Hotbooksale.com / Horrible company

This company is HORRIBLE! They secretly trick you into a $29.95 membership to some 'SmartSavingsCenter' club. They some how maneuver their wording so you have to call TWICE to cancel it or you'll be charged more.

And what's worse their merchandise NEVER CAME!!! There was some error with the zip code, the post office said they returned it to the sender, and who wouldn't believe the post office over this horribly unethical company. The company will not resend the books or give me a refund!

What's ALMOST amusing is their site claims 'hassle-free service'. I guess that may be true if any of their customer service reps spoke English, but untrue to us who can't understand other languages.

De

Comments

• Cu
      25th of Mar, 2009

I am enraged about this company's customer service, trickery, and manipulation. After purchasing a book that totaled $12.05, I was charged this bogus monthly fee. I first noticed this on my credit card statement, wondering as to who the heck this smartsavingscenter site was. I called them that day to cancel my newly found out about membership and to receive a refund for the unauthorized charges applied to my account. My membership was cancelled, and less than half of the charges were refunded back. I was told by their representative that I would receive an email confirmation about the remainder of my discount. I did not receive that email, or my refund. Soon after I called the company again, but I was told that the refund was declined, and that their manager wasn't available at the moment to speak to me. Today I called again, and was able to speak to someone in charge. Unfortunately, I was unable to retrieve my owed money. The lady referred me to her site (HotBookSale.com) and in attempt to justify their actions, told me to look at the banner on the home/main page. Ok, a banner that says nothing about an obligatory membership joining in order to use their site and to make an order. She told me "this is a membership only website"...then this should be clearly stated in large lettering. I wonder if they are getting tired or receiving the same type of phone calls on a daily basis. It is obvious that if their claims and terms were clear, than such large numbers of people wouldn't be manipulated into this oh so simple purchase that is accompanied by these types of hidden and unethical charges. I told the manager I spoke to that I have been ordering college text books online for many years now, and from different companies, but I have never had any such issues as I do with them. I am highly unsatisfied with this website, and I will never purchase from them again, and I will advise everyone I know NOT to purchase from them. Once they have your credit or debit card info, they will use that to their advantage and offer smartsavingscenter your info for this membership, charging you $29.95 and quite a few $1 charges as well. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM HOTBOOKSALE.COM OR THEIR AFFILIATED PARTNER SMARTSAVINGSCENTER.COM. Find a trusted website with positive feedback, good customer service, and honest practices.

• Re
      29th of Jun, 2009

SCAM!!! DO NOT BUY ANYTHING from this "book" store...it's nothing but a scam to charge your credit card for some membership fee, that's not stated until you receive your credit card bill...if they can charge your card for something that's fraudulent, what else will they do with your credit card information! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!! POOR customer service...no one answered my calls or replied my emails...

• Re
      29th of Jun, 2009

Now their new name is DiscountBookSale.com...they changed their name!! still partners with SmartSavingsCenter.com ...BEWARE!!!