Hudsom Bay Company / Harassment

Brian Mcculloch
I have a complaint against the Hudson Bay company's security personnel. I was in the store browsing the men's cologne. I stopped at a bottle of cologne I wanted to try. I picked it up and spayed some on myself. I then put the bottle down and without asking any sales personnel about the cologne I left and went in to the McDonald's next door.

After I finished eating I decided to go back into the Bay and ask the salesperson how much the cologne was that I had tried. While I was waiting for her to get off the telephone I tried a little more of the cologne and put it down. That was when the salesperson noticed me and I asked her how much the cologne was. She answered $95, so I asked if there was a smaller bottle of the same cologne and she told me it was around $65. I thanked her and decided to go and look at the men's clothing upstairs. I had only walked about four steps away from the cologne counter and I was approached from behind by a security officer who came right up close to my face staring into my eyes with a (I perceived to be a threatening look) He said to me “you have to leave the store at once, you have sprayed the cologne on yourself and you have been looking at the women.” I replied to him that I had done nothing wrong and didn't feel I had to leave the store. The security guard (he) then replied that “yes you do, you are going to leave now” I was very upset and told him to get away from me or I would have a lawyer deal with him in court.

I started to walk toward the escalator and he followed me. I started to go up the escalator and he followed me. When I reached the the second floor there was another security guard who was coming towards me as though he were going to grab me and then he stopped right in my face and told me I was banned from coming into the Bay. He told me I had to leave right now. I told him I had done nothing wrong and to please get out of my way and leave me alone. At this point the two security guards stood in front of me so I could not go anywhere, I was feeling scared and confused as I had done nothing wrong to be treated in this manner. I then walked to the left of them and went to the other escalator to go down while telling them to please leave me alone. They ignored what I was saying and came very close beside me on the escalator. When we reached the bottom (the first floor), there was another security guard waiting. The three security guards (all) proceeded to tell me that I had to leave immediately and that I was not allowed on the Bays property for 99 years.

I was in total shock at this point and feared what the three men (security guards that were surrounding me) might do to me. This was a very frightening ordeal for me. I started walking away from them and telling them to stay away from me but they kept up with me telling me to leave the property now and was not allowed back. One of the security guards grabbed my arm and directed me out the doors. The three of them escorted me off the property.

We came to the doors that go out to the 8th Avenue mall, there happened to be a man sitting just outside the door on a bench, I asked him for help. I told him these guys (security guards) were using force to get me out of the Bay. The man got up from the bench where he had been sitting and asked the security guards to “leave him alone”. I told the security guards that they had no right to treat me in this manner and that I was going to report them for harassment. I felt totally scared and confused as to why I had just been treated in such a brutal manner. I went home to call the Bay's store Manager but he had left for the day and would not return until the following Monday (April 7/09) This incident happened on Friday (April 4/09) around 4:30 in the afternoon.

When I arrived home I was still in total shock. I was confused and my confidence was shaken. I did not feel like myself for almost three days. Today, Monday, I have started to feel better. I am still having a difficult time believing that the Bay would allow this type of treatment to ever happen.

I would like an investigation into this incident, an explanation and an apology. Every person that enters your store deserves to be treat equitably and not fear harassment.

You can reply to my email address. I will be in contact with the store manager later on in the week once I have received a reply to this email.

