House Of Brides / deceptive sales tactics-poor customer service

Schaumburg, IL, United States Review updated:

Avoid at all possible costs! Horrible
I ordered my 5 bridesmaid's dresses from hob over nine months before my wedding and was told there was plenty of time, no need for a rush order. I paid over $250 for each dress, in full, up front, and explained one dress had to be shipped to arizona for alterations, as bridesmaid was attending college in phoenix. I told them wedding was two weeks before actual date, figuring this would give me plenty of time to ship the dress and arrange for local alterations. Starting about eight weeks before the actual wedding, I stopped by and called repeatedly, only to be told not to come in again, they would notify me. Three weeks before the wedding I started checking every day. When I called in tears three days before the actual wedding date, I was advised dresses had finally come in, although the consultant yelled at me in front of the whole store, that they had been sitting at their dock over a week. Bridesmaid had to fly in early for alterations as there was no choice but to have hob do the alterations due to the delay. She literally finished her final exams and boarded the plane for chicago 2 hours later. One dress was ordered in a size 8, arrived as a size 2. Bridesmaid was a size 4. Dresses had a corset back and even though we loosened it as much as we could, I still couldn't get the zipper up!. Alterations were expensive. And the too small dress split down the back seam half way through the reception! Consultants are rude. Alterations staff are worse, like I purposely ordered the dress too small and waited until the last possible moment for alterations. They don't call, they don't follow up, wouldn't track the order, and every little thing is an added expense. All dresses were paid in full over nine months before the wedding, and there I was having to pick up the dresses the day before the wedding. I would suggest making your own dress out of a potato sack before you even try this place! Horrible, horrible, horrible.
Cj

Comments

An
  27th of Feb, 2009
I HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE AT HOUSE OF BRIDES!!!
THE PEOPLE WHO COMPLAINED ABOUT THIS PLACE, ARE THE KIND OF PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE
NEED THE CONSULTANTS TO BE THEIR SERVANTS AND PLEASE THEM IN EVERYTHING THEY NEED. YES YOU HAVE AN APPOINTMENT, BUT YOU CAN'T BE THERE ALL DAY. THEY HAVE MORE CUSTOMERS TOO NOT JUST YOU!! YOU HAVE TO TAKE A REASONABLE TIME FOR YOUR SHOPPING NOT 3-4 HOURS. THEY HAVE A LIMIT OF 2 OR 3 HOURS BUT NOT MORE THAN THAT. THERE ARE SOME BRIDEZILLAS OUT THERE.
I OVERHEARD A BRIDE WHO WANTED THE CONSULTANT TO DRESS HER AND UNDRESS HER WHEN SHE
HAD ALL OF HER FRIENDS INSIDE THE ROOM WITH HER. SHE WANTED A VEIL AND TIARA AND A GLASS OF WATER, SHE TOUGHT SHE WAS THE PRINCESS OF THE MOMENT OR SOMETHING! NOW THAT BRIDE WAS NEXT TO MY ROOM, I COULD TELL RIGHT AWAY WHEN I LOOKED AT HER FACE THE KIND OF PERSON SHE WAS. HIGH NOSE, KNOW IT ALL. SHE WANTED THE CONSULTANT TO BRING HER ALL THE VEILS SHE COULD TRY. SHE WAS CRAZY. SHE WAS THERE FOR A LONG TIME TOO!! MY CONSULTANT WAS REALLY NICE AND NOT PUSHY WHATSOEVER. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE NICE TO BE TREATED NICE. AS FOR PRICING, THESE ARE DESIGNER DRESSES AND ARE SPECIAL ORDERED NOT JUST SOLD AS IS LIKE DAVID'S BRIDAL. THEY ACTUALLY MAKE THEIR OWN DRESSES, THEY ARE NOT BY DESIGNERS. THAT IS THE BIG DIFFERENCE. NOW THE CONSULTANTS TELL YOU ALL THE COSTS AND YOU DECIDE IF YOU WANT TO GET THE DRESSES FROM THEM OR NOT. THEY ARE NOT FORCING YOU TO. MAYBE YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE BRIDEZILLAS WHO PANIC ABOUT ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING THAT MAY/MAY NOT BE WRONG. GOD BLESS YOU ALL BRIDEZILLAS. BUT DON'T BLAME IT ON THE CONSULTANTS AT HOUSE OF BRIDES.
Ja
  15th of Nov, 2010
I disagree completely. I scheduled my 1st fitting on October 16th where the tailor Joanna pinned it to fit me. I am 5'2 and needed the length to be adjusted. I also requested to have a bussle put in as well. On the day of my 1st fitting I had my mom, sister and Aunt with me. The tailor Joanna was so rude to my mom she didn't come back to the 2nd fitting. I scheduled my 2nd fitting to be on Nov 13th...a MONTH after the 1st fitting where everything was to be adjusted. I put my dress on and NOTHING was done! I asked Joanna why nothing was done. All she could say is that she works with so many brides and doesn't remember me. I told her that's not my problem. My wedding is in 2 weeks and I live 2 1/2 hrs away and need to have the dess completed NOW. Joanna never took responsibiilty nor appologized. She just yelled at me saying that she has a lot going on and that I don't understand! My sister talked to the supervisor who was very unapplogietic and said there was nothing they could do. After taking some initiative in the matter the manager brought out the card that Joanna used to take notes from the 1st appointment. The supervisor asked Joanna why the alteration weren't done after a month has gone by. Joanna only said she doesn't remember and started to yell somoe more. By this time I was freaking out because I couldn't come back to Chicago to get my dress fixed. They wanted me to come back a week later...a week before my wedding and promised it would be done by then. Thank goodness for my sister who made them work on my dress right then and there and said we would come to the store the next day to try it on. They made sure to add that it is a risk coming in when the tailor is not there on a Sunday and can't make any more adjustments. NO SH*T! They screwed it up and I had to take the risk. I went in the next day to try it on. The woman came over with my dress in a back and said "Here you go!" I said wait a min...I haven't tried my dress on since the alterations and I was told that I could. Gloria took a deep sigh and seemed annouyed to give any kind of customer service. She went so far to say that they are really busy and wasn't sure if she would help me. I said to her" Is this inconviencing you?" She said no...and eventually helped me. I was by myself and had to put my dress on and off with no help from her...who said she would help. I'm calling in the manager to try to get a refund on the alterations...but DO NOT GO THERE...THEY SHOULD BE PUT OUT OF BUSINESS WITH THE LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE THEY HAVE FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS. i AM GIVING THEM ONLY 1 STAR AND THAT'S BECAUSE I LOVE MY DRESS...THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE THERE WAS AWFUL AND WOULDN'T WISH IT ON ANYONE

House Of Brides Logo House Of Brides