HomEQ / UnAmerican, disrepectful customer service, illegal practices

1 PO Box 13716Sacramento, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1800-795-5125

I have owned several homes in my life and have always enjoyed being treated like a human being. Unfortunately, my loan was sold to Homeq and they will not sell it! I despise having my loans bounced around from company to company but this is one time I pray every day for my loan to be sold to another company. I believe even if my loan was with a pack of wild savages I would be better off. First of all, good luck if you can even speak to someone who has a command of the English language. Homeq obviously contracts their help from countries where knowledge of English and democracy is not a priority. I have never in my entire life been treated so horribly when calling this company for the most mundane things. Recently, I suffered a brain hemorrage after giving birth shortly after my husband returned from Iraq. Since waiting for long term disablilty to come through (which is another American tragedy), we have fallen behind on our mortgage by two payments. We were originally lied to about getting a loan modification and filled out pages of paper work and faxes to get a verbal approval and then a rejection. Now the company is sending us foreclosure papers and refuses to work with us. I am a doctorate of education and a school principal, my husband is a decorated army officer and this is what we have come to...about to lose our most prized possesion on the basis of greed and being treated like a number. I have never depised a company of people this much. Their business practices have to be approved from the top down because it is consistently bad. I have been hung up on, told they were not going transfer my call to a supervisor and threatened. One young lady who disguises herself as Magurita M07 told me she would try to make sure I never got a modification because of my attitude. My husband and I have nothing to lose. We are goinbg to go to the press and see if someone will hear our story and help us. I would love to participate ina class action suit.

Comments

• Be
      17th of Oct, 2007
    HomEQ - Homeq trying to take my home!
    Homeq

I refinanced my home with Decision One on 8-29-2005. I paid my insurance for a year. On my mortgage taxes and insurance were to be paid with an escrow acct... Acknowledgment of Loan Terms and benefits. Decision One sold my mortgage to Wachovia with the same terms and conditions,HomeQ did the servicing,thats when the first problems started... when it came time to renew my insurance my agent notified me that homeq didn't pay the bill... I notified them and they told me it was my responsibility... I argued with them,but it did no good... they took out a policy and over charged me..I paid my insurance on my own and told them to cancel the other policy... they did but still charged me.
    This year the same thing... I called and they said they would look into it... and the person I talked to found that yes the taxes and insurance were included in my escrow acct..3 months later I found that they didn't pay it... they took out a policy for $1,519.48... I was in the middle of closing my business that I had for 21yrs... and guess I was paying attention... I continued to pay my mortgage every month on time... (for2yrs never was late)... then I was out of work for 3 months... I fell 2 months behind... then made a payment... so it would have made me 1 month behind... I called and said the following 3 weeks I would be current... they said I was 4 months behind because my June and July payments were used for fees...WHAT FEES... Even though again I got insurance and paid on my own they still didn't properly credit my acct... They want another $702. this is insane.they already charged me $1,519... for 6 months... the women I talked to told me any money I sent in wouldn't be applied to my payments... only to fees and I should sell my house... I do have an ARM which did jump... but they figured in there insurance and late fees and said my payments would be $1,889... a month... I received the new about in Aug for 1,382 a month if I paid the escrow shortage... the next day 8-3-07 I received a letter that says I have an escrow surplus of $151.36...

Beware!

28th of Nov, 2007

If you need to voice your complaints and get something done, you must call the COO of the company. His number is listed below. I am in a situation with HomeQ where my home is going to foreclose because we are short $2800. They will not approve a shortage of $2800. So instead of getting 140,000 they want the full $142,800. We of course cannot come up with the money, so it will foreclosure. So please, do me a favor, call the piss out of this man and let him know just how you feel! Oh, and if you get his voicemail, press 0 then # to get his assistant. Good luck everyone!

Keith Becker COO - HomeQ Servicing
    916-339-6134

Press 0# to get his assistant, she actually answers the phone.

• Re
      23rd of Jul, 2008

Contrary to what some people have said on here, I am not trying to be one of those people I mentioned above. My company is a nationwide company that provides services for people that are at the end of their rope. One of the helpful things that we provide is letting you know, before payment for service, if we can assist you and if we can not. If we can not, we tell you why not and what can be done to allow our company to assist you. Most companies won't do that, but we will also give you the reasons why exactly so that, if you should choose a different service, they will not be able to scam you. Now that's a way of saving money too.