D  6th of Apr, 2009 by
I'm upset and discouraged by the employees of the Hudson Bay company
N  9th of Apr, 2009 by
If you can afford the bill I think you should file a suit against them. They should have security video cam footage to support your story. I know that some lady won a lawsuit against them for having the alarms go off when she went through the exit door with paid-for goods. If anything at all the security guard would lose his job...that's justice, -since he wasn't doing his job anyways. He probably thought you were oogling his girlfriend at the counter- haha-kidding! I know how frustrated you feel- Ive had similar stuff happen to me. Keep calling on the store mgr to resolve it or his mgr remember:calm cool and collected will prevail! Good Luck
N  12th of Nov, 2009 by
I currently work at the Bay, and I am quitting after one month of lies, and disappointment. I was told full time, and raise after one month. I am getting two shifts, of four hours. I have been there, and never gotten a raise, I have had enough with that company. They don't care about their employees, or their customers. I know that, I work there, and am ashamed.
N  14th of Nov, 2009 by
Hi canadiangirl, I think you should wait until you've done your xmas shopping before you quit. You may as well get the discount! Then you won't feel like it's been for nuthin'.
I've worked there too- I know how you feel...I did my xmas shopping, then quit- It felt good. :)
A  22nd of Jul, 2010 by
Hello canadiangirl. I understand your dissapointment and frustration. I 've been working at the Bay for 4 years now and things have only been getting worse. Ownership changes have something to do with it however, there is no excuse for what the company has become. The new ownership is trying to run the company on the cheap and it's hurting business. Employee hours have become pitiful. I've been given a threatening notice about my employment because they want me to get a lot of IC's with just 4-6 hrs. a week! There are departments that are a mess because they don't schedule staff properly anymore. Many people have quit since I've been there and have found better jobs with better hours. Customers seem to like my salesmanship qualities very much, but the Bay does not seem to appreciate that. That's their loss. I'll have to seek new employment. The #1 customer complaint is that there is never any staff around to help them and that cash check-outs are always closed. They also can't believe what's happened to the Bay in recent years and will shop elsewhere. Who can blame them. Also, management is very poor.
N  4th of Sep, 2011 by
the bay is known for its disrespectful manners towards consumers.
no one to help u out, feel like ur playing hide and seek with them
no one at the cash to let you pay
endless line ups because theres one person serving 100 customers
people do not care about you, not even if ur gonna by, they r not on commission so they dont care
they r rude, disrespectful, do not know the store policies or regulations or rules

i myself was treated like ###, by a woman who looked like a hooker (no jokes i swear if you would see her, you would puke ur gutts out) all i wanned was to get my bill adjusted, she had the nerve to give me attitude and tell me i must bring the item i bought with me to get the adjustment done on my bill...i did that several times in my life, and never i was asked to bring ithems with me (imagine if i bought a fridge or a matress, do u really expect the customer to carry it on their head ????? of course not, all you need is the original bill from the store) so i got pissed at her and told her ill ask someone competant enought to do, she then phoned from customer service other cashiers in the store, and told them to not help me out...untill i had to ask for a supervisor and he was pissed for what she did, didnt even argue with me or anything, he adjusted my bill, right on the spot!!!

the bay is falling apart for the past 10 years, cash register do not work right, mistakes happen all the time, people are ruder than ever, no service, no one around to help you out, AND NOW THEY SELL BIG BRANDS LIKE CHLOE, WTF CAN AFFORD THESE BRANDS WITH THE ECONOMY CRISE GOING ON??????????????

and as for the way you were treated, that is unacceptable, and you should def, complaint to the boards of directors

call them, or go see them and make sure they hear ya.
N  22nd of Nov, 2012 by
The Bay is gone to the dogs. They seem to have incompetent and careless employees feeding on consumers money and being ignorant. They don't even have the courtesy to return your emails, or phone calls .

I have personal experience where I have sent complaint emails to Bay's director of customer service Shane Tryon In Toronto.He does not even have the basic ethics and courtesy to even acknowledge, let alone reply.

Don't support the Bay and tell your friends .
N  17th of Apr, 2013 by
To whom it may concern,
My mom and I asked for assistance with a price. The woman was in a bad mood and called security because I attempted to challenge the sales person on the fact that the price of the skirt was different than the price given on the third floor. The woman sales rep got angry and called security.
I was visiting my mom who has recently been diagnosed with cancer and she is 90 pounds wet. I myself am only 100 pds. These two goons practically man handled my mom and I were excessively aggressive!!! towards my mother and I. They told my mom and I that we were banded from the Bay for two years. They were on my heels and were practically using their chests to push my mom and I out the door. They threatened to call the police. These two goons looked like they were using drugs and or alcohol over the week-end. The shorter guy had rage reflecting through his eyes. He was ready for a fight???. I only wanted to find out about a price on the article.
I got home and felt traumatized!. and shaken to the core.
I am a true native Calgarian - thank-you very much!!!. born and raised in this city!!! If I do not get an apology I will be in the next few days calling the CALGARY HERALD and I will officially state the aggressive conduct and harassment that my mom and I experienced at the BAY. Get the goons out (private security personal, which you just hired). I will also be calling the police to file an official complaint, as my mom has a history of POST TRAUMATIC STRESS SYNDROME. How dare you...harass and bully a 75yr old woman and myself, who are quite petite and were only inquiring about a price on an item!!!
N  24th of Dec, 2013 by
I was just at the downtown Calgary store went to the washroom looked like it hadent been cleaned in months dry blood splat on the floor then I ended up cutting my figure and yet no e in the store would help me so I contacted corpret office and asked who my lawyer will contact about this issue and now on my way to go get bood done