Hughesnet / fap ripoff

1 AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 011 52 686 576-0601

They say that the FAP is for abusers. What they don't say is that since they have more customers than their equipment will support, it's ceaper to rip off people than to add sufficent equipment.

Our FAP problem is almost daily, and doesn't matter if the computer is on or not.
Lately, we might be on FAP for a few hours and then off, never knowing when we'll be effected.
It's supposed to be a 24 hour thing, but we get the "FAP yes" warning several times a day, as well as the "FAP no"

I would NOT recommend Hughesnet to anyone.

Comments

26th of Feb, 2009

There is a major flaw with the Fair Access Policy and HughesNet's documentation of this policy.

The policy states:

What do you recommend I do during the Download Period?
    We recommend that you automatically schedule your system updates during the Download Period. We also suggest the use of a download manager software application to assist in the scheduling of large file downloads.

25th of Mar, 2009

HughesNet has over 12 satellites in the sky (more than any other competitor). They are not selling more equipment than customers. If you want more download capacity subscribe to a higher package. This service has a specific application in rural areas where other forms of internet are not available. There is a free zone between 3:00-6:00 am to download whatever you need.

YOU STATED
    "What the major flaw is that Windows System updates do not work this way. They download at any time and only install the updates at the configured time. This can easily be validated by examining the System Event viewer on any Microsoft system."

This is not true. Learn windows, or hire a technician to help. Additionally, I believe your computer has a virus that is causing you to pass the Fair Access Policy. Viruses/Worms utilize bandwith.

I use HughesNet at my business in a network with 5 computers. We have never bypassed the Fair Access Policy. I think you are not being honest with the use of your system.

Last, if you don't like the service you can always go back to dial up ;) -or- Get WildBlue...they will throttle you down for a month when you bypass their Fair Access Policy! And their service is slower, less reliable, and lower download capacity.

This is what you get when living in an area without cable, or DSL. Be happy there is some form of service available. Quit complaining, and move back to civilization if internet is that important to you!

• Ca
      31st of May, 2009

Wild blue will "throttle you down for a month" but they also ALLOw more bandwidth per month..(12000 MB download and 3000 MB up) for the medium package, I have hughes and they allow 200/day= 6000 month
    GOD help you if you have tech questions...you will be talking to someone in India that will only offer to send tech guy and charge to align dish... I have ad to call them SEVERAL times, and after hours of confusion end up fixing myself...or it magically starts working fine, , , , , I go through where is dish located? are there trees, bad weather ect..dish is located exactely where their guy installed it!! kinda of a joke but better than dial, for the price wish I would have gone thru wireless evdo connection, NO BANDWIDTH issues and always on..same speed or faster..and price is a little cheaper (depending on what package you got with hughes.)

• Sm
      14th of Jun, 2009

--------------------
    --------------------

Then your computers are not kept up to date and are potentially at risk. The security patches for most software products will cause you to exceed the FAP.

How do I know? I happen to be a "computer support professional" with over 500 customers ;)

Rex Moncrief
    www.smartergeek.com

As a simple example (per machine):

50MBs (megs) = only about 15 songs (legally purchase on iTunes, etc)
    Most MS patches or updates are more than 50MB's.
    Vista SP1 is 434.5 MBs
    XP SP3 is 316.4 MBs
    To download the newest Acrobat Reader update requires 20MB's.
    An iTunes update requires about 50MBs.

This doesn't include normal surfing, youtube, etc.