HRRG / harrassment

717 EAST STREET, Knoxville, TN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 8659736076

Hrrg is calling me to collect for my eight year old daughters medical bill of 399.00. Iitold them several times that she has medicaid and that her bills are covered by medicaid and they act like the cant find the insurance and continue to ask me for the medicaid i. D number. I could be having surgery on my death bead or being held up at a bank and they will constantly ask me for the medicaid id number and I have already given this information. They drive me crazy and I cant get them off of my back no matter what!

Comments

24th of Apr, 2013

To Mr. Joseph B. Carmen, President of HRRG
    I have been in the medical field for 12+years and have been dealing with HIPAA since its inception. I recently had a not one, but TWO terrible experiences with 2 different so-called customer service representatives. All I wanted to do was try to find out some information regarding the account that had been turned over to your agency.

On 6/14/12 my boyfriend was seen in our local ER for a knee injury. And yes, I am his authorized representative according to HIPAA guidelines. As the statements for service started coming in, I noticed that 2 of them were for the same amount. Because I was dealing with ER, ER physician, radiology, radiology pro-fee, orthopedist, etc., I inadvertently discarded the statement for the ER physician, thinking that payment arrangements had been made. What I had done, was made payment arrangements for the hospital bill, which WAS THE SAME AMOUNT AS THE ER PHYSICIAN.

Of course I take full responsibility for this situation. The money is owed and will be paid. However, when I tried to find out from your CSR who the original creditor was, just so I could make sure I had all the correct information, I was treated very poorly. I finally called the hospital and spoke with their billing department and was given the number to the original creditor. I called them and they transferred me back to HRRG, where I was met with an equally unpleasant CSR. It is obvious that your employees are not happy with themselves or their jobs because neither of them were the least bit interested in anything I had to say, nor were their attitudes even close to being acceptable. And, as the enclosed information states, YES THEY COULD HAVE SPOKEN WITH ME ABOUT THIS! They just were not interested in helping me.
    I know all about deadbeat patients. I’ve seen enough of them in the 12+ years I’ve been doing my job. But the one thing that I have never, ever done, is not listen to what someone had to say to me. I listen to every word and let them know that I understand and appreciate their situation. If I can help them I do. If I can’t, then I explain in CERTAIN TERMS BACKED UP BY HIPAA, why I can’t.

One would think that with HRRG being listed with Dunn & Bradstreet, someone in your organization would care enough to take the reigns and retrain your CSRs on how to properly and courteously handle anyone who calls in, to prevent any escalation of stress, in an already stressful situation. If they are having a particularly bad day, like we all do on occasion, when their phone rings, all they have to do is take a deep breath, force a smile, and then answer. They may not feel much better, but at least it will get them through one call at a time. AND someone should certainly re-educate them on to whom they can BY LAW release information. The law states that written authorization is NOT required when discussing payment. IF it is an HRRG policy, then that’s different. Your CSRs need to explain that it is a company policy, NOT misinform callers by hiding behind their ignorance of the law.

It is no wonder that collection agencies have such a bad reputation. It all begins with who they hire to answer the phone. Hire people who can at least act like they are enjoying their day, even it they aren’t. Don’t hire people who act like ignorant mouth-breathers.