• Li
      4th of Dec, 2008
    HomEQ - Mortgage Loan
    Homeq Servicing
    Phone: 314-991-7778

HomEq has destroyed our lives. My husband and I had never been behind on a mortgage payment in 21 years. When our loan was sold to Homeq they told us that we were behind by 2 payments. We were told when we signed our original loan that we did not have to make a payment for the first 60 days. HomEq said that didn't affect them. We didn't have the back payments and so they refused to take our other payments, forcing us into foreclosure. They finally agreed to a forbearance and set up an unreasonable amount of $5068.oo with a down payment of $10, 000.00 We have adheared to this begging and borrowing from family thinking it would be over in 3 more months.
    Suddenly our rate adjusts and they now want $7700.00 a month for 3 months. When I tell them that impossible they don't care one woman told me to pack my bags.
    Their constant calls even before a paymant is due, their rudeness and their need to inform you "that they are a debt collector calling to collect a debt" has put me close to a nervous breakdown. My stomache hurts everyday. I wish I had never heard their name. With all of the bailouts from the government for companies. Where is my bailout to get away from HomEq. If you ever hear their name, save yourself and your family and run as fast as you can the other way.

• Ni
      12th of Dec, 2008
    HomEQ - Terrible everything
    HomEq
    homeq.com

Call the Supervisor of the Consumer Relations Department, Bill Bannister at 916-339-6132 if you want some help getting misreporting off of your credit, OR if you just can't get through to anyone else who works there at the regular toll free number.

These thieves have made our life miserable and I am doing my best to get the contact information of the people who matter most at HomEq out there to the public so those 'high up's' in the company can really know just how screwed up HomEq REALLY IS. Good luck dealing with them. They are trashy, unprofessional and uncaring.

22nd of Jan, 2009
    HomEQ - Worst morgage company
    Homeq
    Massachusetts
    homeq.com

This morgage company does not care about people or anything else but getting their money. I'm starting to think that they don't even care about their clients because I know that they have to be lossing money by forclousing all this houses. I know that nobody wins in a forcloesure but they still are not trying to work with people who i'm sure would be glad to make payments if they would just work with them. I have been paying $1700 for the morgage which is hard enought for me to make since I no longer live in the property and haven't been able to rent it for that amount and they just sent me a letter saying that is going to go up next month. I have already talk to them and even sent them a letter letting them know that my interest is too high and that i'm not able to make those high payments and all they did was sen me a letter back saying that they are going to work on my case in the order that it was receive which probably means never.

• Ca
      4th of Mar, 2009
    HomEQ - Broken Laws
    HomEq Servicing

Feb 19 – After 2 weeks of phone conversations with HomEq and myself and my husband, they offer a repayment plan to my husband, which my husband agrees to, based on our planned/hoped for future earnings (we are both unemployed) – and states that before he makes a payment, they must send the agreement in writing so he can review it. They asked for my checking account information, but did not state why, and he assumed it was necessary information for the agreement. We were very clear with HomEq about this: We are both unemployed. I receive $400 a week after reviewal of my case (I pick up temporary work when I can), and my husband was going to California to pick up side work until he could get on a crew in Washington, which would probably happen in April. We were very upfront about our situation.

We get 3 more phone calls demanding payment from HomEq.

Feb 27 – We receive in the mail, a notice that HomEq intends to debit my checking account $1600 on March 4. I call and attempt to explain that they are not authorized to do this, they argue (as usual) and do not let me finish my sentences (as usual). I tell them that prior to any payment being made, we required a copy of the agreement in writing – and no such written anything has arrived. I tell them if they attempt to take the money without my authorization I will report the money as stolen to the bank. I ask to hear the phone conversation with my husband. They refuse. I hang up- because the woman is impossible. Call my husband and verify what he told me.

Mar 2 – I receive the written agreement in the mail. It is dated February 19. My husband mails the first payment to them, via cashier’s check, according to the instructions he has and the address he was given. The first payment is due Friday March 6.

Mar 3 – I receive a notice from a legal firm in Burnsville that the house has gone into foreclosure. I call my husband. I call HomEq and am told that the referral went to the Lawyer on February 19 and it takes sometimes several weeks to rescind. The clerk is a jerk anyway. He can’t tell me how it is that we made an agreement on the 19th, and the letter from the lawyer is dated February 28. He assures me that we are not in foreclosure, that the rescind had been sent and will be corrected.

