Homeland Health Care / Refund

1 403 Carriage LaneStreator, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 815-822-9568

First, I live on Social Security(can't afford to loose any money).
Second, I bought Homeland Health Insurance on line in March, 2010
Next, I went to hospital in April, 2010 with an infection from having a prostrate biopsy. The hospital submitted a claim to Homeland.
The following month I received a bill from the hospital, I contacted Homeland customer service, they told me I needed to get a letter of Crediteable Coverage from my previous carrier. So I called UCT customer service and asked them to fax that letter, they really didn't know what homeland meant but would contact them to find out..ok, good. The following month I received another bill from the hospital...NOTHING HAD BEEN PAID.
So I got back on the phone to Homeland trying to find out what was going on...they told me that they hadn't received the letter of Creditable Coverage. I called UCT again,
anyway, to make a long story shorter...this went on for 2 or 3 more months. Finally, I found out that Homeland wanted another letter from another carrier that I previously had prior to UCT...NO ONE told me this for several months !!
Now, finally Homeland gets the other letter from all my previous carriers. Still Homeland hasn't paid anything.
So ALL THIS TIME, HOMELAND HASN'T EVEN CONTACTED ME OR THE HOSPITAL, seems like they're avoiding the situation...NO CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ALL !!
Finally, late November early December I decided to change insurances to Humana to start in January, 2011. Since Homeland didn't care about anything or their customers,
I changed companies.
NOW, SINCE HOMELAND HASN'T PAID ANYTHING, I ASKED FOR A REFUND OF $1071.00($109.00/Mo.)...THEY REFUSED !! FOR THE REASON STATED TO ME FROM A CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPERVISOR "THAT THEY(Homeland) HAD RECEIVED CLAIMS AND INQUIRIES FROM PHYSICIANS WANTING TO SUBMIT A BILL . NOW THRU ALL MY PHONE CALLING, I FOUND A PERSON AT HAMMERMAN & GAINER, WHICH PAYS HOMELANDS CLAIMS...THAT HOMELAND AND HAMMERMAN & GAINER HAD RECEIVED 'ALL' THE CREDITABLE COVERAGE LETTERS SEVERAL MONTHS AGO AND THAT THEY(HAMMERMAN AND GAINER) HAD REFUSED TO PAY ANYTHING ON THESE CLAIMS, DUE TO 1 YEAR CREDITABLE COVERAGE...I DID NOT KNOW THIS AT ALL(when, I purchased the homeland insurance, NO ONE ever told me about 1 year coverage)...HE SAID, THAT THEY CONTACTED HOMELAND AND TOLD THEM THAT HAMMERMAN & GAINER WAS NOT GOING TO PAY ANYHING, NO ONE CALLED AND TOLD ME..BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE AGAIN !! ALSO, I HAD ASKED THIS MAN TO SEND ME ALL THE CLAIMS THAT THEY HAD RECEIVED TO BE PAID, HE SAID "THAT WOULD BE 'NO' PROBLEM BUT, THEY DIDN'T HAVE "ANY" CLAIMS TO BE PAID...NEVER HAD RECEIVED ANY!!
ALL THESE MONTHS HOMELAND HAS BEEN TAKING OUT $109.00 A MONTH AND NOT PAYING ANYTHING AND NOT TELLING ME THAT THEY WEREN'T GOING TO PAY ANYTHING UNTIL MY YEAR WAS COMPLETED IN MARCH 2011.
NOW SINCE I'VE GONE AHEAD AND CHANGED COMPANIES, AND "HOMELAND HASN'T PAID ANYTHING" I FEEL THAT I'M ENTITLED TO A REFUND OF MY $1071.00
There are a lot other things that homeland hasn't done, too many to write down here(this is already too long) I think, that I've tried to complete all that they asked for...and like I said, I live on SSI and can't afford to give my money away to someone that has given me the run around, DON'T YOU AGREE?

Comments

• Xx
      7th of Feb, 2011

I too am having problems with Homeland! I have not even started my 1st month & when I called to "activate" my account, I talked with a young lady who called herself Tequila, on top of that she had no last name, extension # or identification #! She told me the complete opposite of what the rep who sold me the policy (the rep has a last name, an ID # & an extension # which made it very easy to get in touch with her) had told me! Frightened, I called all parties concerning what is & is not covered. I became so overwhelmed I was in tears! It took only seconds for them to take $414 out of my account but I will have to jump through hurdles to get a refund, if I do! Homeland lied to me from the very 1st conversation! I already dread the next one! Anyway, I called the rep back (the nice lady who sold me the policy) & she explained that Homeland has nothing to do with the policy period, that they are just a supposed customer service & have NO idea of the real policy. Of course when I asked for my refund I was asked if there was a cancellation notice along with my policy, which of course there was not!! Something tells me she already knew that though. I called the original rep (in tears) & she told me to just try it, that I still have a free month & my appt. is in a few days. Can anyone tell me just how this is a "free month"? I mean just to sign up was over $400! Where is the free in that? Oh, I am disabled & on a limited income & I am 37 years of age, so why is my monthly premium $289? WOW!

• Ca
      10th of Mar, 2011

There is no doubt after reading this info that the first culprit is the sales office of the AHBinsure.com. They are the agents for several healthcare carriers. They are based in FL so you first want to call and write to their Attorney General's office and their Insurance Regulation Dept and complain of this fraud. We all are being misled about the benefits. The only reason I have been working on this is that my background is Casualty ins not Health. After 4 months of paying premium I still don't have a policy or info to get the discounted rates. They do not explain the coverages properly at all and they are very confusing. Next Homeland Insurance is an Administrator so they only put the ins packages together. Contact the AG in TX, Ins Dept and the Consumer Protection Dept. Also contact your own state AG and make a complaint. It is very possible that your AG can sue these companies with other AGs as a multi state legal case for us. email me starr3214@aol.com buy legal ins to help for only 9, 95 a month. they will get your money back if the AG doesn't.

