Homeland Housewares - The Magic Bullet / unethical online selling practices

I started the ordering process for the magic bullet blender through the homeland housewares website. I decided the product too costly after shipping and other charges (I was at check-out page at this point, ) so I closed the web page. I DID NOT CONFIRM PURCHASE, but my credit card info was already entered (this was necessary to see the total price). I was billed for and received the product without any email confirmations before the product was shipped, so I had no opportunity to cancel the order. I have to stress this: there was no 'order received' or 'order processed' confirmation emails. The only email I got was after the product had been shipped. This can't be an accident, so I am not willing to incur any of the cost of rectifying it. That is, I will not pay to ship the product back to the company and then hope to get my money back. After what happened, I have no reason to believe I would ever see any of my money if I did that. I sent them a message through the customer service interface on their website over a week ago, but got no response yet.

Zu

Comments

• Bu
      18th of Apr, 2009

Reading your complaint, I thought someone had copied me word for word! I have the exact issue with ordering online. In addition, when you put your credit card information and you go to the next page, it has several boxes already checked, that if you do not "uncheck" them, you have purchased other products. I unchecked a couple items but missed one regarding the Magic Bullet Booster weight loss product. At that point I decided to back out of the entire process using the large blue arrow at the upper left corner. At no time did I feel that I had ordered anything at that point and had backed out of the process. There were no confirmations, online or by email stating that I had made a transaction. I've ordered a lot of things over the internet so I'm not "new" to the process. A couple days later, I received an email saying that my Magic Bullet and Protein Booster had been shipped! I was floored! I called customer service immediately and I was told that unfortunately for me there was nothing they could do about it since it had already been shipped. When I complained about their website and the functionallity of it ordering the product erroneously...I was told that their online ordering works differently than most sites. Once I keyed in my credit card number, whether I backed out of the page or not, it will place the order. They said all I can do is to accept the product when it arrives, call customer service to get an RA number then send it back! Unfortunately, I'm out of the extremely high shipping and handling fee of almost $48.(from CA to WA) I refused the package before it arrived to my home by notifying my Post Office. Now I'm trying to work with my bank or anyone else who will listen to get a FULL refund since I feel that I did NOT order the product and shouldn't have to pay for the shipping since I refused delivery. I will let you know what happens.

• Lo
      12th of Jun, 2009

Yes. They are cheats. You need to get your credit card company involved. There is a fair chance that you can get the bums to send you a call tag. But you may have to consider sending the junk back just to prove your good intentions. though i would resist that!
    Keep in mind, in some cases, such as mine, the credit card company will not be able to help. Housewares cheaters insisted I had ordered the 'Fat Buster' and will not refund my money.
    this is one of the worst companies in America, and we must get the word out!
    Good Luck!

• Hi
      18th of Jul, 2009

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY DID TO ME. I ENTERED MY CREDIT CARD THEN BACKED OUT WHEN I SAW THE PRICE AND WENT BACK IN TO REDO THE ORDER THINKING I DID SOMETHING WRONG AND IT SAID I ALREADY PLACED MY ORDER. SO I IMMEDIATLY TRIED TO CALL ON THE NUMBER THEY SUPPLIED AND IT WAS BUSY BUSY BUSY!! SO I SENT THEM AN EMAIL. 3 DAYS LATER I GOT A SHIPPING CONFIRMATION!! SO WHEN I RECEIVED IT I TOLD THE POST OFFICE TO RETURN TO SENDER. I DISPUTED IT WITH THE CREDIT CARD BUT THEY SAID SINCE I HAVE NO PROOF THEY CAN NOT ISSUE A REFUND. SO IM STUCK PAYING $150.00 FOR NOTHING. I AM REPORTING THEM THO THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION @ FTC.GOV . THEY HAVE AN UNORDERED MERCHADISE LAW. IF YOU RECEIVE UNORDERED MERCHADISE IT IS A GIFT AND YOU CAN DO AS YOU WISH WITH IT AND THEY CAN NOT CHARGE YOU. THIS DEFINATLY FALLS UNDER THAT..

