Hugesnet Satellite Service / Over Billing

1 Chicago, IL, United States Review updated:

First of all I would like to say that this is not my first bad experience with this company. Waiting over 30 to 45 minutes on hold with operators who do not speak good English is the norm. Back in November of 2008, my satellite modem died. Hughesnet wanted to charge me over 300.00 for a new one so I bought a new one on Craig's list. I had to call their technical support to have it activated and they charged me 50.00 to talk to tier 2 tech support. This took several hours on the phone. The result of that was that they opened a new account without my knowledge and continued to charge me for two services at 69.00 a month which is charged to my VISA bill. I only noticed this in April of 2009 (this month). So, back to the phone I go to talk to their customer support. Another hour of waiting on hold results in them offering to give me only 2 months of over charge back. I asked to speak to a manager and never got one. I told them I would take the two months over charge but that I would be reporting them to The FTC, the Florida Public Trade commission and the Better Business Bureau. I was told that they would escalate my complaint to "upper management" and I requested a phone call to speak with someone personally about this. You only have to type "Hughesnet Complaints" into Google to see that I am one of many who have the same problems with this company. I live in an area where the only two alternatives for Internet Service are dialup and Satellite. The service is too expensive, the equipment is too expensive and the customer service is practically non-existent. They charged me over 200.00 to have a technician come out and re-aim the dish when I had problems with it. If cable broadband or DSL were available in my neighborhood, I would not use Hughesnet at all. It is my only connection to the Internet and given the state of communications in today's world, it has become necessary. I would like the money that Hughesnet took from me for a service I did not receive credited back to my credit card. I would like to see someone require Hughesnet improve the quality of their customer service significantly and I would like to see the cost of the service brought more in line with other ISP's. For 69.00 a month (the amount that the service is supposed to cost) I get speeds just a little bit faster than dialup and no where near broadband speeds. I would cancel the service is if I had an alternative or if I could do without Internet service. I like most Americans, cannot.

Comments

• De
      17th of May, 2009

I've been trying to find someone who was suing HughesNet since last October 2008. I am disabled and can't take down the dish and furthermore I don't know who or where to send it to. I filed a complaint with the FTC last October against hughesnet but I have not heard one word from them or anyone about their backward illegal practices. Also Time Warner High Speed Cable is considering changing their internet system to practices like HughesNet, here in NC anyway. I've tried to warn people but it appears that no one is listening.

• Hu
      12th of Sep, 2009

HugesNet's staff doesn't give a rats a** about the costumer. I have been looking for my money return for the last month and half and they keep saying my package isn't there when the ups tracker number says it was delivered. Then they magically found my packages a month later and told me that they have to check the modem witch would take another 2 weeks. Two weeks later they didn't know anything about my modem and then says they will put money back into my account. Well i have yet to see it and it has been 3 weeks.

10th of Jul, 2017

Attroney General needs to get involved with the FCC and either bring in competition or revoke thier satellite