Hughes Net / Satellite Internet / worst company ever

1 Duluth, United States Review updated:
Phone: 218-464-3212

I live out in the country a little ways so I thought my only option was satellite internet... So I bit the bullet and called hughes net. What a mistake!! When they came out... The technician was rude (Didn't take his shoes off or cover them up in my house)... They contract out the installation work... Agls technologies... Wouldn't use them again either! The tech conned my into purchasing a 125 dollar "pole" because it would get better reception than putting the satellite on the roof... I wrote the check directly to the worker... Which was probably a mistake. The tech didn't even stick around to make sure the internet would work. And it didn't. The signal strength was always "good"... But tech support (After 4 hours of calls talking to people I can barely understand) said... You have a bad signal... And I could see the signal and they were flat-out lying to me. The signal was fine.

So... They sent the technician back out about two weeks later... He checked all connections and what not and said the signal strength was never below operable... But after a couple hours couldn't figure out what the problem was. Then decided to say the problem was with the modem. Fine. Here's where it gets good.

The modem was a brand new supposedly great model. The company (Agls)... Would not allow him to try a new modem... They would only give refurbished ones for repairs (Keep in mind I never had a working internet... So how can this be a "repair")... And because this was a new system they couldn't tell me when they would get one back or how long to fix it... Nothing. No information. And, once again, the tech left me with no internet and no answers.

So... I called the next day and canceled within my 30 grace period. They made me detach the satellite (No clue how to do it... My neighbor ended up doing it for me)... And send it back and pay for shipping... Plus they charged me almost 400 until the equipment came back... Then they said they could only refund half of that... And what I don't understand is why I can't get all of my money back what I never had working service... And by no fault of my own! So... Now it's a month later... I haven't seen any refunds yet... Have had to call many times to get someone to tell me "you'll get a refund..."... Haven't seen it yet... Agls technologies is having troubles returning my calls (Avoiding me)... And now i'm stuck with this ridiculous satellite on this ridiculous pole in my yard that I just want to take and smash through the window of this company!

Bottom line... Please please please don't waste your time, money, or sanity patronizing hughes net company. Turns out qwest was available faster and more conveniently and cheaper at my place... Check all your other options first... All of them! Hughes net sucks.

Comments

• Ad
      4th of Jul, 2008

Hughesnet is a terrible company to deal with. They are either completely unaware of how poor their service is, or they strive hard to make sure you know you have no options when dealing with them. Based on my experience I think it is the latter. I could write a book on the crappy service I have received from this company. I, like the previous poster, had a very rude installer who also ran up the bill with various installation fees that amounted to over $900 total when he left (the pole thing brings back memories). Within the first few days I ran over their Fair Access Policy and upgraded by account to ProPlus. I started with the Home Plan, which has a 200mb download threshold. Never having had access to highspeed internet before, I quickly realized that 200mb is nothing. Next came a problem with the satellite which required someone to come out and provide a fix; I had no internet. This was immediately after their first email upgrade, which leaves me suspicious to this day. Hughesnet technical support said that the company who would do the fix would call me within 5 business days, which they did on the very last day. That company then arrived 4 days later and did fix the problem. Apparently hughesnet is too embarrassed to charge me for the event, though they told me I would be charged on my monthly bill. Months later I have not received a charge. That is the only good news on that "incident."

Fast-forward to June 30th, 2008. I am not one of those customers who was "affected" by the AI6 incident now posted on hughesnet's website. However, because the company has been diverting the traffic that usually went to that satellite (which crashed) to other satellites, my download speeds are barely above dialup speeds. I am on the ProPlus plan, as I mentioned. Under that plan I am supposed to receive up to 1500 kbps in download speed and a minimum of 650 kpbs, which includes peak hours. Anyway, on June 30th I go to download a program and it takes nearly 30 minutes for approximately 30 mb. Puzzled, I go into system control and everything is green. I had not surpassed my bandwidth limits, so i called technical support. After about an hour on the phone, I was told to conduct speed tests on their site every day during the morning, afternoon and evening for three days so that they could analyze the data and troubleshoot the problem.

