Hp Laptop G60 - 235dx / display repair

Hello all,

I am really dissappointed and frustrated with HP. We bought this HP notebook model G60-235DX only 2 months ago and have been using it very lightly. 2 weeks ago my wife was closing down the monitor when all of a sudden the picture on the display dissappeared and black and white lines appeared on the screen. A permanent black spot of 1 inch in diameter showed up on the screen as well. My wife did not drop the notebook, she did not hit and she did not push the screen - she was just closing down the monitor. We called HP and explained the problem - they sent us a FedEx box and we shipped our notebook to them. 4 days later (which is today) we receive an email saying that there will be a service charge of $420 to fix the problem. Today we also receive a voice message where an HP rep asks us to call them urgently within 24 hours. We call her number, but her mailbox is full. We call the customer service and a lady explains to us that a service rep assessed the notebook and identified a crack on the display. We want to talk to the rep's manager, but she says he is not available. We ask for this rep's name and she says they are not allowed disclose it (never heard of this before with customer service.) We have had notebooks for many years and we know how to deal with them. That was not an accident and we did not cause any physical damage to the notebook - we do not feel any fault at all. We do not want to pay either 420 or 5 dollars for this repair and we are confident that HP must be responsible for it because they sold to us a bad product. We are going to call the manager on Monday to tell her the same story and she insists that HP is not responsible, we are going to ask them to return the notebook back to us and we are going to fight with all means possible as we have never been in such an unfair situation before.
Can somebody please kindly advise what the best steps would be for us to prove that we were not at fault and that HP has to take responsibility? We know about BBB and consider court as well. Please help. Sorry for so many words, but we are very dissappointed and wanted to tell a lot. Thank you veyr much!

Comments

• Cc
      30th of Jun, 2009

This is very interesting to me because the same thing has happened to me. I have had laptops for years and know how to handle them. The the day I closed my laptop and did not slam it.
    When I went back to it there was a permanent black spot that caused lines in both directions accross the screen. This laptop is only about 4 months old. Hp said I damaged it some how. I explained that there is no damage on the outside only the inside, how is it possible that I damaged it without any physical damage to the outside? They will not replace my screen. I amvery upset with hp because I love their products and customer service. Disappointed.

• Ke
      5th of Jul, 2009

this laptop's screen is very fragile i read lots of article on the net about this issue.
    I bought my HP g60-235DX laptop 3 months ago, which was working fine but that one evening the LCD screen cracked when i opend my laptop. i called HP they said warranty doesn't cover the screen, funny thing is he said that this was an accident we wont cover :-) opening my laptop, how this can be accident... i paid $600 for this and now i am trying to seel it on ebay for 100 bucks.. i do like HP products and i am also veryyyyy disappointed..Thank you HP :(

• As
      21st of Jul, 2009

Same problem... anyone get any where with these people? Shut down the computer, opened it 20 minutes later and BAM! BIG BLACK SPOT and without even looking at it, HP said it was my fault?!!? Please help ashley58260@yahoo.com

• Nj
      23rd of Jul, 2009

We have had unending problems with our HP G60. Bought about six months ago, from the very start the wireless network device was nonfunctional. Finally fixed after many calls and many hours with HP reps over the phone.
    Subsequently, the computer just doesn't work. It won't turn on. The screen goes to blue or white about two minutes after turning the computer on. WE HAVE SENT IT IN TWICE FOR REPAIR BY HP (covered by warranty) AND IT HAS WORKED FOR EXACTLY ONE DAY BOTH TIMES AFTER RECEIVING IT BACK FROM REPAIR.
    I wrote a detailed letter asking for a replacement after the first time the "HP total care repair" sent me back a broken computer. However, the second time they did the same thing. No replacement. My husband and I are planning to contact HP world headquarters, and if no response or no replacement is given, we will be FILING COMPLAINTS WITH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU, AND THE ATTORNEYS GENERAL OF NEW JERSEY (our state) AND CALIFORNIA (HP's home state). I have been successful in the past when doing these things.

18th of Nov, 2009

HP has a problem with this screen(17"), my computer screen broke after 5 months. I took the computer back to BestBuy and was told, since I had not purchased a warrenty that screen breakage not covered by the HP warrenty as it was due to an accident. I showed them the case, which does not have one mark on it and even showed it to the HP rep who was at the store and guess what, I was told that the computer had been dropped that's why the screen broke. So here is a brand new laptop computer ( January 2009 )that I was told to just use like a desktop computer. If I had wanted a desktop I would have purchased one. HP really needs to admit that this screen (17") is flawed and replace these computers with 15.6" screens. I will be buying a new laptop computer, but after this experience it won't be an HP.

• Te
      26th of Nov, 2009

Same thing happened with me. I bought mine at the end of February 2009 and last week (November 18, 2009) I shut the monitor and 30 seconds later opened it back up and had a HUGE crack in the LCD. The screen itself is perfect - it's just the LCD. I was on the phone with HP for an hour and 45 minutes for them to tell me it was all my fault. When I asked him exactly how this could be my fault, his answer was "Because it was in your presence." Who else is going to be touching my laptop?!?!? I ended up hanging up on them and calling a friend of mine who works on computers. He's currently searching for a screen now to replace mine with. We're currently at $90 with a $15 shipping charge. These people have completely destroyed my faith in anything HP.

