Hughesnet / service

1 Bridgton, ME, United States Review updated:

Purchased new computer with operating system upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows7. Very, very slow service, worse than dial up. Have been on the phone with Hughes 4 times in 24 hours and have had to pay $5.00 for somw sort of token to address "exceeding download"problem. This is robbery as I am allowed one free token per month, and because of changes in op. system I have already used two tokens in 24 hours. Tokens are $5.00 apiece. I already pay a fortune for the monthly provider service and have for eight years. Have I any recourse?

Lw

Comments

• Ha
      21st of Oct, 2007
    Hughes Net - Limited usage!
    Hughes Net

I run a business from home and can't even send and receive information from my clients with out reaching their 350 mb limit in a 24 hour period. I pay $79.00 a month for slow as dial up service and have for years because that is all I can get.

• Su
      13th of Nov, 2007
    Hughes Net - Terrible company!
    www.hughesnet.com

Instead of everyone writing a complaint on this site just so Hughes net can delete it before the public has knowledge of their fraudulent claims as being high speed internet providers. We all need to go to www.ftc.com and complain and they can't delete a complaint made to them.

2nd of Dec, 2007

I get about HALF of dial-up speed when this POS is actually working at all. We called their "customer service" and were told that we should try using the service between 3 and 6 AM because of the high volume of internet traffic.

At no point were we advised of a limit on the internet usage but that would explain why the service works fine (by their standards) one minute and then pretty much QUITS for 24 hours or longer. I can't even just check my email or load a webpage. This is insane and these people should be paying US for the aggravation.

2nd of Dec, 2007

The URL is ftc.gov for those wishing to file a complaint. Please do so!

24th of Apr, 2008
    Hughes Net - Satellite Internet Service
    Hughes Net

Hughes Net has become one of the worst internet providers around; nothing is their fault the service they provide is perfectly normal. I wouldn’t suggest their services to a dog. Complaints, they don’t even have a complaint department, go figure, but you have to admit they don’t have to listen to your complaints. I’m surprised they’re still in business.

• Ka
      11th of Jul, 2008
    Hughes Net - No rebate
    www.hughesnet.com

Installed in November 2007 followed all instructions for rebate told to wait 608 weeks. No rebate still in July 2008. Every call is answered with wait 10 days. Finally an email that said wait 10 days. STILL no rebate. This is clearly a rip off.

• To
      22nd of Aug, 2008
    Hughes Net - service is horrible as is their product.
    Petaluma
    California
    Phone: 707-664-1288

I have had nothing but problems with this company. I bought the best equipment and ordered the business service so that I would have better down load and upload. They sold me a bill of goods. I would be better off on dial up.

• Ro
      27th of Sep, 2008

I live in the country and do not have access to cable or DSL service. I saw the Hughes Net service advertised and purchased it. That was one of the worse mistakes of my life! I purchased the plan that was suppose to give me 1.5 Mbytes download and 200 Kbytes upload. The service started out pretty good. I didn't get the download and upload speeds promised, but it was better than my previous dial-up. Over the period of a few months my service started getting worse, and today I barely get dial-up speeds. I contacted Hughes Net technical support and was subjected to the worse customer support department I've ever had to deal with. The technical support department is in India, and all the people follow scripts. They don't speak very good English, and they ignore (or probably don't understand) what you try to tell them. One of the other things I really hate about Hughes Net is the way they manage download volumes. I am suppose to get 425 Mbytes download per day, but some days I seem to exceed this volume without even turning on my computer! I have no doubt that Hughes Net has grossly over sold their service, and uses the very cheapest method to maintain and support their systems. Bottom line, DON'T GET HUGHES NET SERVICE, it is the worse service out there.

