hotbooksale.com / smartsavingscenter.com / charged my credit card

1 CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 805-291-3189

On 12/14/08 I bought books from hotbooksale.com. Later that evening I got an email that said I was signed up for a savings program through smartsavingscenter.com. I think they are the same company. They had my credit card number, address and full name. The email stated that I had a free 7 day trial, that would then turn into 29.95 per month if I didn't call and cancel during the trial period.

The phone numbers on their email go nowhere. So, you can't call and cancel. I called my bank and cancelled my Debit card. There was already a $1 charge, sure to be followed by more. When I went to the website for more informaton they ask you to sign in with the login and password they gave me in the email. I was scared to give any more information, so I didn't pursue that any further. Also, I called hotbooksale.com. Same problem; the number goes nowhere. I doubt I'll even get the books I ordered.

As soon as the charge officially goes through, I will dispute it with my bank. I really hopes someone does something about this. So many people have fallen victim to this scam. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Ro

Comments

• Me
      5th of Jan, 2009

hotbooksale.com DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM THAT SITE. RIP OFF ARTISTS. THEY DID THE SAME THING TO ME. SIGNED ME UP FOR THIS MEMBERSHIP FOR 29.95. HAVEN'T BEEN BILLED FOR IT YET. BUT I WAS BILLED 1.00 AN I DISPUTED IT AN HAD IT REMOVED. THEY STINK. I CALLED AN CANCELLED MY BOOK AN MEMBERSHIP WITH MINUTES OF THE ORDER I FELT LIKE I WAS BEING SCREWED. SO THEY EMAILED ME A CANCELLATION WHICH I HAVE. THEN LATER THAT NITE I RECEIVED A 2ND EMAIL WELCOMING ME INTO THE MEMBERSHIP.

RIP OFF. WHEN I DID CANCEL THE BOOK WITHIN MINUTES OF THE ORDER THEY SAID IT HAD ALREADY BEEN SHIPPED. SO I KEPT THE BOOK. NO OTHER CHARGES AS OF YET . BUT I AM WAITING FOR CREDITS FROM OTHER COMPANIES SO I AM GOING TO CANCEL MY CREDIT CARDS AS SOON AS I RECEIVE THEM. I HOPE NOBODY ORDERS FROM THEM. TRUST ME GO TO BORDERS OR BARNES & NOBLE. MORE $ BUT NO AGGRAVATION. GOOD LUCK,

• Me
      24th of Jan, 2009

hi it mee again, an yes i was scammed by them also, they s__k. my card was stolen buy them online, since i made no other charges during xmas time except to them... so i cancelled it. i also cancelled this so called subscription for membership from them. an they emailed me the other day requesting new credit card info or my membership would be cancelled are they CRAZY...!!! I HAVE THE EMAIL FROM THEM CANCELLING MY SUBSCRIBTION & INTEND TO SEND IT TO THE ATTORNEY GENERALS OFFICE AN MY CREDIT CARD CO. SCAM SCAM SCAM. I WANT TO GO TO CALIFORNIA TO SEE THE ### AN SLAP'EM.. WARN OTHERS, YOU HAVE TO CANCEL YOUR CREDIT CARD OR THEY WILL BILL YOU EVEN IF YOU WERE LUCKY TO GET THRU TO THESE IDIOTS... CANCEL IT AN TELL THE CREDIT CARD CO.

• Sc
      7th of Feb, 2009

I ordered books in mid january 2009. I did not knowingly sign up for this smartsavings thing. My book order did not ship, and the company said it was an internal error in shipping and the order got sent back to the warehouse, so I would have to reorder, but they would honor the original $5 off deal. When I went to reorder, I couldn't get the discount, so I called and the person on the phone said a manager would have to call me back, which they never did. I never go the books, but in February, my statement showed the $1 followed by the $29.95 charge for the smartsaver (which I didn't order). I have cancelled that service and have an email confirming that, but they refuse to refund my money, citing that I agreed to the conditions of the order... which by the way were way down in the email telling me my membership password... so far down that if you don't scroll through the entire email you don't even realize you've been committed to this thing. Now I will dispute it with the credit card, but I fear I'm out $30 and got nothing for it. I'm a pastor and this is a church credit card, so these people have taken from God, not me. ... they have to answer to a much bigger authority than I or even the law. You don't steal from God!

• Ni
      19th of Jul, 2009
    hotbooksale.com / smartsavingscenter.com - misleading/fraudulent company
    hotbooksale.com / smartsavingscenter.com

I ordered a book recently from hotbooksale.com which was listed as "ships in 24 hours." This did not turn out to be the case. They do not even have the book in stock and they have written that they will try to get it within 28 days and if they cannot the order will be cancelled. I ordered this book because I am farily certain it is OOP and was surprised someone had it so I ordered immediately. To make things worse, when you order a book from them you are automatically signed up for a membership with smartsavingcenter.com, which is the same company actually, for $19.95 a month. This is not made very clear at all when you are ordering a book. So, I have canceled the membership and called them about the membership fee. They have refused to refund that fee and had the gall to tell me that I would not be charged for the book if they cannot find it for me! (which they will not because it is very difficult to find, and is going for hundreds of dollars on Ebay). Now I am concerned about future charges because these idiots have my debit card number, so I'll probably have to cancel my card and get another which is more grief. Avoid at all costs!

• Re
      30th of Nov, 2010

SAME AS ABOVE: rip off company signed me up without me knowing. I seldom read all the way to the bottom of those long small print emails about your order! They have taken a hundred or more dollars over the last few months until I finally hunted down what the charges were. Turns out the book deal wasn't such a deal after all!