• Al
      27th of Jul, 2011

HOMELAND HEALTH is a LLC. They are alson connected with VITALONE, another LLC provider. They all claim to be hooked up with Blue Cross/Blue Shie;d, Aetna, Cigna, United, etc... . Before I did anything I sent this up to the STATE OF ILLINOIS. I just did a search for State of Illinois Insurance. Right there is a number to call and they will verify if the company is a scam or for real. These companies ride the fence between those 2 dominions/domains. There is a number in your atate you can call to verify if this is true or not. Well, it is true BUT...and the BUT is HUGE. If you are even contemplating this insurance you must all all the companies they claim they have contracts with to make sure those contracts are still valid and in place. Do not believe what they tell you. You must validate that each company they claim is a provider still has a valid contract with this company.The company is an association and offersdiscounts. You have to make sure the contracts they claim are still valid.

Please let me emphasize that VITALONE is also connected to thei HOMELAND HEALTH. But, you woill not find complaints against VITALONE. All the complaints are under Homeleand Health. I also called Markal, teh underwriter of these companies. Markal is for real and licensed in Illinois; but, they know nothing about what these companies do. They can simply tell you that they are the underwriter.

I made VITALONE take me to their plans on line so I had a PDF to print out and fax to the dtaste of Illinois for review. I would never have found this document without this guy showing me how to navigate. I even remember his exact words: "Oh you cannot find it you are on an old webpage." Really!!! Funny had same addy as he gave me. Anyway, if you look at the plan on paper, every item is capped. Logically speaking 1, 000.00 per day for 10 days of ICU is ...I mean 10 minutes in ICU coasts 10, 000 dollars. Additionally, the DISCLAIMER in the small print on the last page says: "This brochure is not a contract of insurance. The terms and conditions of coverage will be detailed in the Certifi cate of Insurance issued once we receive your acceptance. If there are any differences between the terms and conditions of this brochure and the policy issued to you, the Certificate of Insurance will govern. The Certificate of Insurance is governed by the laws of the state in which it is delivered. Certain terms or provisions may be diff erent if required by the laws of that state.Discount Medical Benefi t Disclosures: This plan is NOT insurance. This discount card program contains a 30 day cancellation period.BEECHSTREET PPO NETWORK" For information on participating providers and discounts please visit www.beechstreet.com.

That DISCLOSURE alone should set off a warning alarm. It sis for me. The most imporant information the IL State Department of Insurance gave me was "if you are considering this plan, you must call every provder: Aetna, BC/BS, CIGNA, UNITED, all of them and make sure they really have contracts in place with this company. Now, logically speaking, if that were true then Cigna would not have quoted me 703.00/month and BC/BS would not have quoted me 836.00/month and that is still with a 5K deductible. They would have pffered me a better deal. So I wish this were true and that one could get insurance coverage for this price. But it is impossible.

Like the man from the State of Illinois said: If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is." I declined all ofers of coverage with these people. Glad I faxed it all to my state office. I am currently unemployed and cannot afford to be ripped off. Hope some of this helps other people out. All you have to do to check on offers that seem to be too good to be true is contact your state insurance office. In my case that was the state of Illinois Department of Insurance.

29th of Jul, 2011

IGoing through the same thing- been paying for 2 years and not ONE claim has been serviced.. First they needed the letter of cc then they never got it- now they are supposedly seeking info on pre existing conditions. It's all BS. They probably use an abundance of loop holes to keep what they are doing "legal" but there is also a thing called reasonable expectation. We all need to get together and sue their pants off for fraud, defamation, misrepresentation and not upholding their end of the contract.

13th of Nov, 2011

AlphaOmega...wish I had read your post and others before I signed up. B3CKVH... I'll be the first in line for a class action lawsuit. If anyone has info on such a potential lawsuit, please send me info.. I will check back on this website and... if I can get a lawyer to take it, I will certainly post it.

13th of Nov, 2011

Contact Cherel Depew and demand your premiums back on the condition that if they do not comply, you will be contacting the attorney general and department of insurance.

13th of Nov, 2011

Never Give up: first step is to get all of us to write official letters of complaint- I will gladly use my extensive knowledge of insurance law to make it happen

13th of Nov, 2011

Thank you B3CKVH. I am planning on filing official complaints with the Texas Department of Insurance, the Attorney General and the BBB, as well as a letter to the CEO and President in Allen, TX, which is about 15 miles from where I live. How do you come by your knowledge of insurance law?

14th of Nov, 2011

I am a licensed agent and Director of Education for a Pre-licensing school. Federal and state laws are an extensive part of the Pre-licensing curriculum.

14th of Nov, 2011

I will likely have to find another health insurance provider. Even if I get restitution from HLHC, it will likely not be in time to help us with medical bills and I won't trust them again. Does anyone know of an ethical affordable insurance provider for a limited benefit policy (basic things: doctor visits, diagnostic incl. x-ray, labs, surgical, wellness visits, some hospital coverage, generic prescriptions)? I have found a great prescription assistance program for name brand drugs. If you make annual income of $30k or less or $50k for a married couple, go to www.prescriptionhope.org. If they have pharmaceutical companies that carry your drug in their program, you can obtain assistance for $15 per month per prescription. They have been a tremendous help for us.