HomeAway.com / abetting rental scams

Las Vegas, NV, United States Review updated:

Booked 3 months in advance "1 Acre 'Jungle & Beach Estate" - it is a HomeAway.com listing #363323 and paid 50% hard earned deposit amounting to $1, 575 USD. It turns out the advertiser, Kris Greven, is a SCAMMER and is actually not the owner of the place. She accordingly lost the lease and cannot pay back the deposits to renters. She points to the actual owners of the property, DICKSON AND ERICA GIL, who in her email description are "are the epitome of evil and scam. They are mailicous, phony and diabolical... and... are the ones sitting on everyone's money and my property. They are the dark hearted, lying two faced cons. . They robbed all of us, and they got away with it."

I have no means of verifying these allegations so I seeked help from HOMEAWAY.COM who purportedly is the "the world's most trusted vacation rental website". Turns out to very far from truth & reality. It turns out they don't do their homework to protect renters using their website and in my personal opinion only interested in advertising revenue. What do I get? -- an email from Donna of Homeaway.com that I copy pasted below. Be aware when you are planning of booking a rental from the website.. you will get no help at all when things go wrong. Here is the website's email - I replaced my actual name with my username:

Quad_12,

We understand your frustration regarding the events you experienced with this advertiser.

Please understand that our site is a venue for advertisement; we are not involved in the transactions between travelers and advertisers. This dispute would need to be resolved with the advertiser as they are the party who took part in the transaction.

We're sorry again for your experience and that this situation was not resolved to your satisfaction. We encourage you to continue communicating with the advertiser.

Regards,

Donna
US Trust & Security
HomeAway® | VRBO® | VacationRentals™

Qu

Comments

• Qu
      Jul 16, 2011

Booked 3 months in advance "1 Acre 'Jungle & Beach Estate" - it is a HomeAway.com listing #363323 and paid 50% hard earned deposit amounting to $1, 575 USD. It turns out the advertiser, Kris Greven, is a SCAMMER and is actually not the owner of the place. She accordingly lost the lease and cannot pay back the deposits to renters. She points to the actual owners of the property, DICKSON AND ERICA GIL, who in her email description are "are the epitome of evil and scam. They are mailicous, phony and diabolical... and... are the ones sitting on everyone's money and my property. They are the dark hearted, lying two faced cons. ... They robbed all of us, and they got away with it."

I have no means of verifying these so I seeked help from HOMEAWAY.COM who purportedly is the "the world's most
    trusted vacation rental website". Turns out to very far from the truth & reality. It turns out they don't do their homework to protect renters using their website and in my personal opinion only interested in advertising revenue. What do I get? -- an email from Donna of Homeaway.com that I copy pasted below. Be aware when you are planning of booking a rental from the website.. you will get no help at all. Here is the website's email - I replaced my actual name with my username:

Quad_12,

Regards,

Donna
    US Trust & Security
    HomeAway® | VRBO® | VacationRentals™

• Nu
      Apr 18, 2012

Hi
    homeaway is crap. I am a property owner, and I have had 2 horrid experiences in homeaway:
    The first one: when my property manager in London fell really ill, and we didnt have any access to bookings, they refused to help me giving me details of all enquiries so I could contact people again. I went through a horrible experience. Eventually, I could find the password of my manager by other means, and had access to enquiries, but no help from homeaway even though I told them people could be left literally on the street if we didnt know who was coming when.
    The second one : Their contact form has been hacked, someone has been replying to enquiries of different properties, mine amongst them, and they sold my fltat in London for one week to a family in france. The family had received my email on top of the scam email, but they when for the cheaper option even though it was coming from the same advert. Instead of having a security alert, they decided it was my fault, and have sent scary emails to all my retener suggesting I am a scam. But even if they thought that, they dont remove my advert!