H&R Block Tax Preparations / cheated out of money by deception

Country:
United states

Company phone

Incident
I first went to h&r block on lake june balch spring on january 7th, 2008 to inquire about the "emerald card loan". the so called "tax professional" couldn't do the tax return properly so he had to have his "manager" help him. he verbally told me my tax return would be $6309, but he needed my w-2's to finish the return. on january 11th, 2008 I went to the office on 701 e cartwright and had my tax returns done again to get the "emerald card loan". they took my last pay stub for the year with clearly states my income for 2007. again they prepared my taxes. they printed a sheet stating my estimated refund would be $8256 and my 2007 income was $14976, when my last pay stub for the year clearly states I made almost 2 1/2 times that amount. again I wasn't able to get the anticipation loan until I brought in my w-2's, but qualified for the "emerald card loan" of $500.00. when I got my w-2's january 22nd, I rushed down to the office and handed to them. I forgot to bring that paper that clearly states what the refund said I was going to get. I got there and again they had to prepare my taxes. this time I am only to get $3907.60 back in my returns. I called h&r block january 23rd. I have spoken to at least 3 different people in 5 days and every time they said they would call me back because they "had to make phone calls", only again to be put on the back burner. I was told today (1/28/08) that someone would call be back at 2:30pm and it almost 7:30pm and no phone call! h&r block hires people who have no knowledge or have any experience in the tax field and then under trains them. how can you get 3 different return amounts if they were "professional tax experts"? I am still awaiting to hear what the district manager is going to do, after I refused their offer to cut my tax preparation fees in half due to their mistake. but being as they said someone would call me at 2:30pm and I haven't heard from them who knows where this will go.

Damage resulting
Being as h&r block wrote my refund on paper to be $8256 for my refund, I thought I would get that back. so, I took out $3,000+ to get my kids beds and myself an economical car since my work is rather far. as of now I am $3,000 in debt because of their mistake.
Tr

Comments

Ch
  8th of Mar, 2008
Refunds are never guaranteed. The higher your income, the higher your tax liability which may result in a lower refund. When you stated that your income was over twice the limit compared to what was entered when you applied for the loan, it changes the anticipated refund during tax season. Unfortunately for you the difference in actual tax refunds are in part due to clerical error when assessing your last pay stub. Hopefully by now, you should have heard from the district manager in your area. 1-800-hrblock or if that fails, you should have arbitration forms in your possession. These are forms that you sign before you file for any product. The loans against refunds and pre season products are heavily geared toward the poor and underserved. I have yet to see a wealthy or rich person apply for those type of products. Good luck
Es
  18th of Mar, 2008
Sometimes people seem to forget that we all are humans and therefore subject to human error. That goes for H&R block and any other business. This company does have a Peace of Mind offer where they let the clients know that human error can occur and if so, they hold themselves accountable for it. Please try not to be so critical of people and consider yourself as if it were you the tax professional. Could you do it? Turnover in this business is high. Thank God that someone is willing to be trained to do YOUR taxes even though they have to get help. That is what managers are for... to help the staff. I know that their error was a costly one, but try not to be so hard on people for their humanity. You just might find yourself on the receiving end of the same kind of treatment. How will you measure up?

H&R Block / HRB Digital Logo H&R Block / HRB Digital