My husband calls HomEq and is told that I cancelled the payment plan (not) and that is why the referral was sent to the lawyer. He is also told that they don't need my authorization to debit our bank account, because he gave them the account number it is assumed that they will be debiting the account. He points out that the due date was the 6th, not the 4th, as stated in the debit notice. The clerk refuses to tell him anything else because he is not on the mortgage (why did he sign papers?). This is a violation of Minnesota law.

I call the lawyer and am told that they received the referral on Thursday, February 26. This was the day before I called to tell them they couldn’t steal my money --- and a full week after he verbally made the repayment agreement. Also, several days prior to getting the written agreement as requested. The lawyer puts me on hold, checks the file and tells me that the rescind has been received, to ignore the letter.

My husband gets my social and calls HomEq – the woman tells him that the foreclosure will go through unless they receive payment. She tells him that the postal date on the envelope doesn’t matter – if the money is not there on Friday, the lawyer will proceed. She also tells him that she can not discuss the account with him because he is not on the agreement (he made the agreement, not me).

Mar 4 – I attempt to call at 7:20am (PST=5:20am), their letter states their hours as 5am to 9pm PT. The phone message says they are closed, hours at 6am to 6pm. I want to tell them they are in violation of Minnesota law (refusing to deal with my husband) and that they need to get their story straight. I also want to tell them that I have verified with my bank that they can not take money from our account, whether we gave them the number or not, without authorization. They must ask us clearly: Will you authorize a payment by debit from account ####, and we must clearly state yes.

First of all – it is unbelievable that every single time we call we get a different clerk. We have to repeat ourselves over and over and over again. Several times a day.

Secondly, they are not well trained. AmeriQuest pulled these same tactics (refusing to speak with me) – and I believe it is a violation in Minnesota for them to refuse to speak with the spouse.

Thirdly, they don’t seem to keep records of the conversations they have – and they change their stories often (all the time). I do not believe they record conversations at all. That is just a scare tactic, as are many of the things they say.

4th - I only learned last year that HomEq was a servicer - but I was not told until recently who actually held my mortagage. It is not stated anywhere in my papers (Barclay).

5th - Last fall, they were calling daily - demanding personal information from me - such as, why aren't you working, how come you aren't getting assistance (one clerk called me a liar when I told her I was turned down), told me to contact United Way (did, they didn't help) and HUD (did 3x they didn't help either). I told them the same thing every time - you aren't entitled to this information, quit asking. When I get a job, you'll be the first to know because I"ll make a payment just to get you off my back.

I did file a complaint with the Attorney General regarding the debit - but I have no faith that will go anywhere, they actually messed up on the penalties issue - and made it worse.

I can not believe someone doesn't have a class action lawsuit against this company. They are they absolute worst I have ever had to deal with in my life. I am amazed that someone hasn't gone after them before now.

• Me
      7th of Mar, 2009

that is so true this morgage companies don`t care about us they just care about about their own pockets, if we ask them to lower the interst they always hae no answer for us

• Me
      7th of Mar, 2009

is destroying my life too, me and my husband has no problems just the bank and money, america why u r destroying our life? just be fair if our houses are not worth it now lower our interst rate

• Dr
      18th of Mar, 2009

I agree with you. I had big problem with those guys, they even sold my property on auction, but after my couple of days they realize it was wrong because of I had agreement with them. I hope this company will be closed very soon.

• Ra
      24th of Mar, 2009
    HomEQ - Unauthorized charges
    HomEQ
    homeq.com

This company has continued to raise the interest rate on the house knowing that my husband has not had a lot of work... I have been at my job for 1 year and 3 months and still am making $7.50.. They knowing all of this and keep moving up so that we are unable to make the payments... We are 4 months behind and the house needs major repair.. built in 1946 and built of adobe... It has been very poorly maintained and is falling apart at the walls... We have taken pics. of most of the repairs... They called my husband the other day and he told them he just started a part time job.. They say, ' This is all something you should have planned for when you got the house... ' They also laughed at him... LITERALLY LAUGHED at him... and told us to do a quick sale.. NOT what we want to do..!!! Hopefully I will get some pics. to put in here!!! And you tell me you would pay 750.00 for a house of approx. 950 sq ft. and in poor repair.. also the value put on the house was 73, 000.00 more or less!!