• Hi
      18th of Jul, 2009

ANOTHER WEB PAGE TO REPORT THE MAJIC RIPOFF BULLET IS www.ic3.gov . THAT IS A GOVERMENT WEB PAGE FOR INTERNET CRIME COMPLAINTS

• Mo
      25th of Jul, 2009

I ordered the magic bullet, I have had no problems with the website, and the product works as it claims to. The ordering process was actually very easy, as long as you read it before hitting next. Many websites are like this now for ordering online, all it takes is a little extra work to read the fine print which most peoplr gloss over. This is a very good product and it does sit on my counter because I use in plcae of several other appliances, just like the ad states.

• Ss
      15th of Sep, 2009

M name is Shawn Stopper. I live at 400 Lycoming Street Apt 510, Williamsport, PA 17701 570-321-9494. I am disswatisfied with the Magic Bullet!! It pureed anything that I dealt with!! I am awaitng a response!! My email is: shawn_stopper@msn.com and I would love to hear you respond!!

Thank you!
    Shawn Stopper

• Tb
      19th of Sep, 2009

Wow .. this just happened to my room mate ... the mail person just delivered two huge boxes to the door. My room mate says he looked at the website and they ask you for credit card information and then tell you the cost. When you back out they still have your credit card information and send you the product and say that you did order it. They want $75.00 to ship it back. If any one can do something about this company and its practices then please do it ... do not even look at the website ... spread the news ... you will be ripped off royalally ... and they say there is nothing you can do about.

• Kr
      22nd of Sep, 2009

This just happened to me
    I was on the website august 23rd 2009 and now have been billed on September 19 2009
    I contacted my credit card company and they told me to fill out the dispute form form them.
    I hope I get my money back.

• Te
      17th of Oct, 2009

This happened to me as well. When I made my initial order, they asked me I wanted their Fat Burning Boost. I checked no, but received a so called complimentary packet of it. The next thing I know, I'm charged $67.00 for the stuff and it shows up on my doorstep. The first time I let it go because I was moving and didn't have time to deal with it. I just received an email on October 12th stating they where send another package and I would be chared $67.00 for the stuff. I sent an email to their customer service department explaining that I never order the stuff and I did not want them to send this one out. They never responded to my email. Yesterday I was chaged $67.00 for the stuff. So today I called them and spoke with a customer service representative and told him I did not order nor did I want to have to pay for it. He told me that it was a continuity order that since they sent me the complementary package I would receive the shipment every sixty days. I asked him if I could return the product for a refund and I was told no, it could not be returned or refunded. I explained to him that I clearly marked on the internet form that I did not request to receive this fat burning boost that I was 5'7" and weighed 115 lbs. and I didn't have a need for it. His response was "Good For You" but there is no refund. I told him that I clearly did not mark that I wanted the stuff, I actually printed the online form off when I ordered it and it showed that I did not order their product I didn't feel that I should have to pay for something I didn't order. He told me that I had to have marked that I wanted it or wouldn't have received it. Once again, I told him that I was looking at the online order form that I printed off and it clearly showed that I did not want to receive the stuff and then he hung up on me. I don't know about you, but it tells me that they definitely have an issue with ripping people off. I am turning this over to the Better Business Bureau.

• Wa
      30th of Oct, 2009

we need to get a bunch of us together to file a class action lawsuit against Homeland Housewares and their bogus internet scheme. contact me if interested...

wannabnireland@yahoo.com

• Mf
      7th of Nov, 2009

magic bullet sold at SEARS for 59.99 and even other places online and in person. Buying it from them, they over charges you for it. I bought it over the phone, they say 3 weeks for shipping, then it's 39.00 shipping or something, 3 payments of 33. something buy one get one free, not really, more like ha ha ha we lied to you and now you payed more, make you look and feel like a dumbass afterwards, these isn't right at all..

