Houzzcheck cashing scheme targeting interior designers

Attention: Executive Operations

This is the second similar FAKE opportunity I have received from "Houzz" since registering my business profile in the last several months.

See below.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 26, 2018, at 10:41 PM, Jane Khole wrote:

My name is Mrs Jane, I'm married and I have a 7 months baby call Sara. My husband is the most wonderful thing that has happened to me and I will always say that. He is a Software Developer and System Engineer to a company, we are moving back to the State from London, UK because he just secured a better job.

House description: 2 br, 2 bath with custom woodwork throughout. Parking space, Luxurious master suite, open-concept chef's kitchen with granite counters, SS appliances, skylight, custom cabinets. We will also send a floor plan and pictures when available for your review.

We have ordered for the furniture and home appliances, so all we need you to do is to make use of our supplies to do the interior decorating (furniture and electronics layout, artwork placement, kitchen utensils placements etc). We plan moving in October.

Below are the items my husband ordered, I'll see if I can get the rest to you but these are the major ones:

Rug for living room 5' by 6' in size - 1
Alarm clock
Shower Curtain, bath towels, hand towels
Toilet brush
Fire extinguisher
Belmont Twelve Light Chandelier to replace formal one.See the Top 10 Worst Complaints in Jacksonville, FL

If I may ask, in Which area or city do you live in?

There would be handyman/installer to help you. Agent/realtor should also be there delivery date to accept furnitures. The paintings have been done so you don't need to worry about that and I would like to know how much you are willing to charge for your services at least 2 days and if you accept Check for payment. I would appreciate it if you can get back to us soonest because we really want things sorted before our arrival.

I look forward to your response soonest.

Thank you.

*********************************************

The original text came from phone number

[protected]

Text message says:

I'm Mrs Lee from houzz, a cousin of mine need an interior designer to decorate their new apartment. Kindly email her at [protected]@gmail.com

*********************************************

This is the second time I have had a similar fraudulent contact (text) from someone with a nearly identical story; only it was from a woman who claimed to be a "deaf mute."

This is really unfortunate, as Houzz has been trying to obtain my business to advertise on their website for ~$550.00 per month.

I reported this to the sales department who reached out to me after registering.

He claimed the selling point was that Houzz generates qualified opportunities.

So far, all I have had are ridiculous emails from an illiterate person, that has no idea what design firms do.

We do not take delivery of furniture and setup a new household from a move without clients present.

That is not what turnkey design service is.

Houzz needs to follow up on this fraudulent activity and contact the FBI. This has been occurring repeatedly for the past 2 - 3 years. Google It!

I am going to call Washington DC, and report this to ASID's national Headquarters. Houzz does not deserve my business with this type of chronic fraudulent activity.

Regretfully,

K H Page
Haute Couture Home, LLC

Kr
Sep 26, 2018

Comments

• Aa
      Mar 02, 2019

I just got a similar text using the same name as this story.

• Hu
      Mar 05, 2019

I got it today. The line "If I may ask, in Which area or city do you live in?" triggered that it's a scam.

Here is the full text, all very fishy:
    Good day,

My name is Mrs Khole Jane, I'm married and I have a 7 months baby call Sara. My husband is the most wonderful thing that has happened to me and I will always say that. He is a Software Developer and System Engineer to a company, we are moving back to the State from London, UK because he just secured a better job.

House description: 3 br, 2 bath with custom woodwork throughout. Parking space, Luxurious master suite, open-concept chef's kitchen with granite counters, SS appliances, skylight, custom cabinets. We will also send a floor plan and pictures when available for your review.

We have ordered for the furnitures and home appliances, so all we need you to do is to make use of our supplies to do the interior decorating (furniture and electronics layout, artwork placement, kitchen utensils placements etc). We plan moving in Last week of June or earlier. Kindly let me know your free time/chosen date between now and then so we can fix everything and our orders can be deliver at the house before then too.

Rug for living room 5' by 6' in size - 1
    Pillows
    Alarm clock
    Shower Curtain, bath towels, hand towels
    Fire extinguisher
    Belmont Twelve Light Chandelier to replace formal one.

If I may ask, in Which area or city do you live in?

There would be handyman/installer to help you. Agent/Realtor should also be there delivery date to accept furnitures. The paintings have been done so you don't need to worry about that and I would like to know how much you are willing to charge for your services atleast 2 days and if you accept Check for payment. I would appreciate it if you can get back to us soonest because we really want things sorted before our arrival.

I look forward to your response soonest.

Thank you.