Houston S.P.C.A. / My Cat

1 900 Portway Dr. Houston Tx 77024Houston, TX, United States

On Saturday March 23rd, 2013 I was faced with a difficult decision. I had to give up my 2 yr old Neutered male Domestic short hair cat. I recently had to take a job that is 90% travel. After having a friend look after my baby boy for a month, she stated that she couldn't do it anymore because she already had a full plate of responsibilities. I searched and searched for a solution but to no avail. I saved My Valentino from The Pasadena Animal Control & Adoption ( where I was an A.C.O. ) . I returned there hoping that they may be able to find him a happy home or perhaps a foster parent for a short period. They couldn't accept him because they were at capacity. I had two days to find a solution. I reluctantly chose HSPCA as a solution. I will never regret another decision more in my life ! I cried the whole way there dreading the separation, i promised Valentino that this was the best thing and that they will find him a home ( i wholeheartedly believed this ) . Upon my arrival ( i had an appointment ) the staff ( Jasmine ) was insensitively joking with other staff ( while i was bawling my eyes out ) making me wait 20 mins. She finally called me up to the counter and began taking my information. I told her everything i could think of about Valentino, how he's really a cat dog, he loves to play fetch and get his belly scratched, showed her pictures of his funny sleeping poses. She was putting me at ease by telling me that she could see that he was highly adoptable. I filled out the paper work, she even told me that i can send the pics i had so they could put them on his profile for the adoption site. I said my goodbyes, tears streaming down my face i turned and walked out wondering what wonderful family or person would choose Valentino. I left the next day to return to my job, and checked the website hourly. I checked into Monday still no Valentino. I began to worry that he wasn't up on the site, so i asked a friend to call and see if they could find out what was going on. While waiting for them to get back to me, i received a TXT message from an unfamiliar number that read " HSPCA just called, your cat was PTSed ( Put To Sleep ) for being aggressive ". My heart sank my world turned upside down. The thought of that happening ( even as a former Animal Control Officer who knows thoroughly how shelters work ) never crossed my mind. I know my cat, he has never been aggressive, even under duress he was never aggressive, never during baths did he scratch or bite. He was the most patient cat I ever saw. He acted more like a dog than a feline, perhaps because the first year he was with me, he was constantly pal-ing around with my female Boxer Lucy. I can't even describe how stupid and guilty I feel for entrusting an organization such as HSPCA ( who claims to love and care for animals) with someone that meant so much and was so dear to me. I feel like I let him down completely and must live with this for the rest of my life. While he was just another number to the HSPCA . Please, if you have an animal that you truly care about and can't care for or keep anymore, please exhaust all other options before turning them into some shelter, and especially HSPCA. They will lie to you and kill your animal with some bogus reason.

An