minutes. She does not understand english really well and doesnt read her script well either but is better than the last time I called. They will not let me out of the contract even though to pull up Yahoo takes an average of 40 seconds, dont try to open an email. They just came back on the line to transfer me to advanced tech support and if am not disconnected it only took one hour and 8 minutes to do that!