HP / customer service

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

Having purchased a desktop PC (Pavilion dv9365UK) from HP in September, I am still waiting for a working machine to be delivered to my home. It suffered a fatal error a few days after I had moved all files over onto it, so rather than returning the product to the retailer (Comet in the UK) I sent it back to HP for repair, hoping the data could be recovered.

The machine was returned to me a week or so later with just enough functionality for me to backup the data before it was returned once more.

A month or so with countless phone calls and promises that my case was being escalated up a level, no machine.

HP Customer Services said there was no chance of a replacement being sent to me as they have three chances to repair before they replace. This did not seem to have a time limit - perhaps they just wait until the customer forgets that they even shelled out nearly £900 for a PC which is devaluing by the day (when the product was still being sold, it was down to £680 in the same store.)

Three months down the line, the machine was returned to me last week non-functioning and sent straight back to HP who simply hung up on me when I called to find out what was happening this morning.

Comet say no chance of refund. They have stopped selling this machine, so no replacement avaialable.

My advice? DON'T buy from HP unless you have a free phone line, endless patience and masochistic tendencies!

Comments

• La
      10th of Jul, 2008

I am having a hard time with hp concerning a bad keyboard. I was told to send it back, but when I did it a was gone 3 weeks. I finally called today and after being transferred around thier support system for over a hour, I was told that the keyboard was being returned because I "sent the keyboard only". I clearly told the man that the keyboard only was defective.We actually went thru several tests to make sure it was the keyboard only. How stupid can you get? They are suppose to be sending it back. Iwastold to place another order. Plus the dam thing keeps crashing.

• Ra
      22nd of Aug, 2008

WE HAVE COMPLAINED FOR A LASER PRINTER MODEL 3055 ON 04 JUN 08. THE CASE ID IS 2601287865, AND SERIAL NO IS - CNCKL02760 PROBLEM NOT POWERING ON, THE HP AUTHORIZED ENGINEER NAMED MR PAWAN KUMAR FROM COMPTECH SYSTEMS JORHAT ATTENDED AND FOUND SOME PARTS FAULTY AND TOLD IT WILL BE OK WITHIN A WEAK . BUT UNABLE TO REPAIR WITHIN SPECIFIED TIME AND TILL TODAY PROBLEM IS NOT SOLVED, NOW THE CASE IS ON THE HAND OF TRADE AND TECHNOLOGY (AUTORIZED HP ENG. MR SANDEEP) DIBRUGARH BUT THEY HAVE ALSO TAKEN MORE THEN A MONTH BUT CASE IS NOT YET SOLVED, AND ALSO
    THE FOLOWING INFORMATION
    CASE ID:2601287865 17 th june attended and resolved on 27 th june
    Case ID:2601879904 the call was logged 10.07.2008 and got resolved on 20 .07.2008. IS NOT TRUE AS THE PRINTER IS NEVER BEEN DELIVERD TO US IN OK CONDITION, THEY ARE UNABLE TO REPAIR THE PRINTER SO THEY ARE GIVING THE COMPANY WRONG INFORMATION ABOUT IT, IF THEY ARE GIVING YOU THE MESSEGE THAT THE CASE WAS CLOSED ON 20.07 AND 10.07 ASK THEM TO SHOW THE DELIVERY REPORT .
    I HOPE THAT YOU WILL STUDY THE CASE AND SOLVE THE CASE, AT EARLIEST AS CUSTOMER IS FACING A LOT OF PROBLEM AND HARASHMENT . AND DEMANDING FOR REPLACING THE PRINTER WITH ANOTHER ONE . SO PLEASE LOOK INTO THE MATTER, AT PRORITY .
    CONTACT NUMBER OF ENGINEER WHO ARE LOOKING THE CASE

JAIN COMPUTERS
    TINSUKIA

• Mk
      7th of Jul, 2009

I recently purcahsed an HP laptop on July 4th using my husband's Credit card. We found it was denied since they couldn't verify that I had permission to use, whatever methods they used for verification were very inefficient. I had to spend 30 mins on the phone trying to explain to them I was his wife and was making the purchase and that my husband was out of the country and could not be reached on his cell phone. The people were extremely rude and actually hung up on me.

In the end my husband had to call them himself and explain to them he wasnt in the US and that he authorized me to handle the process. When he tried to file a complaint about the sort of service we had been given, he was actually hung up on too!

We're never buying anything off the HP website again, they're customer service is absolutely pathetic!

• Av
      7th of Jul, 2009

Credit cards are not supposed to be shared. It doesn't matter if you are his wife, his kid or a scammer trying to use his card. You do not have the authority to use it even with his permission. HP was right to deny this request.

• Sp
      13th of Jan, 2010

HP has the WORST customer service EVER. So far 35mins returning their call to get a fedex box to return my 2wk old crashed computer.

