Horizon Dental (Dr. Randall Califf) / Over-charges/ false information

1 12578 W. Sunrise Blvd., Sunrise, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 954-851-9829

Dr. Califf's insurance girl told me I would have to pay money "up front" for dental work to be done for my son and myself, even though we had coverage through the city. I paid in full with two credit cards, only to find out shortly thereafter (by my insurance company), that I had over paid by almost $400.00. I tried for two months to get a credit on my credit cards, but the insurance girl would never return my calls, "didn't have my chart", or "would have to call me back." I finally went to the credit card company with all the paperwork and verification of fees due from me from the insurance co. They, in turn, credited back the over charges onto my cards. At that time, all my families accounts were settled. (Dr. Califf had even telephoned me on my cell to inform me of the overcharges, and "his office would cut me a check or whatever I wanted". (At this point, it was settled by the credit card company.
Now, over a year later, I received a statement with accumulated late charges on it for $374.20 for those same overcharges, with the threat that if the statement wasn't paid within 3 days, they were going to turn it over to a collection agency. I telephoned Dr. Califf's office immediately, and AGAIN given the runaround, "have to call you back", "Dr. Califf isn't here", "the insurance girl isn't here", ect.
My other concern; Dr. Califf told me my daughter had 3 cavities and would have to have them filled. ("The girls at the desk will schedule you"), and he told me all my top molers were cracked. ("We'll have to probably cap those"..). I changed dentists shortly thereafter, and when I told him what Dr. Califf had said, he told me my daughter had NO cavities, and NO my molars had no cracks and were fine. My question is this: Is Dr. Califf doing unneeded work on his patients and overcharging them those amounts he's suppose to write off because he's in the network?? (This was obvious that he was doing this to me...how many others??How many of the elderly who are easily scammed, and how much needless work was being performed??09a3b
Would you please look into this, as I don't seem to be getting anywhere with his office.

Thank you for your time.
Mrs. Diane Angiolillo

More Horizon Dental (Dr. Randall Califf) Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Dr
      9th of May, 2010

I have been going to Dr.Randall Califf for 15 years. My family and I have had nothing but superior dental work in a friendly environment.

9th of May, 2010

Ms. Angiolillo,
    I am sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with Dr. Califf and his staff. My family and I have been going to Dr. Califf for many years and have nothing but great things to say about his staff and his work. Dr. Califf is a top notch dentist, and has always taken great care of me, my family, and my friends. His prices are always fair. I have never been over charged. My calls are always promptly returned. Above all, his dental work is top notch, he doesn't cut corners. I highly recommend Dr. Califf to anyone looking for a quality, friendly, and fair dentist.
    - Elliot Smith

12th of Aug, 2010

Dr. Califf is the best Dentist I have ever been to! Go see him today!

8th of Dec, 2010

I have been going to Dr.Randall Califf for years. My family and I have always had great experiences. Dr. Califf is the most painless dentist I have been to. His staff is super nice and friendly.

• Un
      10th of Mar, 2011

I agree with a part of your complaint. I, too, feel as if he's pushing services. I had another dentist tell me I did not have cavities only to go to Califf (because I changed insurance companies, and the new company did not cover the previous dentist), who avidly claimed that I had cavities.

• St
      24th of May, 2011

I recently moved to the area and needed to locate a dentist. I first went to Dr. Califf for a cleaning and a check up. Since then I have been back four times for different things. Each time I go back, Dr. Califf finds something additional that needs to be addressed (deep cleaning, cavity, replace an old filling, etc). It seems odd that these issues weren't noticed and communicated when I had my first visit/check up. On my last visit, I had an old filing replaced and had prepaid for the procedure on a prior visit. Once the filing was replaced, I was told by the receptionist that I owed additional monies since the Dr. had to drill on two surfaces of my tooth rather than one. I feel that the filing replacement was unnecessary and that I was overcharged. In addition, I think his office is poorly run and he's trying to accommodate too many patients at once. On one of my visits, I waited in an examining chair for over 45 minutes with no attention.
    - NotGoingBack

26th of Jul, 2012

I use to work for him, and yes, he us very dishonest!

26th of Jul, 2012

Sorry, he is, or should I say was very dishonest.(I use to work there) Very greedy for money. He used dishonest measures, to get rich. I handled the insurances so I know. I refused to write up treatment plans, because I refused to lie to those poor patients. Of course, since I
    would not follow, I became no good asset for his office. I hate dishonest measures, therefore my work days where miserable seeing those awful balances' made up by the office, because they feel the insurance is not paying enough. They add things that are not needed to get more money. Please please, "know" your benefits because what you don't know can hurt u! Love u all...

26th of Jul, 2012

Know your benefits, what u don't know will kill your pockets in that office.

26th of Jul, 2012

I am on a desk top now, sorry for all of the mispelled, and misused words. I do not wish bad on anyone, but to pull this up, and see someone complain about the very thing I know is true, was very breath taking for me. People, stop being desperate and Lazy, call your insurance companies, ask lots of questions, keep track of your procedures as far as, know Exactly what work you are getting done, and what's neccessary, and what's not. The amount the insurance will cover, and what they wont cover. Also, search on line to see if what the dentist is saying, matches up with what you REALLY need! Take precautions about your funds, because it is guaranteed that somebody else will. Enjoy your day.. **What u know about Love

• Tr
      13th of Oct, 2014

I was too trusting and allowed them to swipe my credit card with one of the old machines because they said the computer was down. Three months later that credit card had over $400. of fraudulent charges. It wasn't my everyday credit card, and I only used it at their office! I refuse to go back or let my daughter go back.