• Bl
      12th of Nov, 2009

They are definitely Scammers, you cannot get them on the phone, it stays off the hook the entire time they are hopen, and there is no response to emails sent via the website. I had ordered online, but received an email stating that the CC number was incorrect, so as STOOPID as I am, I emailed them back the correct CC number. I never heard anything for 2 weeks, I emailed asking for status, asking if the order was cancelled, ANY acknowledgement at all... I had given up, and my husband knew that I wanted one, so for my birthday he went online and ordered me another!!! I then recieved a confirmation on my order being SHIPPED, and could not contact them. We got Both on the same day, I marked my order REFUSED, and I am waiting to see what will be done, but they are not answering emails, and the phone STAYS busy, I don't think they ever intend on answering the phone. Also, my husbands invoice stated that he owed $29.99 for some extra Weight loss stuff that he SPECIFICALLY did not order. I am going to report them to Fox News, which is where I saw the ad. I am just as angry with them for allowing the ad!

18th of Nov, 2009

OMG. This company is the worst. The exact same thing has happened to me. I went online to place the order and once I saw the amount of shipping and handeling I backed completly out of this order and what do you know? They charged me anyway. I called customer service who said the order can not be canceled it has already been shipped. they send it usps so that you can't refuse it so that it just get dropped off at your door. The customer service perrson was so horribly rude to me. He told me that it was my fault and that I clicked the submit button and all other BS in the world. I can not believe the way in which this company is handleing it's sales. The customer service is the poorest I have ever seen. What have I got myself into? This is the absolute worst thing that I could have ever done in my life.

• Da
      9th of Dec, 2009

I purchased their "Magic Bullet" blender to make single serving smoothies. The quality of the blender is so, so: I would give it a C Rating, the blade attachment is difficult to seal without some muscle, it's also difficult to push-down on the cup to get it to blend, with the actuation mechanism "sticking". I would be surprised if it lasts 6 months without needing to be thrown away.

Additionally, they send you a "FAT burner" powder box, which is really just some vitamins (as labelled). If you order the blender, they send you this *complimentary* item. *** It's a trick! *** If you don't send the 2 boxes back to them, they will keep billing your credit card every 2 months. When they send you the receipt via email, it doesn't even include how much they are charging your card.

At the bottom of their return policy:

-----------------------------------------
    Special Note for Fat Burning Bullet Boost Auto-Shipment Program

Initial Shipment:
    * Initial shipment includes a 2-month supply (two boxes) of the Fat Burning Bullet Boost.
    * The first month's supply (1 box) is FREE, you pay only shipping and handling, charged at the time of initial order.
    * You will be charged for the second month's supply (one box) if it is not returned in 30 days.
    Subsequent Automatic Shipments:
    * You will automatically be sent an additional 2-month supply (two boxes) of the Fat Burning Bullet Boost every 60 days at
    the same monthly price per box plus shipping and handling billed at time of shipment.
    * Call customer service at 1-866-4-Homeland (1-866-446-6352) to cancel any future automatic shipments.
    * NOTE: No refunds will be issued for subsequent auto-shipments once they have already been shipped.
    -----------------------------------------

Their online business practices are scam laden with hidden costs all around.

My advice - steer clear of this product and this company!

• Sc
      13th of Jan, 2010

Same problem with me. Its a total scam. I ended up with 4 units on two orders. They finally agreed to send me a call tag after I got pretty irate. By the time I got the call tag they had billed my card for another payment, even though they knew I was sending one back. They insist they will refund my money minus the 47.50 original shipping charge . DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY.

