Hope Now Modifications / Fraud and lies

1 200 Lake East DriveCherry Hill, NJ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 856-6674020

n January 2009 we signed a legally binding contract with Hope Now Modifications, LLC for a loan modification with Countrywide, out mortgage holder.

A fee of $2, 100 was agreed with the fee to be split in two payments via debit of our checking account. The first portion of $1, 050.00 was debited 1-30-09 with the balance to be debited in late February.

Regular contact was established with Cassandra Peters of Hope Now Modifications, LLC and Ms. Peters assured the law firm of Kwasnik, Rodio, Kanowitz and Buckley was handling the negotiations.

In late February Ms. Peters advised we would be required to sign another debit authorization form and sent to me an authorization form on the letterhead of Kwasnik, Rodio, Kanowitz and Buckley. We signed the authorization and faxed the authorization to Ms. Peters. We were then contacted and advised a check by phone would be necessary as they were experiencing problems with Pay Pal, the source used for the debit transaction. They offered to reduce the fee by $100.00 to $2, 000.00 leaving the outstanding balance at $950.00. This was done in late February.

I was then unable to get in touch with Cassandra or anyone at Hope Now and contacted the law firm of Kwasnik, Rodio, Kanowitz and Buckley. I was then advised the modification was ongoing.

I have recently made in excess of 30 attempts by phone and e-mail to contact Ms. Peters and have been unable to establish contact. While I was at first able to leave a voice mail message for Ms. Peters, that option is no longer viable as her voice mailbox is “full". She has failed to respond to my e-mails yet the e-mails have not been returned as undeliverable, leading to the assumption the e-mail address is still valid and she has simply chosen to ignore my requests.

Per the terms and conditions of the contract, I have requested in writing refund of the $2, 000.00 retainer but have received no reply. The terms and conditions of the contract specified the refund request must be made in writing within 90 days of the signing of the contract. The contract was singed in late January 2009 and the refund request was made in writing and sent via fax and e-mail to Ms. Peters on April 7, 2009, well within the 90 days as specified in the contract. I have received no response.

I will also be filing a complaint with the New Jersey bar against Kwasnik, Rodio, Kanowitz and Buckley.

Al

Comments

• Il
      31st of Mar, 2009
    Hope Now Modifications - Fraud, fraud, fraud
    Hope Now Modifications
    hopenow.com

I had someone call me and want to help lower my interest rate on my house and all they did was take my money and not help me do anything!!! Their number was disconnected and no one is returning my calls to the other companies in other states with the same name!!

• Al
      13th of Apr, 2009

We too fell for the scam! We went through tough times after i was going through a rough pregnancy w/ twins - we had fetal surgery at 18 weeks and then bed rest in the hospital until they were delivered at 28 weeks - one passed at 4 days old. the other remained in the NICU for 9 weeks. My husband and i were out of work for quite a while and medical bills were piling up. We got severely behind. They gave us promises and took our $2300 and we saw nothing! I too want to get on board with a law suit! Luckily i knew something was not right and contacted my mortgage company directly - we managed to save our home but our credit is ruined after 4 months of not paying our mortgage at Hope Nows recommendation!

• Bu
      13th of Apr, 2009

I was ripped $1500. in December and they did nothing for me.I was promised a refund and now nonne there will talk to me.If anyone knows how to start a class action let me know.

20th of Apr, 2009

I too was scammed by these people and would like to know how I can get my money back so that I can use it to try and save my home. they were supposed to help me and now I am still fighting to keep me house, plus I am out a lot of money.

• Na
      20th of Apr, 2009

They scammed me out of $1500.There new attorney Spector Gadon & Rosen actually will return your call unlike the thieves they represent.I am making a point of showing up to court there next court date.Here is the phone number for the attorney.215-241-8888

• Wi
      23rd of Apr, 2009

My wife and I were also taken advantage of during hard times. I lost my job and they said that they would be able to help us and all it would cost us was one months payment that was $1400.00. They never contacted our mortgage lender and we were about to loose our house at the foreclosure sale and we contacted our lender and worked things out with them but now we are out of our money. I have tried numerous attempts to call these people and finally talked with someone and they said that we would get a refund within 30 days and it is now going on 3 months later and still no money and now no answers. If you get a lawsuit going I also would like to get on board. This has to stop !! They are taking advantage of people during these rough time.

• Da
      23rd of Apr, 2009

Unfrickin beleiveable!! They scammed us to. This is horrible. Contact FTC and file a complaint!!! My story is exactly the same. Best of luck to all of you. May karma get them!!! deannar@frontiernet.net

• Da
      23rd of Apr, 2009

This is horrible. They got so many of us. Let me know if there is a law suit. Defintaly want on that bandwagon!!! Best wishes to everyone who was scammed!

• Ig
      24th of Apr, 2009

Well I see iam not alone!! they got me too. I am a military sailor and was told yeah we got you and everything is ok november. I am deployed to afghanistan still and my neighbor was checking my mail and email me the info that I had a forclosure letter. so I am going like what. so I had my friend call them and after about 100tries literly she finally got through and they still havent refunded me either and that was about 2 months ago. like I told them if they had refunded my money maybe I could have talk to my lenders and work something out. but they lead on like everything was ok and they were negoitating. I should had saw this comming because when they took my $1500 payment the actually took $2500 and said they only took $1500. so it was crazy from the get go getting my $1000 back. but can someone email me what the ftc is because I would really like to make a complaint too. and if anyone got any advice on if I have any legal rights /advice to keep my house since I am deployed please email me at
    Pettyofficer1974@yahoo.com

Any and all help would be greatfully appreciated. good luck and god bless all of you

• Ro
      27th of Apr, 2009

I too was screwed by them, now my house is about to beforeclosed. I hope my mortgage company will work with me. There should be a law suit against them. I'll be on board no problem.

