HomeDecorators.com / My warning experience to others!

I am writing to report my experience with homedecorators.com. I bought a desk chair from them ca. 4 months ago, which fell apart about a week ago. They have refused any help or adjustment. If nothing else, my experience may serve as a warning to others!

Quoted below is an e-mail exchange that is pretty self-explanatory. Having spent $ 150 on a chair that fell apart a few days after the return period (90 days) ran out is annoying, but what really makes me mad is the blithe refusal to take any responsibility.

At 3:12 PM +0000 3/22/07, Nikki wrote:

Dear Dr. Theopold,

Thank you for your email.

Please accept our apologies for failing to provide you with the quality you expected. I appreciate you informing us of this concern. Our return policy states that items need to be returned within 45 days for a refund or within 90 days for an exchange or merchandise credit. Therefore, we are unable to accept the return of your order or issue replacement parts.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you for shopping with Home Decorators Collection.

We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,
Nikki
Internet Representative

--- Original Message ---
From: Klaus Theopold <theopold AT udel.edu
Received: 3/19/2007 11:14:16 AM Central Standard Time (GMT - 6:00 )
To: home_decorators AT homedecorators.com
Subject: Home Decorators Collection - Return/Exchange - [protected]

Order Number: [protected]
Item Number: [protected] (?)

Dear Madam/Sir, I am writing with regard to a desk chair that I ordered from you in November 06. It turns out that this item was either very poorly designed, or - more likely - defective. The armrests on the chair have broken off, and it is apparent that the welding that secured them to the frame of the chair has just come apart. I think this should not happen under normal circumstances of use, such as pushing down on the armrests in the process of getting up from the chair. I have called your customer service number, and while the agent was friendly and sympathetic, he also insisted that after a 90-day period there was nothing he could do for me. I am writing in the belief that you may want to reconsider this stance. I am open to any suggestion you might have to address this problem. Failing any attempt at resolution, you will certainly lose me as a customer. I look forward to your response.

Consumer Follow-up Message
From: Klaus
Date: Tuesday, 27-Mar-07 12:26:01 CDT

Dear Madam/Sir,

I wrote to you (see below) a few days ago. At the same time I also lodged a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, which has led to a rather dramatic turnaround in this matter. In brief, I have now been promised a full refund of my money, and I consider my problem resolved. Under these circumstances, it might be appropriate to remove my complaint from your website (where I was pleased to see
it), or to make a note of the eventual satisfactory response of Home Decorators.

Regards, Klaus Theopold

Comments

• Re
      27th of May, 2007

Dear Home Decorators

I ordered city lights settee set before easter. It not only arrived way after the ruined celebrations but with the couch so damaged I had to return it. I called and requested an exchange for a second love seat instead of the couch - guess what , not only did a wrong item arrive several weeks late, but all busted- again I returned it. I am fearful to request another exchange (which may arrive before xmas) and would like to have my funds refunded.

• Ji
      8th of Aug, 2009

most these companys are companys all bty same warehouse called drop ship they sighn up start small home based easy to do order magazines after reviewing all items they want be selling example furniture and home good ok then you order they get payment made say 300 of you order auto goes to a warehouse that does this for hundreds of company's all different names slaps there name on box ships to you called drop ship there selling someone else product why takes so long they are middle me/women do nothing but make sure keep updates on prices and website is ran by a webmaster on most due they don't have a clue but getting back reason comes from the first supplier like buying from a friend that got it from a friend for you he have go back plead your case and see what they say now they have probably thousands of company's a day calling faxing request takes forever it sucks bit the govt lets them due this drop ### just putting any name you made up as a company on there warehouse full of crap probably ran by the govt i did research find owners on this huge warehouse in virginia way in the sticks factory is almost half mile long full items brought in this country from china alll over i found 7 same businesses who knows how many more they own no owners name 2 who has that type money back 1 warehouse this big guy did underground research on anarchy.com said billion and billion of dollars in item seen military i mean who has this power why are country is going to ### buying from people u think are Americana company s fronts for govt trade but you stop company through drop ship they send you like 300 magazines full of stuff lamps example 4.00 tells you you can get 100.00 for it and thery due people pay all name brand crap just if it is govt they be getting it for penny's die for trade policy and they need do this so easy way public don't ### start company were Americans sell through catalogs like they have it i found 1 was a 19 year old kid not i item as he is in college will not say he probably be thrown out he was having them print his catalogs after going through all books picking his 1000 items to sell put price next to them he wants add his checking direct deposit sit back they do almost all why? ask yourself why? why sell i pod touch to them for 30.00 and they sell for 300 say example they need keep good on policy .best way get people only certain people get accepted not credit either my boy own 5 shops and has lots and he got denied told him he was not qualified. why? no see more more drop ships sneaking in now it from them to another company drop ship leaving no trace no they cleaned it up more now you have 4 people get by its bull people govt is screwing us daily and we just bend over take it deep and how they want i am no ### just see what is facts truth proven seen stuff pics people were employees military why military they protect the us govt not some Joe smoes warehouse way out in the sticks and all factory's found remote locations deep in forest areas boonies all military guarded .all are almost half mile in servaying them from distance probally bigger and just as wide i mean think building fit 1 million cars in its unreal well its true look up drop ship they are popping up everywhere read what they do... stop then think whats said here .

• La
      29th of Dec, 2010

I purchased a desk from homedecorators.com and the desk parts were all scratched, the instructions were backwards (some) and some parts were mislabled. They supposedly order replacement parts but they have not come yet and it's been a month. I tried to post my rating on their website three days ago but it has not posted yet. I believe they monitor that so people are not informed. Here is my comment: "This was the third item purchased from Home Decorators. I was very disappointed. The first box arrived and all pieces were fine, looked great. I unpacked, check, and arranged them awaiting for the second shipment. Second box arrived the next day. Ever piece was scratched except the top. I was heart broken because I had such high hopes.

I called customer service. They were supposed to replace 4 of the scratched pieces. This was 11/25. Finally I got tired of waiting and rubbed Old English scratch cover. This worked. I put the desk together.

Several parts were mislabeled…if you are not a handy person, you would have a difficult time putting this piece together.

The tracks for the drawers were misaligned so the drawers went in crooked (especially the left drawer above the computer cabinet). I had to completely adjust the tracks in the left drawer. A few imperfections on the top. But I had to keep telling myself that it only cost $279 + shipping.

Considering the cost and the quality of wood (which I think is good) it is an ok buy. I believe they bank on customers not putting up with the hassle of returning such a huge item. As much as I wanted to return it, the thought of loosing my shipping cost and the cost I would have to pay to return ship. Heck, I was better of keeping it. I don’t want to feel that way about something I purchase.

I wanted to purchase the file cabinet but it will have to be really discounted before I purchase another thing from them. I told customer service about my trouble an they offered me $10 off my next purchase (what an insult).

They also sent me an email with a 10% off my next purchase but when I click through the banner I cannot get the 10% to work."

I hope my desk does not start to fall apart like I read above. If you cannot get anything resolved I suggest you contact the attorney general in your state.

• Je
      16th of Oct, 2018
    HomeDecorators - Golden oak walnut fireplace tv stand
    Canada

My product came as a manufactured defect. In the beginning, i thought i did something wrong while building it but result to some damaged planks so i ask replacements. But still the problem doesnt resolve. The replacement came defect again. Your product is not a good quality, the wood damaged easily.