Homeland Healthcare / Fraud

United States Review updated:
Homeland Healthcare
I was looking for insurance since I was not going to continue the overpriced COBRA benefits and they called me once I entered my information on eInsurance.com. Gave me their sales pitch and I took it. They send you to someone else to record the transaction to protect themselves and the last thing he told me was that this is not Helath Insurance very quickly even though the saleslady said it was. Anyway I got the information in the mail and on the card it said THIS IS NOT INSURANCE which they also misspelled my last name. I called and cancelled the "insurance" and I am still waiting for the refund. I called today and they told me it takes 30 days to get my money back due to their company policy. BEWARE of this company!!!

N  4th of Mar, 2009 by
I am considering this company would you please contact me at adrianasomberg@yahoo.com and advise me as to what plan you were considering.
N  4th of Mar, 2009 by
I just got off the phone with a HHC salesperson. Is this really a scam?
N  4th of Mar, 2009 by
It's a scam, they'll slip it in at the last minute that it's not insurance. I believe they sold me the silver plan. I am still waiting for my refund, minus the $75 transaction fee of course.

Homeland Healthcare's refund policy requires at least a thirty (30) day turnaround. We understand that your transaction shows immediately on your account; however, a banking or financial institution can take up to three weeks to release these funds, depending on their individual company policy. Our thirty (30) day policy ensures that there has been enough time for the institution to release the funds and/or advise us of any issues encountered during the collection process.

Homeland Healthcare LLC
D  28th of Mar, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
This is real insurance, however it is a limited benefits plan that provides first dollar coverage, if you cant afford or qualify for major medical this is a great plan.
A  2nd of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
i sign up for this same thing they told me it was issurance .They have not help with any of my billsI have been with them since jan.09 I will soon be canceling my policy.
they said they need proof of my previous ins urance .Isent it priortity mail and they keep saying they have not recieve it .
N  19th of May, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
well there is a lot of discount plans out there now, homeland on the lower silver plan is of somewhat a discount plan, but it is still decent for people that can't afford major medical, i am in the insurance bussiness if your are not satisfied with homeland check out our product, the website is www.usateamcorp.com if you are interested and would like to sign up for it you may contact me at taw62675@yahoo.com we are not currently in mississippi or alabama at this time
N  19th of Aug, 2009 by
The people who call to sell this "insurance" make it seem that you are buying in to a group plan. It has all the sounding of a group plan but it not. It is not even credible insurance coverage.

When I tried to cancel the plan I was talked to by Marcos who said that he was the Customer Service Manager and in fact it was a group plan and was correctly sold by the agent.

I have been trying to get a bill paid from a doctor visit in December of 08. They keep asking for unreasonable amounts of info just to keep from paying on this bill, which I don't believe they ever will.

Buyer beware!!
A  19th of Aug, 2009 by
You can get creditible insurance coverage for sometimes less than that amount that Homeland states and your bills will get paid. Don't fall for any of these so called claims. They will run you around asking for more and more info and even though you know it's been sent, they will claim they don't have it.

I have sent them so much paperwork and have been waiting since Dec 08 to have a bill paid. I am cancelling and the money I will save will pay the bill in 2 months - I've been waiting 8!!

Keep checking, look into your state program and use the referrals that they offer. There is legimate coverage out there if you don't have any!! Don't be scammed by this company any longer!
N  28th of Mar, 2010 by
Many of the complaints here are not valid. Firstly Homeland is the product and Markel Insurance is the insurance company underwriting the product. It is traded on the NY Stock Exchange under the symbol MKL. Secondly many of these complaints are about insurance agents or brokers who are either untrained or dishonest NOT Homeland. Thirdly...the specific benefits are listed very clearly on the website. I personally send my customers to the website AND mail them a copy of the benefits BEFORE the buy the plan.

It you have a problem with "Defined Benefit" plans then go buy a "major medical" plan...it is a better plan. BUT as you know many people are turned down and cannot qualify for "major medical plans.

I know many of these plans and Homeland is one of the best with many many happy customers.
A  3rd of Apr, 2010 by
My husband and I were both told this was a major health insurance policy. Just after we found out this was not major medical coverage I was denied insurance with a reputable insurance company. If we had not been deceived I would have been covered under the cobra plan and would not now be facing large medical bills due to the major heart attack I had one week after being denied major medical insurance. My husband is in Iraq for a year. Our plans were to get out of debt and have money to buy a house well guess you know how that is going to work out. No house for us and now I am not able to get any insurance because of pre-existing condition. Wish companies had to pay for their employees screw ups like this one.
N  5th of Apr, 2010 by
Several absurd complaints deal with cancelling the plan and not getting your money back
#1) The $75 application fee goes towards printing and delivering the new member kit. This money is spent so it is non-refundable
#2) One person here wants money for his past insurance...NO way Jose...you only get your money back for future un-used insurance

Homeland is very easy to deal with and will refund your money with no questions asked BUT there has to be some rules??

And lastly many of the complaints here are about independent brokers NOT Homeland Insurance. Please understand the difference between the two.
N  28th of Apr, 2010 by
To clarify, Homelands products ARE real health insurance, they are NOT major medical policies. There is a difference.

There's 3 types of health insurance out there:

Major medical, which 90% of you don't qualify for, discount plans which we all know you don't want, and fully insured limited benefit health insurance which is the best you can get. On the flipside, how can you expect paying for a lower cost plan to give you this INSANE amount of coverage as opposed to the higher cost plans? People buy a Bronze plan for $109 a month and expect the world. Given, there are some agents out there that willingly deceive, and as we find out about it, they are tossed out as fast as possible.

Fact of the matter is, someone always gets screwed. Whether it's Homeland, or Blue Cross. I've seen the claims for Homeland, I see the ones that get paid, and they are BIG. Sometimes, not everything works out in ones favor. Stop putting a bad name on Homeland because something didn't work right. Had you not been with homeland, you either would have had nothing or some crappy discount plan or low-end limited benefit health insurance. Like it or not, for most of you, this is the best you can get. But the good news is, it's real insurance and it works. I can't even begin to fathom how many of these complaints screwed people out of insurance altogether. Thanks everyone!
A  9th of Jun, 2010 by
I agree I refer many people who get turned down to Homeland healthcare and they have been very happy.
N  10th of Nov, 2011 by
I just signed up for a PPO group policy. I have shopped around for health insurance and this policy, the way it was sold to me, sounds legit. Does anyone have complaints about the PPO group (AWA) individual policy?