Hotwire / I have been missold a hotel booking

San Francisco, CA, United States

I wanted to book a hotel in Amsterdam for my sister coming over from Australia.
I have always been very pleased with the savings I have been able to make using Hotwire in the past. All you need to know is where the hotel should be (by district), what star rating you want.
On 5 February I told Hotwire - via their online booking system - that I wanted a hotel in Amsterdam, Vondelpark Area and that it should be 4*.
The text on the page says this:
"This Hot Rate hotel is guaranteed to be one of the brand name hotels we partner with. Some of these brands include: Hyatt, Omni Hotels, Westin, Hilton."
This is the reason people use Hotwire - they get comfort from the fact that it will be a brand name hotel.
So I make the booking: [protected] and discover that I am staying in the Alfred Hotel, Cornelis Schuytstraat 58-60, Amsterdam and the first thing I do is go and google the hotel to see some photos etc.
I get here: http://www.thealfredhotel.com/en/ to find that the hotel actually only has 3* and is not part of a brand. It is an independent hotel.
I have checked the star rating out elsewhere: Booking.com only give it 3*, TripAdvisor give it 3.5* and Expedia give it a rating of "Good" and 3.8. Still not a 4* hotel by any of those ratings.

So, I have been missold on 2 counts - it is not a 4* hotel and it is not a brand name hotel - despite the wording on the website.

I called Hotwire Customer service who told me that they would not refund my booking (that is the risk you take with Hotwire in order to get the savings however you take the risk based on the star rating and brand name hotel guarantee...) and that they did not have the text on the website:

I have added a photo of the text on the webpage.

I have now escalated my complaint to a call back - they said within the next 3-5 days.

Hotwire