Today is July 4th, 3 days later. I called hughesnet and they say they are aware of the problem and they are sending the issue to their engineering department. The technician told me than many customers are calling with the same complaint. Again, I was never aligned with the satellite that crashed. These speeds are a direct result of hughesnet rerouting affected customers to other satellites. The technican can provide no timeframe for when my speeds will return! I am paying for a plan that does not deliver the advertised speeds, and will be contacting their billing department WHEN the issue is resolved to have every single day I did not get the speeds promised to me under our contract refunded back to me. To make it clear, I am averaging 70/30 all day long here. Mysteriously at 12 a.m. each night I get speeds of 1000+/100+ that then disappear by late morning (9 or 10 a.m.). Every night it happens. It is hard to imagine thousands of customers logging off at exactly 12 a.m., thus freeing up bandwidth. They are doing a lot of stuff behind the scenes right now and are not keeping customers abreast of what is going on.

Hughesnet is, without a doubt, the worst company I have ever dealt with. Period, end of discussion. Their technical support guys are usually nice and friendly, but that isn't all their is to service. you need to deliver the goods, and hughesnet never seems capable of doing that.

• Ha
      25th of Aug, 2009

I agree with you ...worst company in the world...internet does not work and they say it is my fault...I called and always talk to someone in India or phillipines...and they will not give me to a supervisor and then they say hold on I hold for 20 minutes and get another person in another country... I asked to speak to an american in the US and they say that is not possible...I hate Hughes Net and want everyone to in the US to ban Hughes net.. not American workers and terrible service and terrible customer service...I canceled my service because it does not work and they charged me 370, and want me to return the equipment at my expense...good luck with that...!!!

• Gu
      18th of Feb, 2013

MARK WEAVER 02/18/2013
    I GUESS I'M ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES. ALL THEY BILKED ME OUT OF WAS $40..00. ON SATURDAY, 02/16/2013,
    I CALLED 877-295-5823, A HUGHESNET TEL. NUMBER, TO ASK ABOUT SERVICE. THE HACK SALESMAN TALKED ME
    INTO GIVING UP M, Y DEBIT CARD NUMBER. WE SET UP A TENATIVE INSTALL DATE. I TOLD HIM I WASN'T SURE IF
    I WANTEDS HUGHES NET OR NOT. HE TOLD ME I COULD CANCEL AT ANY TIME BEFORE THE INSTALLATION.
    HE ASSURED ME THAT NO MONEY WOULD BE CHARGED TO MY ACCOUNT UNTIL I CONFIRMEDTHE INSTALL. CHECKING MY BANK ACCOUNT LATER THAT DAY I FOUND OUT $40.00 HAD BEEN WITHDRAWN FROM MY CHECKING. I HADN'T AUTHORIZED IT. I FOUND OUT TODAY, 02/18/2013, AGLS HAD CONTACTED ME TO ARRANGE THE INSTALL. UPON CONTACTING THEM I CANCELED IT. I HAD BECOME SUSPICIOUS WHEN I HADN'T RECEIVED AN
    EMAIL FROM HUGHESNET WITH THE INFO ABOUT THE EXCHANGE. I DID, HOWEVER, WRITE DOWN ALL THE
    PARTICULERS EXCEPT, DARN IT, THE GUY'S NAME. SO EVEN THOUGH IT WILL PROBABLY COST ME $10.00 MORE TO
    GET ANOTHER DEBIT NUMBER, I DIDN'T GET SHAMED INTO PUTTING UP ANOTHER POLE. I DON'T WANT TO
    SOUND CONDECENDING, BUT DO THESE PEOPLE LIVE IN MUD HUTS? DON'T THEY KNOW THE DISH CAN BE
    ATTACHED TO THE ROOF? IT'S SATALITE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

MARK R. WEAVER