• Cm
      21st of Dec, 2009

We have a G60-458DX and it has 3 black "blobs" on it. if you look at it closely, it is individual pixels going out. Seems to slowly be growing. I am finally getting it sent in but they have initially said no warranty. I just told them that if this was the answer, to please have a phone number and name of the next level to contact. I was Very polite, but explained my frustation in their customer service and the amount of bouncing around I have experienced.

• Mi
      4th of Feb, 2010

The same thing happened with me...I am from India and i had to send the laptop to US to get it replaced and they told me it was a physical damage by showing the pictures..Now i am taking pains to ship it back to India..

• Dr
      18th of Mar, 2010

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!

• Dr
      18th of Mar, 2010

My post got cut off. When I called HP to discuss the problem they told me it was something I had done. When I told them all I did was close the screen, the woman on the other line told me "sir, when I talk, you should just listen." Before that moment I was using excruciating tact as to not anger someone who could potentially save me hundreds. This did not make me happy to say the least. I have found someone who can replace the screen in under an hour for me. He said the screen will cost about 120 and his service will be about 100 for the hour. I suggest using this method instead of paying HP 420.

• La
      2nd of May, 2010

My G60 235 laptop is also having the same issue. It started out as a small dot on the screen and has now grown to about 1 inch long. The laptop has never been dropped, (my kids dont use it as they each have their own HP laptop) HP customer support still has my laptop and have tried to tell me that its customer fault (I damaged it they say) That is a total lie. I have never dropped this laptop or even banged it, as I never take it out of my office. I demanded that they review it again, because I know that there is no way that I damaged it, or that the damage is on my end. Does anyone have any advice they can offer as I am afraid that they are going to try to avoid covering it under warranty.

22nd of May, 2010

I have an issue where if I turn my G60 off it will power back on but the display will not work. I can attach and external display and it works fine, but sometime after that (I haven't quite figured out what is it I do or whether it is just overheating some connector or ?) I have been looking out here for weeks but no answer. I just never let it run out of battery power which means I am tethered for the most part. Anyone had this?

22nd of May, 2010

Sorry what I meant to say is that sometime after that it comes back on and I am not sure why.

• Mv
      22nd of Aug, 2010

i have bought lenovo r500 from my college..i used it for 5 months . after tat one day i switched on ma laptop charger suddenly display became blank and i removed d charger ..rebooted d lap .display were broken.i claimed for warranty to lenovo, tey said u would hav punched d display tats y it has broken...

• Ei
      4th of Oct, 2010

I bought my daughter an HP laptop 10/14/2008 after her Gateway shot craps (we feel the Best Buy Geek Squad caused the fatal damage) She is in NY and had to have a computer. This time we bought the extended 4 year warranty. Friday, Oct 1, 2010, Guess what, I'm afraid to say the black blob has taken over her computer as well. It is at Best Buy now and they mentioned something about Accidental Coverage - we had no idea what they were talking about. They are charging her $160 to back up her hard drive because it will probably be wiped out when they send it for repair. They also said she would need an external hard drive . She is intending to pick it up tonight get the backup done herself. I have contacted computer repair companies in St. Louis and they believe Best Buy is just trying to cover themselves at our expense. Now I'm afraid that the warranty we bought will be worthless.
    I am especially sorry for all of you who have only had yours for a few months. I, too, will contact the BBB and the Attorney General's office of New York.

• En
      18th of Dec, 2010

i have back light gone 2 times in two years!!!

• En
      18th of Dec, 2010

i heve replaced monitor 2 times on hpg60 24. series dont by hp!!! How we can file compliant?this is rip off

19th of Dec, 2010

I finally realized that my problem of the monitor not coming on was a short. If I wait until I hear the sound of Windows coming on and then open and close the computer 3 to 5 times. Each time I reopen it, it shows black and white in differing pattern and finally will go all black and reappears with the user icons showing. Glad I didn't waste any money repairing it after hearing what everyone else has been through.

• Ax
      25th of Apr, 2011

I am having an issue with the display on my HP G 60 230US Notbook. The display dims away when plugged through the power adapter. You can barely see the content of the display 1-5 seconds after the OS start loading. When the Notebook is working off the battery only, the display is fine. I have switched the power setting to High performance, Did BIOS update and re-installed Graphic/Video Driver, but that didn't solve the problem. The notebook seems to be working fine on an external monitor, it is just the laptop own display that's giving the problem.

17th of Oct, 2011

When I close my Hp Notebook Computer and it goes to sleep i open it back up and the computer will turn on but the screen is black
    I then have to put the computer to sleep several times until it turns on i have also went through 2 batteries on this computer, my cousin has the same Hp G60 as me and he has had the same problems and he has to use a standard keyboard because some of his keys dont work. My computer Voluume freezes every time i go to change it and sometimes the whole OS freezes and i have to wait until the OS kicks back in.