• Po
      27th of Mar, 2009

A lot of people are going through difficult times right now. A lot of people aren't working as much as they used to, but you still have to take care of you bills. The mortgage companies don't just raise the interest rate to whatever they want to so that you can't pay it. Stop and think for a moment. That's illogical. Check your loan documents. It's most likely tied to a 6 month LIBOR. Figure out what your margin is (by looking at your loan documents), then find out what the current index rate is, add them up, and that should give you your current interest rate. As far as repairs go, your responsible for those. You neglecting the property has nothing to do with lender. It's like buying a car and you don't change it's oil, then complain when it breaks down. I'm not sure what your argument is there. As far as paying $750.00 for a property that's worth $73, 000.00? Sounds like a deal to me.

• Ca
      6th of May, 2009

State contact restrictions change based off of the state...so, no, just because you're married doesn't mean you can talk to them, and sometimes it changes. I deal with F.D.C.P.A. guidelines for work, and also have my mortgage serviced by Homeq, whom I adore.

• St
      3rd of Aug, 2009
    HomEQ - Bad company
    HomEq
    homeq.com

Homeq is saying that we missed 13 months over a period of 5 years. now how could that happen if you are in bankruphy and the court makes sure that you make your payments. They change due dates without even letting you know about it. Also I haven't received a statement from them in 3 months. Bad company to deal with.

• Ad
      13th of Apr, 2010
    HomEQ - Does not tell the truth!
    HomeQ

Homeq said that they had all the paperwork completed to make a decision concerning a modification on my loan...they told my they would get back to me ASAP with final decision...I received a letter today informing me that they do not have all the paperwork..therefor, they will not do a modification on my loan...All the work I did to comply with Homeq servicing was nothing more than an exercise in futility!!! I was not late on any payments and my interest rate is 9% per annum---I believe this rate is to high----I guess thay want the home back so they can suck another poor sucker in to their financial web...

28th of Oct, 2010
    HomEQ - Liars, fraudulent practice
    HomeQ

Back in 2009 we defaulted due to loss of income. We called Homeq to try to resolve this just before the trustee sale. After giving them $10, 000.00, we were able to do forbearance agreement. It was very difficult paying over $3, 000 per month by a certain date. I asked on several occasions if we could do a loan modification. They told us that was not possible because we would not qualify with the information that we gave them. To just keep paying the amount agreed upon for a year and it will ok. Then one month I was late in paying them, the payment was due on 7-27-2010 (my mothers funeral) I missed and did not pay them until 8-10-2010 via western union. I did not hear anything from them (I should have called) Then on 8-28-2010 I received a letter from Western Union (not homeq)for me to come and get my money that Homeq denied my payment. I then called them on Aug 30th since I could not reach them until then. They then told me that I broke contract on August 10 therefore they returned my money. And that we went back into foreclosure, but let see what we can do. They then told me that we qualify for a loan modification. I asked him why now when I had asked on may occasions if we could do a loan modifiaction. He didn't know. But he faxed me the paperwork but he said to get the paperwork in asap because the loan is being transferred to Ocwen on Sept 1. So I did on august 31 I sent the paperwork in and then on Sept1, I received in the mail an eviction notice from an investor that they bought my property at a trustee sale on August 27th. It has been an nightmare ever since. Cannot seem to contact Homeq since they are now gone, and Ocwen washes their hands of this situation. And now Iam trying to negotiate with the new buyers of the property. They are a not being very cooperative and I really cannot find out much about them. But now Iam having to go to court to appeal the unlawful detainer to vacate this property. We have been here for 30 years and our lives have been turned upside down because of these people and their unlawful and deceitful practices. I then called the trustee who sold this prpperty and they told me that Homeq told them on August 9th to sell the property. I say this is a breach of contract on their part since I did not break contract until August 10th. I don't know where this is going to lead but if anyone brings charges or suing them for these practices, I would like to know, or be part of the suit.

I think that maybe Barclays Capital the parent company needs to answer these charges and be held responsible for the actions of their other lending service companies. (i.e. Ocwen Serviceing aka Ocwen Fed Bank, etc.)