Hooters / discrimination

Saginaw, MI, United States Review updated:

Four of my co-workers and myself went to Hooters. 4 of us ordered mixed drinks(which were terrible) and one ordered a mug of beer. We also ordered 100 wings along with 2 pitchers of beer. We were told that until we finished our mixed drinks that they could not serve us our beer. after inquiring as to why we were told that it is a michigan law that states that they can not have liquor and beer on the same table. I called the Hooters in Bay City, Mi. and spoke to a district Manager who stated he has not heard of such a law. However management and the district manager at the Saginaw location stated that Michigan law staes that they can not double serve. I would like to know if there is such a law. being that i have been a resident of michigan for 21 years and have never heard of it. If this was Hooters policy i could understand. It is nowhere posted, and if this is a policy, then why doesn't all hooters follow it. I was told ther was no one else i could talk to and was directed to the Hooters hotline. can someone tell me is this a case of discrimination or am I just going crazy.

Comments

• Xe
      Mar 18, 2010

I think it's a case of someone looking to give others a hard time ... I've never heard of such a law anywhere and never been anywhere that you couldn't have beer and liquor on the same table. I don't think it's you going crazy, I think the servers at that Hooters have gone nuts.

Mar 18, 2010

Why don't you contact the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control in the County you reside in?
    They are the ones that issue the license to serve Liquor to establishments. They also enforce all the
    laws as well.
    If you think that your rights have been violated they also investigate the establishments. But, to have
    them go out there and investigate they definitely would require more than one complaint.
    Also report to the BBB, in the local area and to the chamber of commerce. They should give you an apology
    through BBB or your complaint in the BBB's books does stay for quite sometime.
    Keep us updated!!!

Goodluck

• Re
      Mar 30, 2010

I personally think your a stupid ### along with the other commentors. Call the ABC board, any restaurant has the right to deny service of alcohol for any reason or no reason whatso ever. Drinking is a privilage in an establishment not a constitutional right ### sticks... Hooters is a restaurant not a bar... you will not be double stacked drinks as this is a violaiton and can get just about any establishment fined or their liqour license revoked... So go ahead and make a big stink about it because no body is going to do anything about it... sincerely

realistic feedback guy

Mar 30, 2010

Okay realistic man, I was just stating in my "stupid ###" comment that I had never heard of such law. I've been to Hooters and have been at a table where we were drinking beer and mixed drinks so I was just basing off what I have experienced. So if there is something about the "double stacking" drinks than I apologize but I've never experienced anything like that.

• Re
      Mar 31, 2010

awesome dude!

Apr 28, 2010

I'm not a dude

May 20, 2010

You both are sick...drunkards...without a life..who are imposing your own opinions..

May 20, 2010

no you are not dudes but both of you are PUNKS for sure... now cry..cry babies.

• Wa
      Jun 07, 2010

Well, as a matter of fact it is up to the waitress' discretion weather she serves you a mixed drink as well as a beer. At any restaurant, waitress are trained not to do this, because there is a stipulation of double serving drinks that comes along with the liquor license of a restaurant. However a lot of factors come into play, if you are have already been drinking before you entered the restaurant, if you have eaten, how long you have been sitting at the table, etc. Miss Catherine, I can guarantee that your waitress was not discriminating against you, only using what experience she has had with serving past customers. Maybe she had just gotten in trouble for over serving someone and she was being careful. Who knows, whatever the case, you can be denied service for any reason at all.