• De
      15th of Feb, 2009

We have had them for 5 years. We live in the country and therefore no other provider is availbe for us to use. I have decided to go back to dial up. I actually believe that dial up is much much faster than this so called high speed garbage hughes net has. They duped us into upgrading our service and charging us $400 with a so called rebate, which we never received, and then tell you that you only have limited use. Their customer service dept's are garbage as well. They always seem to make it your fault. Everytime you call in, it's a different problem. First they told us to check our usage, then speed tests, then they told us it must be our computer (which is brand new). They even went as far as telling us to turn off our anti virus stuff so that the computer runs faster. It's amazing. This is by far the worst service I have ever had. I too find it amazing that they are still in business on the garbage they sell people. After being placed on hold for over 20 min, I finally got them to give the address for their legal dept, which at first they told me they couldn't give out. I hope more people sue them like I am so that this end and more unsuspecting people dont fall into their trap of lies and deceit. Thanks for reading this, I hope it helps just one person not make the fatal mistake of getting them.

• Ri
      20th of Feb, 2009
    Hughes Net - Phony, phony, phony
    POB 20412
    Cheyenne
    Phone: 307-632-0668

DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH HUGHES NET. No US contact. Phillipines, India, everywhere but the US. Poor, poor, poor service. No way to complain about them. High speed? Dial up is faster. Charge for premium service, costly equipment, no refunds, and they don't care! Feel free to email

• Ri
      20th of Feb, 2009

Hughes sucks.

• We
      4th of Mar, 2009
    Hughes Net - Slow
    Tennessee

They advertise high speed internet is should not be allowed to advertise this because their internet is not much faster than dial up. They require the 2 year contract for a reason. I look foward to the day I have other intenet access other than dial up available. I find it better to drive to a local place that offers free WiFi and do my work.

• Jb
      18th of Mar, 2009

They are awful...and I would not recommend them to anyone.

JM
    Sturgis, MI

• To
      31st of May, 2009

Trying to get the rebate they promised is impossible. Just when you think you've jumped through all their on-line hoops to apply for the rebate, another roadblock pops up. When you complain to them, they say they have no control over the rebate process because it's handled by another company. It's nothing but a Catch-22 rip-off.

• Fr
      1st of Jun, 2009

I found out today that Hughes Net (India based customer service) could not extend the Fair Access Policy. This I do not understand since they decided to do maintenance on the 9000 series without notifying the customer. We were without internet for approximately 6 hours. I finally found out that it was not maintenance but that the 9000 series had multiple issues which they were working on.

I have made numerous calls to get to someone in charge that could possibly help with this. At this time I am unable to get the internet connection that I need for my business at my home.

Hughes Net will receive a bill from us for $2200.00 with proof of lost income.

If they had at least tried to help this could have been avoided. Sometimes reading off a script just causes more trouble. This company needs training in people skills.

Babs James

• Fr
      1st of Jun, 2009

HAPPENS ALL THE TIME

1st of Jul, 2009
    Hughes Net - crashed for using Google Earth
    Pinon Hills

Yep, I have the same complaint with my Hughes Net service, which, by the way, is $80+ a month!!! I wanted to use Google Earth last night and while that NEVER LOADED!!! thanks Hughes Net... today I am penelized for trying, and can not load/read my email... Hughes Net has also crashed at critical times, such as when my doctor needed to notify me by email.

• Sh
      7th of Jul, 2009
    Hughes Net - fair access threshold
    hughesnet
    Mississippi

they suck, $80.00 a month and always get red flagged for going over some stupid fair access threshold really not happy with this service at&t rules does not penalize you for downloads.

• Ha
      19th of Jul, 2009

It is only slow if your technician was lazy (very likely). Insist the dish be tuned to AT LEAST 98% signal reception or the blame lies with you.

• De
      1st of Aug, 2009
    Hughes Net - fair access policy
    Millington
    Maryland

I have been Hughes Net Customer for 2 1/2 years. I pay them $70.00 per month and they treat their customers like two year olds. They give you compared to Comcast cable the worst service, they take your money and you are at their mercy when they feel like sticking the FAP to you. About two weeks ago it was in effect and when it should have gone off it didn't I called and had to unplug the box for 1 hour for it to reset which made no sense.