I spent 7 mins navigating through an automatic answering service that was confusing, very frustrating, and ultimately pointless. I had to repeat my address and email 4 times during the call, there were numerous numbers thrown at me as well as an explanation of the 11th anniversary of HP in India (what?!). Everything that was repeated to me was already confirmed in previous emails, and I was told everything we talked about today would also be sent in an email. I was told the anti-virus software that CAME WITH THE COMPUTER was faulty and I had to BUY a different program for $49.00. Apply my hourly to the time of the call, and today alone I've spent 2.1 times the cost of the original purchase, in addition to the original service inquiry and follow-up emails.

And now they want me to pay for shipping, too.

• Jd
      6th of Jul, 2010

I have an HP pavilion Dv6000 whitch is about two and a half years old. I was just told my vidio card is out and it would be cheaper to buy a new one than to fix this one. Frist of all I think a computer should last longer than two and a half years, second I was suppose to get a $175. 00 rebate which has never come after checking on it three times. So without getting the rebate, this computer has cost me about $375. 00 dollars a year to own. I will never buy another Hp product and will tell every one I can to move to another brand, I think your product is to exspensive to own.

• Dp
      24th of Jan, 2011

I feel your pain. I have too suffered the consequences of owning a faulty HP laptop and going through their illiterate Customer service and Downgrading repair parts sending process but putting labels of the boxes so that you think you received the same... I am a MCSA with Security+ certified and have over 10+ years of computer assembly experience. I was able to pinpoint my computers BSOD to one of the memory modules being bad and it had to be the bigger size one... So anyways, I go ahead and call HP to get it replaced. Everything goes well and it’s in warranty so they will send me one which in the order details stated to be the EXACT same one given the Replacement Model Number my module had. The first pack was never received because Fedex simply never left notices on my residence and they sent it back to hp. So after I waited 10 days, I have to redo the order... But then on the second I get it finally but after I unpack and check the specs it was rather a DOWNGRADED compatible memory module PC3-8500S instead of PC3-10600S (The bus speed was rather 1066mhz instead of 1333mhz which is what my laptop came with, a G62). So I call and they understood it was a data entry error and they will send now the correct one but I explain to him that even thou the order details said another laptop model, the actual Part number was exactly the same and the SHIPPING box had the labels for the PC3-10600 EVEN THOU they had placed a PC3-8500S inside... Anyways they said they will fix everything so I was happy. So then I send the second package back and the next they I received the THIRD package. So I happily opened to get my laptop fixed FINALLY... But what happens when I verify the module before I even get it out of the anti-static back? IT WAS a PC3-8500S!!! Jesus Christ... Can this people be for reals? So now I am extremely upset and call them. I explain the situation and now he tells me that the memory module is discontinued that I couldn't have received that part... And now he wants me to send the laptop in to get if fixed... How will I send the laptop and expect them to send me back the right one if they can't even send me the correct memory module? I explain this to him and he says there is not thing else they can do... He then tells me that he has spent too much time and has to end the call and asks me if he can help me with something else... So obviously I hanged up right in his face because that is the most disrespectful and unprofessional service I have ever be through. I had done the initial case through chat but then I did the rest though phone calls which would send me to the Hispanic customer service. So thinking I would get a better service if I do it with english speaking customer service, I went online and tried to get this fixed through the online chat. Big mistake... Just like the first chat session, the representative hardly spelled one sentence correctly. And then he first told me the memory modules were the same, I explain to him they are not. THEN he does his little research and he says they are compatible. I explain to him compatibility is not the issue, PERFORMANCE is... How can you replace my defective/expensive/faster part with a down grade cheaper one when it still in warranty? Then he tells me that the one I got is also 1333mhz... I'm like "Oh so you guys designed these PC3-8500S to run at that bus clock speed?" So then he does "more research" and FINALLY sees my point. I kind of hate this because all they try to do is get clients out of their way with false statements and maybe even scam them with lower quality crap parts. What is even worst, either their packaging people label boxes with proper item tags but the actual contents are not OR their inventory people do that... Anyways at the end of the chat, he tells me a Case manager is going to call me in 2 business days. If the 2 business days go by, I will just keep the part, test it, make sure it works, send the bad one back and simply never EVER buy hp equipment ever again. And I will just buy a 4GB memory module 1333mhz on ebay and sell HPs 2GB 1066mhz locally for the same price I got the ebay one lol But I do see how this people probably deceive a lot of computer uneducated people with their downgraded replacement parts and illiterate lying customer service and they think they got a great service...

I will also say the same to anyone who asks me about HP and will recommend Toshiba which I have owned over the years and had NEVER malfunction on me even the pre-owned ones which I have used over 5-6 years and still in use with 0 parts replaced. Maybe even ACER which I kind of hate because of their low quality internals look but you get what you paid for... Not the case with HP thou, you get less hahaha

• To
      8th of Jan, 2016

I had to change my banking information, so I need a contact number to pay my Smart Friend monthly premium bill. Have been unable to get one,