• Be
      26th of Jan, 2010

I purchased a Magic Bullet after watching an (Homeland Housewares) infomercial on TV. They said those four sweat little magic words "only 3 eeezeee payments, I was hooked. I ordered by phone gave them my credit card number and waited for my Magic Bullet to arrive. It wasn't long and I received my cute little bullet. That day I planned on making an apple cake and used my Bullet. I thought I would get diced apples but I got close to applesauce. The next day I tried an egg omelet, it beat the egg great then I added the mushrooms and 1 cherry tomato when I poured it into the skillet I never saw a mushroom, the mushrooms were pulverized and the cherry tomato came out whole. I stared to laugh and said to myself "what's up with this". I called customer service several times spoke with three different customer service representative. The first one hung up on me, the second rep said if I didn't pay they would refer me to collections and the third rep I asked if I could speak to a Manager he replied "there is no manager here today just us slobs), how's that for customer service. After they billed my card for the first payment plus $40.00 shipping and handling fee I cancel my credit card and got a new card so they could not bill my card for the second and third payments. The sent me a letter stating they could not bill my card for the second payment and they gave me ten days to respond. I received a second letter before the ten days were up saying if I don't remit a payment they would send me to collections. I plan on paying off the balance of $66.33 by check, but if they continue with rudeness and threats I will only send them $5.00 per month. I have learned my lesson, a very expensive lesson I will never order anything from an Infomercial again. I also contacted the Better Business Bureau and filed a complaint and I'm seriously thinking about sharing my experience on MY SPACE and FACE BOOK. I'm also thinking about taking my Magic Bullet to work and have a raffle 2.00 a ticket, if just half of my co-workers purchase a ticket I could make $500.00 on the deal. If the winner complains after trying it for a week I would be happy to refund his/her money plus another $2.00 for any inconvenience. Hope everything works out for you all! God Bless.

• Zi
      22nd of Mar, 2010

Sorry for the bad experiences. I bought mine from the mall from that "As Seen on TV" store - no shipping costs. It works great. I've had it for over two years and make a banana, blueberry, strawberry, orange smoothie probably 20-25 times per month. I also use it about five times each summer to make salsa (very good), and an ocassional omlette. It doesn't always "chop" as the ad shows, but I still like it. I've since bought one for my two kids who live on their own and love it, and for my brother who has a business condo away from home - he loves it too. I just saw it for sale at Costco. Get one from here, great price, no shipping, and you get the large juice container too.

• Tr
      18th of Jun, 2010

My girlfriend ordered the magic bullet last week from their website and it offers a free fat burning boost. We don't need it but we decided to get it anyway since it was "free." She finished filling out the first page info (credit card, shipping info, etc.) and proceeded to the next page. We were reading the paragraph on the fat burning boost and it said that we will be charged $7.99 S&H. At that point we decided we didn't want it anymore so we clicked back and filled out a new page with all of our information on it. When she clicked next it said we had already placed an order!! At no point did we confirm purchase or see what the total was with shipping and handling or anything!! So, my girlfriend called the company, which was closed of course, even though their infomercial told us to call to place an order?! She sent an email complaint, checked it the next day and there was no response, go figure. So she decided to call them, and after reading all of these complaints, must have got the nicest customer service rep they have there. He told her everything about the subscription to the fat burning crap, gave her his phone number with extension, and told her to call back when we get the bullet to send the stuff back and cancel the subscription. Hopefully everything pans out and he wasn't just being nice because we didn't receive our products yet. THEIR WEBSITE IS DEFINITELY A SCAM WITH THE WAY YOU PLACE YOUR ORDER AND ALL THE OTHER HIDDEN CHARGES SITTING WITH ALL THEIR OTHER OFFERS!!! SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT THIS COMPANY BEFORE THEY RIP OFF ANY OTHER PEOPLE!!!

• Da
      9th of Jan, 2011

I seen the add on tv and ordered "THE MAJIC BULLET ' and the said I would receive it in about a week. I am still waiting for it to arrive they didn't waist any time to take the money out of my account!

• Va
      6th of Apr, 2011

This company is a just a big scamming moneymaking operation, almost as bad as Nigerians in internet cafés sending emails to make you buy pills

Never shop on the internet if you're not sure the seller is legitimate, or has been on shady commercials