28th of Apr, 2009

They have scammed me also... i'm still waiting for my 1, 500.00 dollar refund... from what I have read here, I need to get a lawyer... if there's a lawyer out there filing a class action suite against those crooks I would like to sign up... I signed up with hope now modification llc in january, 2009.. as of this date I haven't heard from them, nor can I reach them by phone... I 'm not giving up because i'm sure there is hope somewhere. but it's not with hope now modification llc in cherry hill new jersey..., nogaisrael2@charter.net

• Tm
      28th of Apr, 2009

We are not sure if we were scammed or not. We also went through Hope Now Mortgage. We were referred by our existing mortgage company Ocwen. We have not received any calls back and also paid $1400. When we email them forms, at their request, it always comes back as a mail delivery error. I know there are scam mortgage companies using the same name, so we are in limbo with this. It's been almost three months and our house is in foreclosure.

My email address: tmoschella1@yahoo.com

Please don't write me concerning home loans, or help with my mortgages. Because after this we won't pay any more money except to rent an apartment or another house.

I'm interested in a law suit as well. If anyone would like to write to me regarding this, please don't hesitate

• Wi
      28th of Apr, 2009

Yes, I agree that we all should get together on this and put a stop to it. We need to take action against this company and see if we can get our hard earned money back. If any of you are interested please contact me at roywag2003@yahoo.com. Thanks

• Ry
      30th of Apr, 2009

Also scammed for $2100. Same story as the rest of you. I am in Virginia Beach. We filed a complaint with the BBB in NJ. The BBB said that Hope Now Mod has until today to respond to our conplaint, which I am sure they will not do. I can't beleive that there are people that prey on those of us who are trying to get our finances in order, so we don't become another forclosure statistic. If you hear anything let me know. ryanvan@cox.net

• Up
      30th of Apr, 2009

Oh my gosh...looks like they got another one. We signed with them back in jan with a Timothy Tonczyczyn, $1500, which we really didn't have. We received a letter in the mail today from an attorney's office in reference to start of foreclosure. I had lost my job, so we are pretty far behind, but was told they could help us. Cannot reach timothy and were told a while back that he no longer was with the company, but his extension still works, but is full. We cannot fax them the paperwork from the attorney's office and I cannot reach anyone. Even the email they give due to so many calls, customercare@hopenowmod.com, keeps coming back. I am sick now and so scared. I don't want to loose my home. I pray that it is not too late for us!!! We are in North Carolina!

• Li
      1st of May, 2009

We too were scammed out of $1, 000. We were working with Paul Soutar, who of course is no longer returning calls. I put in a request for a refund, which is written in the contract, but have heard nothing. This is sad that they let you believe there is hope out there, and just take your money. I just hope everyone gets their money back and they get whats coming to them.

• Mi
      2nd of May, 2009

I was scammed 2800.00 I wont get into details, but pretty much the same as the other complaints. well fellow scammed partners. I am now really close to loseing my home. although obama came out with his loan mod program to help some of us with fannie may or freddie mac loans, to be honest I didnt know what kind of loan I had I did know it was one that I couldnt afford paying due to my pay cut of 1500.00 a month back in october of 2008. so I called my lender ocwen and due to my surprise I have a freddie mac loan. I am currently working with my lender now. heres how it works if your net gross monthly income is higher than 31% to 38% of your monthly mortgage payment which inludes taxes and home insurance, and you can prove lose of salary than the lender may be able to help and they do get payed from the government for this process.in order for the lender to get your payment down to the 31% to 38% they can lower your percentage rate down as low as 2% and stretch the loan as far as 40 years out. which ever it takes to get it done and it includes propery taxes and insurance. these loan mods are not pemanent I had a friend that just completed one and he got 4% and 30 years stretch to get his payment down, but for a five year period. and then at the fith year the percentage rate goes to what ever the fixed rate is at that time, so that gives us time to pay some dame bills off. so call your lender today even if you dont have a freddie or fannie may loan they can reduce your % rate. stretch12336@yahoo.com

• Ge
      4th of May, 2009

We were scammed to - of $1500.00 dollars. we had robert simon as our counsler. we have to go to court on the 21st of this month so we find out our sale date of our house — hope we can talk to the judge, and get the sale date dismissed - so we can keep our house. the complaints are the same as the others... we are mad and going to the bbb — to see if we can get a refund!!! heap05@aol.com

• Ro
      4th of May, 2009

My loss was 2, 000. The kicker to that is I called Countrywide to make sure this was a company that they deal with on a regular basis and they assured me that they were. Don't know where to go from here.

• Pa
      5th of May, 2009

i to was scamed not once but twice once from homestead protection and second from hope now from new jerssey, please someone tell me how you cane tell me if they are for real between the to companies im out of2400 dollars who cane i contact to try to get my money back